Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bagger wobble-what's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009 | 07:16 PM
duffey11
Advanced

I had an issue similar to what most of you are talking about on my 04 ultra. Put the bike on the jack and found that the wheel alignment was off. Took about 1hr to get it right. Just turning the centrex won't align the rear wheel. Had a new tire installed and got the wobble again. Realigned the wheels wobble is gone again. Bought a new 08 ultra and it had the wobble. Put it on the jack, aligned the wheels, no more wobble. The tires have to track true or you can experience a wobble when hitting minor imperfections in the road or loading and unloading the suspension in turns, especially at high speeds. The brace will stiffen the moving parts and cover up the real problem, not to mention the additional vibrations that everyone that has installed the brace is experiencing. One guy stated he got the wobble going from one state to another, I bet there is more to that than we will ever know. Was there anything done to the bike where the tracking was changed or improperly aligned during a tire change.

Old 01-27-2009 | 07:49 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

The horse we are beating has been dead for a long time!

If you have a handling problem, fix it as you see fit. I've yet to hear of any brace causing more problems than it fixed.

If you don't have a handling problem, keep your money in your pocket.

I have not experienced the wobble and am not planning to buy a brace until I do experience a problem.

Last note: If you haven't experienced a handling problem, that does not mean that others have not. If you have experienced a handling problem, that does not entitle you to declare that the others don't know how to ride.

Andy

Old 01-27-2009 | 08:02 PM
jokerx
Banned

Originally Posted by Andy Engemann
The horse we are beating has been dead for a long time!

If you have a handling problem, fix it as you see fit. I've yet to hear of any brace causing more problems than it fixed.

If you don't have a handling problem, keep your money in your pocket.

I have not experienced the wobble and am not planning to buy a brace until I do experience a problem.

Last note: If you haven't experienced a handling problem, that does not mean that others have not. If you have experienced a handling problem, that does not entitle you to declare that the others don't know how to ride.

Andy
Not beating a dead horse, guy had a question about it.

Old 01-27-2009 | 08:20 PM
rkride
Cruiser

I tend to agree with jokerx that the term wobble is misleading. I liken it to the feeling of low tire pressure (when you know the pressure is good) and the rear just dosen't feel as if it wants to behave as it should.

Old 01-27-2009 | 08:39 PM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
From: Southern California High Desert, here and there....

Wobble is a bad term for the problem. Also, I believe the problem is not equivalent to what is generally referred to as head shake, they are different steering aberrations. I am thoroughly familiar with head shake/tank slappers by virtue of years of road racing track experience. The touring frame "wobble" or wallow as I think it is better termed, is different than steering head/front steering geometry induced head shake. I think TeachU is right on the money with his explanations. I also think it would also be nuts to claim that the problem is uncommon. Anyway, for whatever it's worth (or not ), I found this thread from a while back, I posted it right after installing a rear stabilizing link on my 2000 EG.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...low-cured.html

Old 01-27-2009 | 09:13 PM
burnafatty
Tourer

wow now I will feel wobble starting up my S G

Old 01-27-2009 | 10:08 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member

For all of you that don't know it,the biggest reason Harley changed the frame on the touring bikes for 2009 was to get rid of the wobble, its only happens to me above 80mph in sweepers or changing lanes on uneven ground,when I called Harley with the problem they told me to slow down because there bikes were not designed to be riden that fast!!!

Old 01-28-2009 | 05:44 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Save your money, the only place I ever heard of the mysterious wobble is on the forum. Besides, if there was a real concern the moco would of been forced to address it long ago.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 01-28-2009 at 05:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2009 | 07:59 PM
HarleyHog59
Novice

Originally Posted by jokerx
Not beating a dead horse, guy had a question about it.
I agree jokerx, some people may have read all these posts and some may be tired of seeing them and apparently are annoyed in seeing another one, well stop reading them there are many other threads on here to read.

I have an '08 RKC and I felt a wobble while making a sweeping right turn at about 50 to 60 mph and wobble doesn't sound very strange to me, how about a wiggle or a rear shake or just a loose feeling in the rear. No matter what you call it, it is there, apparently on many bikes.

That horse seems to still a lot of life in it.

Old 03-03-2009 | 08:12 PM
Blownglide
Cruiser

I usually experience the wobble and floating when I hit 130+mph

Quick Reply: Bagger wobble-what's the deal?