Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 05:26 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PITA
For those of you that have made the “bagger wobble” a repetitive, common phrase on here, please consider the following...

On a regular basis, reluctant buyers come on here and ask about this wobble that they hear of on sites such as this and from bagger brace manufactuers. It seems our most common response is “sure they wobble but this brace will eliminate it”.

Now let’s define a wobble: defined it’s a pronounced quick oscillation that clearly implies instability. In the motorcycling context, particularly for those of us who have raced bikes, a wobble is often used to describe a tank slapper or a speed wobble or a death wobble. As someone who’s experienced the bars on my sportbike going stop to stop at over 100mph – I can tell you that a wobble is often uncontrollable, is downright dangerous and sometimes fatal.

In realty, without getting into the details, what some people are experiencing on Harley tourers - under the right load and circumstances and always outside of normal operating conditions - is some chassis flex or in the words of the recent Cycle World test; a “slight weave”. It IS completely controllable, and I don’t think a seasoned rider would panic if they were to encounter it. Of course, under the "duh!" category; “no weave” is better than “a slight weave” so a brace or any number of modifications that can improve handling is never a bad idea.

My RKC shares space in my garage with a Ohlins equiped Fireblade and a paralever/telelever equiped BMW. Despite its relatively humble technology, I find the Harley to be amazingly agile and fairly compentent for its size and origins. Sure it can be more stable at higher speeds, but possibly at the expense of its amazing low speed handling. Cycle World seems to agree with me, calling the ’08 RKC the best handling and most confidence inspiring bagger of the 8 that they tested in October.

So lets leave the sensationalizing to those trying to make a buck. We are not being truthfull or doing anybody a service implying that pre-09 baggers are downright unstable or even dangerous.

..there, I feel better.
I've been watching this thread for a few days just to see what folks have to say about your original comments. Couldn't disagree more. The fact that you own multiple bikes with varying technology does NOT mean there isn't a problem with oscillating/wobble/shake or whatever you want to call it. Why in the world do you think there are multiple vendors selling various solutions to the problem? If it wasn't there, would there even be a market for those solutions? I ride very hard, and have experienced it many times. It's not my alignment, head bearings, or swingarm bushings because those have all been checked. HD Reps themselves told me personally in Sturgis at the Convention Center a few years back that the "wobble" we experience is from the frame flexing under stressed conditions. i.e. loaded up with lots of baggage, hard cornering with heavy loads, or long sweepers with excessive speed. All of which I do, and so do many other members on this forum. Ignoring the problem doesn't make it go away. Neither does bashing folks and suggesting that they don't know what they're talking about. HD's solution to me was: "Don't go over 75, and NEVER under any circumstances overload your luggage capacity. Yea, right! Like that's going to happen. They further said if you'll play by those rules, you'll never have a problem. So, maybe that answers why so many have not experienced the infamous "wobble"...They're playing by the rules. Good for them. My stabilizer will go on this winter....I actually believe all those that said it helped solve, if not entirely solved their problem once installed.. There, now I feel better too.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:14 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the links!

Old 11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some folks do tend to get a bit carried away when talking about it.

My HOG will wallow a bit now and then, sometimes it's a bit more like a hula. I do tend to ride fast and overloaded on chitty pavement and gravel though.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:49 PM
Born2Glide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It just cracks me up when I read people say that the wobble is just a made up thing to sell stabilizers...what a joke!

First off a wobble is defined by Merriam-Webster as; 1 a: to move or proceed with an irregular rocking or staggering motion or unsteadily and clumsily from side to side.

A weave is; to move in a devious, winding, or zigzag course especially to avoid obstacles

So we should call it what it is, a wobble. I have felt this happen several times and don't like it much, kinda gives you a out of control feeling for just a second. I have never felt like my life was in danger, nor would I expect any seasoned rider to feel that, however if you could bolt on an after market devise that would prevent it from happening altogether then why not?

Because I understand why it happens and I know I can control the bike when it does, I have not purchased a stabilizer yet, but it is on my list.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
J2X
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks PITA. I am a first time owner or an 07 RKC. I have not experienced a discernable 'wobble' even when I take a hard turn. I am a new HD and probably don't know what it feels like. But your explanation does clarify the problem. Hopefully visitors to the site will understand the difference if they are contemplating buying one, and ask logical questions of a dealer and not make any real decisions soley based upon our discussions here.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What can be said that hasn't been said? If you want one get it, if you don't then don't buy it. This is America, you can choose.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:50 PM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are not a "spirited rider" you may not ever feel the "wobble" which I describe as "pogoing", kinda an up and down and side to side movement all at the same time. I did install a True Trac and feel it is money well spent, have not felt it since. For those that have limited time in the saddle, you may never get to know what is the wobble. Most likely 65 to 70 plus mile per hour in a long sweeper, with somethin like a dip or pavement transition to set it off. For those that have never experienced it - terrific. For those of us that know what it feels like, well most have installed a brace of some sort.

To just plain say it does not exist is only re-enforcing that you just dont know what it is. Is it life threatening, well speaking from experience, no, but experiencing it with a bike that maybe does have a lot of miles and some wear in the bushings could be a whole 'nother matter.

This debate will rage on from now until the last pre 09 finally is in the scrapyard.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:00 PM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto!

Old 11-26-2008, 09:03 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On edit: never mind

Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

As someone who hasn't experienced this issue, I have a question for those that have.

When you get the 'wobble', do you get on your throttle or get off it?

I would think to get on it and ride 'out' of the wobble rather back off. On some go-fast, seriously fast boats, when the boat starts to chine walk, we crank hard on the speed so as to ride out of the 'walk'. If you decelerate sometimes the boat will dig in hard and over you go!. Obviously this depends on the type of water, wind, hull design and etc, etc,etc.... (similar to variable riding conditions)

Just curious!?!?!

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!