Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Installing Auto Gem Shotgun Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 07:41 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Help Installing Auto Gem Shotgun Lights

I have a Harley run/brake/turn signal module on my bike. I have some Auto Gem LED Shotgun lights that I'm installing in the holes where the grab bar was. My question is if I just want these lights to be running lights only can I just attach them to the wires that runs my tag light. I'm afraid the HD module will screw up the Shotgun lights since they're not dual filament and don't want to attach them to the turn signal wires. The plug and play harness I bought with the Auto Gems says to plug it in to the connector in the upper left corner on the taillight board but that's where the tag light plug is. What's confusing me is that both wires on the tag light plug are black. Doesn't one have to be hot and the other ground? I also thought I might be able to attach them to the blue/white running light wire on the tail light harness itself. If anyone knows please let me know.

Old 11-21-2008, 07:52 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have done a few of them, never used there harness, just made the wires longer and ran them down each side of bike under the chrome rail covers and tied them in at the extra wire for the tour pak on the left side of the bike, blue wire. Doc

Old 11-21-2008, 08:04 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HDDOC
I have done a few of them, never used there harness, just made the wires longer and ran them down each side of bike under the chrome rail covers and tied them in at the extra wire for the tour pak on the left side of the bike, blue wire. Doc
I was just going to use their harness for ease of installation. It would be the same as making the wires longer as both lights terminate using just the one plug at the end. I was going to cut the plug off their harness anyway. I have a shop manual for my bike and have looked at the electrical diagram. I'll see if I can find the blue wire you're talking about. But if I can't find that particular wire would I be able just to hook them to the tag light wire? Even though they're both black is one hot and the other ground?

Old 11-21-2008, 09:06 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The spare stock harness for the SG is easy to find its in a jacket and has a white plug at the end, it is found on the left side of the bike and up near the seat running even with the chrome rail covers. And yes you can tie it into the tag light, use a test light to find the right wire. Doc