Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger wobble-what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008 | 12:32 AM
Pacemaker
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jrwireman
Try doing 80mph on a long down hill grade sweeping turn and you should experience some wobble. I definitely experienced it! Will be buying a stabilizer soon.
Did that and some, down mountains curves rated at 30 mph taken at 60 mph. A BMW rider behine me could beleive a Road King could take turns like my bike did, and it's only a stock Road king.

Old 11-20-2008 | 11:03 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BCguy
OK, so do ALL touring bikes have this problem? I ride my RG pretty hard and I've never felt this 'wobble' that everyone talks about? Am I lucky or just not observant?
Yes - those are the two options. I can believe it possible to get lucky and get a bike that is tighter than average. The Road King is also the lightest weight tourer, and if you are not heavy yourself, that probably contributes to improving the ride.

From my observations, it doesn't appear to be limited to high mileage bikes. Both my '06 RK and '07 RG exhibited wobble from early on. I believed it was just characteristic of heavy touring bikes, but wasn't really happy about it. Then the '09s arrived and people started raving about the improved handling. At that point, I realized that (1) there was a better way and (2) MAYBE I could "fix" my '07 rather than buying a '09. $289 for a Bagger Brace vs $4-5k or more to trade up made it worth giving it a shot.

I suspect that under the right conditions (weight, speed, corner, road surface condition) ALL the pre-'09 touring will exhibit wobble. I also suspect that ANY rider would notice a change in their bike with any of the commonly available braces. I could feel the difference exiting my driveway onto a residential street.

If you are happy with your ride (I wasn't), don't fix it (I did).

Old 11-20-2008 | 11:21 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I suspect that under the right conditions (weight, speed, corner, road surface condition) ALL the pre-'09 touring will exhibit wobble. I also suspect that ANY rider would notice a change in their bike with any of the commonly available braces. I could feel the difference exiting my driveway onto a residential street.

If you are happy with your ride (I wasn't), don't fix it (I did).
I agree 100%. I didn't have any particular problem but was astonished how much tighter and stable it felt after I installed the Bagger Brace.

Rick

Old 11-20-2008 | 11:33 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

As soon as I bought my Heritage, before I ever knew anything about wobble, I could feel the difference between the bikes especially on the freeway. On my RK it's only slightly noticible but I understand as the bike ages the problem becomes more noticible. It's nothing severe. I'm not going to fall off the bike. I did install the Biker Brace early November but have not been able to ride the bike so I can't say yet. The first ride I take with the RK this spring will be on the freeway testing it out. I've read nothing but rave reviews about the Biker Brace so I expect a big difference.

Last edited by barjbar; 11-20-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-20-2008 | 11:43 AM
PITA
Cruiser

Cycle World just did an exhaustive test on a '08 RKC and called it the best handler of the 8 baggers they tested. They did mention some chassis flex but nothing alarming, certainly no "wobble" that can affect one's control or the safe operation of the bike.

I don't think many of us can outride CW guys - they confirmed that they rode the wheels off all bikes - so that's pretty good proof. Plus, I have yet to feel anything to be alarmed at, other than the constant threads on here...

Old 11-20-2008 | 11:59 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

+1 to Teachu2
The wobble usually comes one of two ways: as a shaking (L to R) of the handlebars (headshake) or the bike feels hinged right under the seat. I've experienced both but on two different bikes.
Also I have found rear shock preload to affect the wobble directly. Stiffening the spring preload or air pressure will reduce the wobble. Found this out on my '99 Dyna Sport when it wobbled itself into the oncoming lane of traffic and all the way out to the shoulder. Scary - the seat still had the pucker marks when I sold the bike. Stiffened the shock spring and then it handled like a dream, albeit a little stiff on the ride.
Not every bike exhibits the wobble. For example my stock '95 Eglide is rock steady but my '06 Streeter wobbled until the Baggerbrace was installed. If you don't feel it you don't really need to fix it - it's not going to jump out at you one day and spit you off your bike, just be aware of it. Lots of riders out there that get along just fine without a stabilizer.

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:15 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PITA
Cycle World just did an exhaustive test on a '08 RKC and called it the best handler of the 8 baggers they tested. They did mention some chassis flex but nothing alarming, certainly no "wobble" that can affect one's control or the safe operation of the bike.

I don't think many of us can outride CW guys - they confirmed that they rode the wheels off all bikes - so that's pretty good proof. Plus, I have yet to feel anything to be alarmed at, other than the constant threads on here...
Exhaustive test my a$$ - they tested ONE bike, and the one they tested isn't the one that matters to me. That one is in my garage. The one they tested wasn't loaded like mine, and probably wasn't tested on the same kinds of road conditions where I have experienced wobble. They also didn't test one with a brace. For a magazine to say ANYTHING about "flexing" is pretty unusual. They try to only say good things, to keep advertisers happy.

If your bike doesn't wobble under your riding conditions, good for you. My father-in-law's '07 DID, until we installed a Bagger Brace. My Road Glide, same thing. My neighbor never experienced wobble on his UC, until last weekend. He'll be buying a brace soon.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it - but don't try to imply that because yours is fine that everybody else's is, too. If only 1 out of 1000 exhibits wobble, that one needs a brace. From what I've seen here, it's more than 1 in a 1000.

How many car magazines rated the Ford Explorer a best buy - and how many people were injured or killed? Do you think it mattered to them that the magazine didn't have a tire failure resulting in a rollover - or that only a small percentage of Explorers rolled?

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:29 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Burn!!

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:33 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member

The term "wobble" may be misleading to some. In my case before buying the True-Track I would describe it more as a sliding sensation or drifting of the back end.

Especially on sweepers and more so on uneven pavement and underload such as with a passenger.

Primo

Old 11-20-2008 | 01:34 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member

I will tell you guys this. I never felt the wobble riding around the South, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, North Carolina, but once I moved to Pennsylvania and took my bike on the crappy *** turn pike here I experienced the dreaded bagger wobble. I noticed in long sweepers at 70MPH. All it takes is a rough patch of pavement and the thing wobbles. I never noticed it before bringing the bike to Pa.

Quick Reply: Bagger wobble-what's the deal?