Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's not a freak'n wobble!

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonjim
Okay, I am new here, and new to HD's. From what I am gathering is that pre 09 there is a slight "wobble" problem. Some feel it worse than others. What did HD do to fix said problem for the 09's? It sounds to me as if they put in beefier bushings on the swing arms. That sounds like it would make sense. I guess my question is why not replace your bushings and fix the problem proper instead of putting a band aid on by putting a brace on the bike. Some one said earlier that you may be looking at cracked frames later on. That might be a bit extremem but you are putting preasure on a spot on the frame that was not designed to accept said preasure. If it were me, I think that I would rather fix the problem right and be done with it. Just one less thing to worry about. Just my .02 cents.

Jim
09 has a completely redesigned frame and engine mounting system. The wobble or tail wag problem isn't a huge problem on prior years, but when it does happen it can be a bit unsettling. It is a long standing issue with baggers. Over the lat few years the root cause of the problem has been identified by the aftermarket. The aftermarket has come up with numerous solutions to the problem. By all accounts, all solutions seem to solve the problem. Some with better results than others. YMMV.

This minor issue should not keep anyone from buying a pre-09 bike. In all likelihood, most riders will not experience the problem. You typically have to be an experienced rider, riding on high speed winding highways that are not well maintained to ever experience the bagger wobble problem. The bike has to become unsettled in a sweeper at 70MPH or so to start tail wagging.

Old 11-22-2008, 09:07 AM
T Rat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley doesn't put a K&N filter on your bike from the factory...so why do so many here put them on their bikes? Does your bike not run properly with the R & D developed and installed air cleaner and filter setup. OH....its a performance increase from your engine you are looking for? Hmmmm, the '09 has a third engine support that was brought about by the aforementioned "100,0000.00 or (properly punctuated 10,000,000.00) R & D". That said, the air filter replacement on your bike is a waste of money as well?

I am 100% positive that every single HD that rolls off the assembly line performs "exactly" as the one that rolled off prior to; and every one thereafter! Yeah, right!!!

If people are using "scare tactics" to sell their product...shame on them! In retrospect, if they offer a solution that alleviates issues that may present themselves to a 290 lb. rider and a 280 lb. passenger but does not affect a 180 lb. rider and 170 lb. passenger, yaaay! Many variables, if the fix is for you or you prefer the difference, go for it.

Is it a necessary purchase...I dunno. If it works for you, go for it.
Chocolate or Vanilla, Chrome or Subdued, brace or no brace, let the individual decide.

Last edited by T Rat; 11-22-2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 11-22-2008, 07:51 PM
flgator529
Tourer

Originally Posted by T Rat
Harley doesn't put a K&N filter on your bike from the factory...so why do so many here put them on their bikes? Does you bike not run properly with the R & D developed and installed air cleaner and filter setup. OH....its a performance increase from your engine you are looking for? Hmmmm, the '09 has a third engine support that was brought about by the aforementioned "100,0000.00 or (properly punctuated 10,000,000.00) R & D". That said, the air filter replacement on your bike is a waste of money as well?

I am 100% positive that every single HD that rolls off the assembly line performs "exactly" as the one that rolled off prior to; and every one thereafter! Yeah, right!!!

If people are using "scare tactics" to sell their product...shame on them! In retrospect, if they offer a solution that alleviates issues that may present themselves to a 290 lb. rider and a 280 lb. passenger but does not affect a 180 lb. rider and 170 lb. passenger, yaaay! Many variables, if the fix is for you or you prefer the difference, go for it.

Is it a necessary purchase...I dunno. If it works for you, go for it.
Chocolate or Vanilla, Chrome or Subdued, brace or no brace, let the individual decide.
Good point. Air intake and exhaust are regulated by the EPA The OEM's have to work within the EPA guide lines in order to meat emissions and sound db's But you are right other then looks and sound most are a waste of money. Some even hurt performance.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:56 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bostonjim
Okay, I am new here, and new to HD's. From what I am gathering is that pre 09 there is a slight "wobble" problem. Some feel it worse than others. What did HD do to fix said problem for the 09's? It sounds to me as if they put in beefier bushings on the swing arms. That sounds like it would make sense. I guess my question is why not replace your bushings and fix the problem proper instead of putting a band aid on by putting a brace on the bike. Some one said earlier that you may be looking at cracked frames later on. That might be a bit extremem but you are putting preasure on a spot on the frame that was not designed to accept said preasure. If it were me, I think that I would rather fix the problem right and be done with it. Just one less thing to worry about. Just my .02 cents.

Jim
Jim - the '09s have a redesigned frame, swingarm and motor mount system. My '07 exhibited what I call "wallow" at moderate speeds and noticable instability at higher speeds before it's 1000-mile service. If that was worn bushings, then HD has/had a recallable issue. If it were bushings, the Bagger Brace would not have eliminated the symptoms - but it did. If the Bagger Brace cracks the frame, I will accept that (ain't gonna happen) and will repair the frame in a manner that will accept the stress in a satisfactory manner. You are correct about fixing the problem right. I did, and I'm not going to worry about it.

I have yet to see ANYONE - including the manufacturers of the various braces - claim that everyone needs one or that the bikes are unsafe without them. If you want to improve the handling of your pre-'09 touring bike, try a brace. If you don't want to, don't.

If this is all in my (well, our) head(s), then the cost of the brace is darn cheap therapy. Spend $175-400, apply once, and you are CURED.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:28 PM
orke
Intermediate

No wobble on my 07 ultra??
I guess it's a swagger?
Kind of like a fat ladys *** as she struts on past.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 PM
07yellowglide
Road Warrior

I have never understood this "wobble" topic........I have taken my baby all over the east coast and ridden the crap out of it up in the mountains including the dragon and other roads in that area....I've ridden the blue ridge and all that and never experienced anything to make me pucker up or feel unsafe with thebike.....or this wobble.....my girl tracks nicely and I feel very secure loaded down...feet up on the pegs and smiling.....

I don't know...guess i'M missing out on all the fun......

Old 11-22-2008, 08:53 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I experienced the "wobble" on my 1990 Ultra , always came to the same conclusion...... At high speeds over 100mph the air passing around the saddlebags caused the bike to become unstable.

After all..... its a touring bike, Not a racing bike!!

Old 11-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Grizzled
Intermediate

Answer for "96 Ultra". The swing arm on your bike is mounted on the engine/trans, not the frame, and being mounted in rubber it allows the engine/trans/swing arm to move sideways when under stress. Therefore when you connect the engine/trans to the frame(which all of the braces do) you eliminate the sideways movement and any mistracking of the swing arm.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 PM
T Rat
Tourer

Interesting topic which covers bushings, swingarms, maintenance, and the "rear steer" or whatever it is some experience or don't experience. May shed some light on some of the questions peeps have.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3Den%26sa%3DG

Old 11-23-2008, 04:32 AM
IndyClassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you T Rat........best reason for cause/effect/improvement (not repair) I have seen on this subject.

Quick Reply: It's not a freak'n wobble!