Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:25 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!

I just picked up a 2009 Road King standard a few months ago after flip flopping between a fatboy and the RK. I have completed the stage one mods to the RK and been at the HD dealer way too much. During these visits I keep checking out the street glide. I keep pondering the question if I had to do it over again, should I have bought the street glide?I know after being on this forum that it's not uncommon to trade up within the same year to a different bike. My question to the masses is would I be crazy to even consider doing this? And if I do pull the trigger on doing this, what can I expect for trade in vs selling my Road King with only 1500 miles on it and paid just over 20K otd 2 months ago??

I have to add:
I love the road king and it's everything that I expected and then some, but I find myself riding all of the time with the windshield on which I never expected. I also have looked at the dead center fairings and the costs to complete this upgrade and don't want to go this route.

any advice would be helpful to make this crazy decision or squash it.
Thanks!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
melie
Cruiser

I just traded an 08 Roadking for an 09 Streetglide for the same reasons.
I even bought a Kenny Day fairing for the RK. My RK was paid for and it cost me another 5K to trade up. Was it worth the 5 grand? YES!
Just my 2 cents.

ride safe
Mark

Old 11-19-2008, 08:43 PM
Slacker8
Tourer

After being tortured on a trip riding the 08 Street Bob I was convinced to get a S/G. I knew going in the door I would take a beating on the trade but said the hail with it and bought the bike I should have the first time around. I can tell you (no offense to Dyna owners) but it was like going from a Chevette to a Cadillac. There is no comparison in the rides - Glide is way out in front. Another reason we decided to trade was because we needed saddle bags and a windshield. From the ones I had picked out that would have totaled close to a $1000. I then convinced the OL we should just put that $1000 towards a down payment and get the bike we had been drooooooolllllliiiiinnnnggggg over for 4 months. Go ahead and pull the trigger you will not regret it - I guarantee it!

Old 11-19-2008, 08:49 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Road King and I love it, but really don't like it with the windshield on. I think the Street Glide is a kick a$$ bike. I'm trying to figure out how I can have both. If I do end up with both, the RK will never have a windshield and will be a "fair weather" bike, the SG will be my real "touring" bike.

My wife has no idea that I'm contemplating this.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:56 PM
swirvin1234
Advanced

I haven't considered the wife factor but I am in sales and think I can sell her if needed! Any guess on resale or trade in for such a new bike? I am thinking at least 18K which would leave apprx 3-4K difference. If I could swing a deal at the local dealership for under 3K I would do it, but I think that my guess on the numbers are really optomistic. This weekend I might have to talk to the dealer to see how close I am.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the same thought over the last few weeks. I had a little heart to heart with the sales manager at my local dealer and both decided that it would be a little more painful than I want to endure right now. She's pretty straight up with me and said that the numbers would be a little easier to take in a couple of years. Good thing I love the RK.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:13 PM
Slacker8
Tourer

Originally Posted by swirvin1234
I haven't considered the wife factor but I am in sales and think I can sell her if needed! Any guess on resale or trade in for such a new bike? I am thinking at least 18K which would leave apprx 3-4K difference. If I could swing a deal at the local dealership for under 3K I would do it, but I think that my guess on the numbers are really optomistic. This weekend I might have to talk to the dealer to see how close I am.
We actually caught a break at the dealer. They were running a $1000 gift card special with ANY bike purchased. Being such good customers he gave us the $1000 plus $200 more to go with it. That coupled with our $1400 down cut the wound to only a $2400 rollover. As I mentioned we knew we would take a hit but decided it would be the best bike for us and our riding needs and plans. So realisticaly you're prolly looking at $4000 in rollover. Hope you have some money to come out of the pocket with - the S/G is a sweet **** bike. Good luck and I hope it pans out for you.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:15 PM
cccsclark
Advanced
Default same here

i purchashed a 98 rocker in july and wanted to swap for 09 streetglide but they were only giving me 16k for my bike and wanted 20% down for glide they wouldnt budge a bit so i decided mabey i will look for a used one and keep rocker hope im not stepping in too deep

Old 11-19-2008, 09:16 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forgot to say that that amount $4000 is almost exactly what it would have cost me. At least we're seeing some consistency in the flogging we get.

Last edited by Skidrow; 11-19-2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 09:19 PM
Slacker8
Tourer

***PS- Be ready to put 10% down, Harley is requiring it with all deals due to the economy right now.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!