Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This *#%$^ brace was a waste of money!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:00 PM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These braces kinda sound like Restless Leg Syndrome. I never heard of it until they came out with a cure for it!!! Not saying it doesn't exist, however.

Ben

Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one on order.

I also ride a BMW R1200GS, and a Goldwing. I always thought my 2002 RoadKing wobbled all over the place. My 07 Road Glide is better, but the issue us still there. Particularly compared to the Beemer and the Wing.

Part of the issue imay be what other bikes you ride. Still, if the handling seems fine on your bike, why worry.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Made a couple runs down to Daytona last month and pining her ears back over Mt Eagle was a blast with the TWR brace.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

As if harley davidson wouldn't have put these braces on their bikes if they were so great. Like its some secret. The guys at harley are probably reading this post and they are wondering why they never thought of this. Some guy in his garage knows more than experts/engineers that build these bikes for living. Next time save your money and ride your motorcycle. Its fine

Old 11-21-2008, 10:20 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can install all the "braces" you want..........It's the shocks. Put on a quality set of shocks and feel the difference, especially in the curves!

If HD thought this was a problem I can assure you they would brace the *** end of the engine to the frame.

And yes, I fell prey to the "better handling" stabilizer thing. Took it off after a few hundred miles, caused a bad engine vibration, and the bike pulled to the left under hard stops. I DID NOT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL WITH THE STABLIZER ON except a lighter wallet!

Put on a set of progressive shocks and NOW I NOTICE A MAJOR HANDLING DIFFERENCE, like it is on rails!!! No vibration and it stops straight with no pull!!

Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveO
You can install all the "braces" you want..........It's the shocks. Put on a quality set of shocks and feel the difference, especially in the curves!

If HD thought this was a problem I can assure you they would brace the *** end of the engine to the frame.

And yes, I fell prey to the "better handling" stabilizer thing. Took it off after a few hundred miles, caused a bad engine vibration, and the bike pulled to the left under hard stops. I DID NOT NOTICE ANY DIFFERENCE AT ALL WITH THE STABLIZER ON except a lighter wallet!

Put on a set of progressive shocks and NOW I NOTICE A MAJOR HANDLING DIFFERENCE, like it is on rails!!! No vibration and it stops straight with no pull!!
Which one?

Old 11-22-2008, 09:03 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Originally Posted by beary
Easy, not that many folks ride hard enough to feel a problem. And yes, there was someone a few months ago that said his new brace didn't fix his problem. He described his problem as wobbling in crosswinds and rain grooves. That is not the same wobble as the braces are designed to fix.

I just don't think that many folks feel a problem, I certainly don't and I ride plenty sporty for me. I"M SURE THERE IS A PROBLEM Teachu2, but just not enough for most riders feel and jump on the brace band wagon. I'm not throwing my money at something that I don't feel is broke. But I'm glad there is plethora of braces out there to choose from if and when I have the problem. Until then, I'm putting my money on a new rear tire.

Hey, have a great riding weekend.

Beary
Got to agree..
Even when the rear may have "usable tread" when it starts to get real close to the wear bars it's really time for a change...new rubber and the beast tracks like a bloodhound

Old 11-22-2008, 04:51 PM
ragingbull
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that the new HD frame design was done in part to address this....

Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 PM
hdflyer76
Intermediate

All I know is that my 08 ultra was much better with the stablizer.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:53 AM
Trek
Tourer

Well, I put one on my 08. A friend had an identical 08 without the brace, mine with. We switched bikes for a while. Neither one of us noticed a difference. Frankly, if there is an improvement, for me, it was slight. Biggest difference I noticed is that the model I chose will drag on occasion over speed bumps. And it is more difficult to set the bike on the jack.

Probably what I will need to do is load it up as I would on a trip, ride for a few hundred miles and then take it off on the return. Maybe then i could see the difference.

Quick Reply: This *#%$^ brace was a waste of money!