Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride of a life time

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 07:50 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is pretty interesting. No, its not a scam, but it will be a money maker. From reading their web site, it sounds like this will be a reallity show. They will choose a few key characters to follow along the way. Its also limited to Harleys only. To bad the IBA who has been doing this for years is being left out of the concept. Since it is being filmed, it would be nice to see different classes. I believe the record from Key West Florida to Deadhorse Alaska now stands at 85 Hours and some few minutes on a Yamaha FJR. The previous record was like 99 hours set on a Ducati ST. No matter, it should be fun to watch and a blast to participate in.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:05 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at some of the charities. Seems like a good cause if you are up for that kind of ride..

http://www.hokaheychallenge.com/Charities.html

Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Only if

If I were 30 years younger !
I'd give it a go, but now I'd rather see it at my leisure.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:49 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Hell, I was at Black Hills H-D during Sturgis, and saw this booth set up there advertising the Hoka Hey Challenge. There was so much else to see that I paid little attention to it there, but they were handing out flyers, etc.

The $500,000.00 prize to the first person there is supposed to be a real deal - but as stated, it will be a reality show with camera trucks rolling along, boom mikes, every cuss word and mini-drama shot in close-up, and they'll cover the costs by selling airtime to advertisers on the TV show (likely including H-D). It will be a circus...

Still, if you think you have a legitimate crack at the $500K I can see investing ~ $5K in an attempt to win $500K - what is that in return on your investment (ROI), something like a 100,000% - assuming you win it?

But I would imagine that in an attempt to win it we're not talking a lot of hotel stays and hot showers, etc. ...it would be a mad dash if you were really trying to get there first. Riding through the night, weather, whatever... If you were just doing it as a liesurely touring ride rather than a race for the purse, well, whats the point?

Do it by yourself, don't pay the entry fee, and enjoy the trip.

They do say you can have a support team, however, (at your own expense,) so I'd also imagine that anyone who was serious about the $500K would have spare parts, gasoline, lubricants, tools, and tires, etc. in the support truck. (They don't say you can tag-team riders, though, ...that would be interesting if you could ride as a team 24/7!)

Old 08-14-2009, 10:59 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

>> it will be a reality show with camera trucks rolling along, boom mikes, every cuss word and mini-drama shot in close-up,

....... sorta like 'Easy Rider' for the 21st century, w/o the sex & drugs & campfires.
........ i think i'd sorta miss at least 2 of those.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:08 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

....... imagine the footage/voicetrack from the windshield cam focused on the rider's face when the guy on a Vrod passes the CVO rider who skipped pissin' @ the last gas stop to get a headstart on everybody.
..... will folks w/ 6 gallon tanks have to not fill'm all the way up to make it fair for the 5 gal. riders ?
... will Ultra riders use their CB's to team up & block RoadGliders & those pesky little SG guys ?
... i could see some interesting television coming outta this thing.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:13 AM
cbears
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to ride from Kansas to Alaska and back some day but I sure ain't gonna pay someone $1,000.00 to do it. That would pay for the whole trip probably for me, well as long as you don't count HD T-Shirts.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hell, it's a 1000 mile ride for me to get to Key West, can I just leave from NM?

Old 08-14-2009, 12:41 PM
0069fatboy
Tourer

Sounds like a fun ride...don't understand the need to make it a race...lots of good stuff to see along the way...

Old 08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by groupw
....... imagine the footage/voicetrack from the windshield cam focused on the rider's face when the guy on a Vrod passes the CVO rider who skipped pissin' @ the last gas stop to get a headstart on everybody.
I think I read where the VROD will be excluded.....only air cooled HDs. Can you imangine how many fuel stops would be required for a VROD.

Quick Reply: Ride of a life time