Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Securing GPS to Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:07 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Securing GPS to Mount

I know it's going to be difficult securing a Garmin Street Pilot with the ball mount to the bikes mounting bracket but has anyone done it and if so, how did you do it.....And is it still removable to use in other vehicles..........

Old 11-20-2008, 07:42 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it can. I made one last year and posted the pictures here. It consisted of a aluminum split collar I bought from McMastercarr. It clamped right on the handlebar by the left grip. To I welded a U shaped of 3/8 aluminum rod. The exposed end was tapped 1/4-20, to which I cut off the ball from the suction mount... odd size ball... and tapped it also. added a set screw and polished the whole thing. I got about $15 in it. I'm not good a giving links so do a search in my published stuff and it's there.https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ighlight=mount

Last edited by dgriffith; 11-20-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:28 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
I know it's going to be difficult securing a Garmin Street Pilot with the ball mount to the bikes mounting bracket but has anyone done it and if so, how did you do it.....And is it still removable to use in other vehicles..........
I have a Ram Mount and it works fine. I leave the ball mounted to the handle bars down by the fairing and you hardly notice it. I have a Ram suction cup with a ball on the end on the car and just move the GPS where I need it.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:50 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Go to www.powerlet.com They have lots of choices and I'm sure you will find something you're like that looks good. I purchased a mount for the handlebars that has a taped hole for the ball mount and a plug to plug in the GPS. It's small and looks good when not in use. I take ball off when not using the GPS. Sorry no pics.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Tailgunner01
Stage II

The ball mount is available at your Harley dealer. the GPS mount is available from Garmin.
or at the GPS Store on line. cut and paste the following url into your brouser.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-Mo...-P224C137.aspx

Last edited by Tailgunner01; 11-20-2008 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:02 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I guess I should have been more clear. I have a RAM mount set-up for the GPS unit but I know the friction mount ball will not stay in the GPS unit due to vibrations & bumps. I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the unit to the ball mount.

Here's a picture of what I have, it's the bottom unit...

http://www.e-mount.com/page_results.php?uid=764

Old 11-20-2008, 09:04 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dgriffith
Yes it can. I made one last year and posted the pictures here. It consisted of a aluminum split collar I bought from McMastercarr. It clamped right on the handlebar by the left grip. To I welded a U shaped of 3/8 aluminum rod. The exposed end was tapped 1/4-20, to which I cut off the ball from the suction mount... odd size ball... and tapped it also. added a set screw and polished the whole thing. I got about $15 in it. I'm not good a giving links so do a search in my published stuff and it's there.https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ighlight=mount

Pictures were on the old site and not readable here.....

Old 11-20-2008, 09:11 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

I use a techmount,works great.easy on and easy off with the right tool as once mounted it is secure

Old 11-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
I guess I should have been more clear. I have a RAM mount set-up for the GPS unit but I know the friction mount ball will not stay in the GPS unit due to vibrations & bumps. I'm looking for ideas on how to secure the unit to the ball mount.

Here's a picture of what I have, it's the bottom unit...

http://www.e-mount.com/page_results.php?uid=764
Thats what I use and it never has loosened at all. I rode to the 105th and back with no problem. Not sure why you think it won't work?

Old 11-21-2008, 07:19 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

I'm talking about where the ball mount mounts inside the GPS unit....It does not feel that secure and if I shake the unit with the mount attached, it does flip off after a few shakes....Not really comfortable with the design.

Quick Reply: Securing GPS to Mount