Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
To me all this is bs,it's like heated clothing,it was all stupid to me untill I tried it ,now in the winter I won't be without it,same thing with the brace deal, if you haven't tried one,you don't know what you are talking about.
+1. It's like trying to convince a Sportster, Dyna, or Softail rider that touring bikes are better - until they've experienced the difference, they just don't know. Or a non-Harley rider..."If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand", right?

Old 11-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rc9636
Whew! I'm glad we cleared this up because I was beginning to think my *** must be dead since I haven't felt any major wobble to spark a concern.
ROFL ROFL

I have to agree.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have no problems with guys who may have experienced a wobble or wallow, nor do I begrudge anyone who feels the need to buy a brace. Although wonder how many "wobbles" felt are due to the fact that every third guy on this (and other) forums are telling people their bikes wobble. Its the placebo effect on a rather large and expensive scale.

But I do have issue with lawyers, consumer advocates, vampires, and other bloodsucking undead, trying to blame wobbles on peoples deaths. As I said before NO HARLEY, WHEN PROPERLY RIDDEN, LOADED, AND MAINTAINED HAS EVER WOBBLED BAD ENOUGH TO KILL ITS RIDER.

Google "HARLEY WOBBLE" and you will see that almost every single result is someone trying to make money off this supposed lethal problem. Of course the lawyers are trying to convince the jury that the big bad MOCO is gleefully slaughtering its customers. The widow cries, and they want to wipe her tears with the HD checkbook. And it dont matter if it really happens, cause if they win ONE case, it sets a precident. No matter if the guy died on a bike with worn tires, loose bearings, and he was legally drunk. Accuracy is not required to win a lawsuit, but concensus is.

But you know who really pays the price for this hysteria. You and me in higher MSRP on bikes. But by all means... Dont listen to me or the myriad of others who say "What wobble". Buy your brace, bask in its improvment in handling, revel in your new found confidence that your bike will now only take a passive role in trying to kill you.

Just dont try to convince me you're right and I'm wrong, and sure as hell, dont try to convince me that all hogs wobble.

Tim

Old 11-25-2008, 02:08 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All else being equal (and in good running order) I think the biggest factor in the rear-end-wallow-causing-front-end-wobble is tires/wheels that aren't tracking the same line and plane while going straight. You start getting side-to-side components in addition to front-to-back in the action of the suspension/frame/steering and you'll start getting front-end wobble, noticeable especially like when going through a curve that isn't glass-smooth. I believe the '07 Touring shop manual calls for the rear tire to track within 1/16" either side of the front. I'd bet the bikes that wobbled the worst were the farthest out of alignment of the bunch.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:49 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowracer
I have no problems with guys who may have experienced a wobble or wallow, nor do I begrudge anyone who feels the need to buy a brace. Although wonder how many "wobbles" felt are due to the fact that every third guy on this (and other) forums are telling people their bikes wobble. Its the placebo effect on a rather large and expensive scale.

But I do have issue with lawyers, consumer advocates, vampires, and other bloodsucking undead, trying to blame wobbles on peoples deaths. As I said before NO HARLEY, WHEN PROPERLY RIDDEN, LOADED, AND MAINTAINED HAS EVER WOBBLED BAD ENOUGH TO KILL ITS RIDER.

Google "HARLEY WOBBLE" and you will see that almost every single result is someone trying to make money off this supposed lethal problem. Of course the lawyers are trying to convince the jury that the big bad MOCO is gleefully slaughtering its customers. The widow cries, and they want to wipe her tears with the HD checkbook. And it dont matter if it really happens, cause if they win ONE case, it sets a precident. No matter if the guy died on a bike with worn tires, loose bearings, and he was legally drunk. Accuracy is not required to win a lawsuit, but concensus is.

But you know who really pays the price for this hysteria. You and me in higher MSRP on bikes. But by all means... Dont listen to me or the myriad of others who say "What wobble". Buy your brace, bask in its improvment in handling, revel in your new found confidence that your bike will now only take a passive role in trying to kill you.

Just dont try to convince me you're right and I'm wrong, and sure as hell, dont try to convince me that all hogs wobble.

Tim
You are wrong, there have been several cases where LEOS were killed from high speed wobble and the cases went to court. I don't particularly follow this stuff but I know of at least three cases where LEOs ended up dead because of speed induced wobble on a Harley. Sorry, you are wrong. Oh and I do ride my SG hard but hardly out of the design limits. Hit a good bump or a dip in a sweeper at about 70 miles an hour. It will wobble or tail wag as I like to call it. Letting off the throttle stops it it. But why should I have to when a fix is readily available from several manufactures.

Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
You are wrong, there have been several cases where LEOS were killed from high speed wobble and the cases went to court.
Can you point me toward one of these? I'd be interested in reading about it.

Thanks,

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's amazing how many people think that a handling problem has to affect ALL bikes and/or be DEADLY to warrant improvement!

Old 11-25-2008, 03:59 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brunswickoh
Can you point me toward one of these? I'd be interested in reading about it.

Thanks,
I'll see if I can find them or at least one. It was part of my research when I bought my 07. A friend that is a BMW rider and was trying to convince me to by a BMW rather than a Harley. He dug up the articles. I made the determination that it was not a big enough concern to warrant not buying a Harley.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Here you go, this is one of the three I am aware of:

http://www.policeone.com/Motorcycle-...torcycle-suit/

Old 11-25-2008, 04:43 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

Here is another one I knew about but was not thinking about:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/...orcycle_crash/

I can keep going but you guys get the idea.

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!