Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 10:20 AM
Roadking Cal
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it's a RK standard that you have now, could you gat an aftermarket fairing from the J and P catalog? They have many different makes, a lot of which are quick-detach types, some even include the stereo. Seems to me you could then have the best of both....

Last edited by Roadking Cal; 11-20-2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Didn't read the ENTIRE first sentance of the lead post....
Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bery has a good point. Enjoy the RK for a while. You may change your mind about it. Showrooms always make you want something else. If after a year or two and a few thousand miles, you still want the SG, then make the change. The RK is a fine machine and the SG isn't going anywhere.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:36 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Only you can decide. You may get hit hard on a trade, so if you can market the bike and get ok money out of it, things could work well without too much of a loss. If you keep the RK, which is a great bike (remember it is not currently summer time and that windshield may come off more in warmer weather), just minimize the amount you put in as add-ons, as that will not come back to you on a sale or trade. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:42 AM
rockhard69
Road Captain

If you can deal with the trade difference than go for it. life is to short to worry about it. I had a RKC and really liked it. But for longer trips and 2up riding, I went to the Ultra. The Ultra beats the RKC IMHO hands down for comfort and storage.
The 09 SG is .8" longer, .4" lower, cruise is a opt, weight is same as a 09 RKC according to HD site.
The SG looks cool.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:48 AM
Tony P
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 217 Posts

Many of you have seen my posts about trading up... As much as I like my Dyna, I need something a bit more compliant. I hate taking a beating on a trade and pulling money from savings that I should keep in the bank, but the bike is one of two things that makes me happy (you can guess what the other is), so my next decison is crucial. Living in N Georgia, bugs aren't an issue, so pulling the windshield off an RK is cool in more ways than one. However, I think if I buy the SG, I will have a bike I will be very satsified with for years to come.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the RK is an awesome bike, but if the SG rattles your cage, then go for it. You're the one who needs to be happy with what you ride. I kept looking at the EGS even though I really wanted the Ultra. In the end, I got what I really wanted. I was fortunate that my wife went with me that day, and said that's the seat I want, so you have to get the Ultra! works for me.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:20 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Tony P
Many of you have seen my posts about trading up... As much as I like my Dyna, I need something a bit more compliant. I hate taking a beating on a trade and pulling money from savings that I should keep in the bank, but the bike is one of two things that makes me happy (you can guess what the other is), so my next decison is crucial. Living in N Georgia, bugs aren't an issue, so pulling the windshield off an RK is cool in more ways than one. However, I think if I buy the SG, I will have a bike I will be very satsified with for years to come.
You should go talk with Ed C. at Killer Creek - I only have good things to say about them in terms of wokring a fair deal.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:55 PM
jimmything
Stellar HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I think you'd lose pretty much, especially with the goodies you've put on. I'd keep it a year or so. You'd have two things going for you then. The economy will probably be in the sh!tter(and the dealer might give you a decent trade in then) or you might change your mind and keep the RK!

Old 11-20-2008, 02:01 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think you should get some more time in on the Road King. It really is an amazing bike. Can make it a cruiser or tourer in no time.
If you want a fairing I hear good things about the quadzilla. A guy I know has a friend who has one and I guess it is just as nice as the fairing on the street glide.
I was debating between Road Kings and Street Glides or Electa Glide Standards and I don't regret my decision for a second.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:17 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem solved. Keep your Road King, and put a detachable fairing on it like all the rest of us have. There's a ton of them out there, and if you really love the SG look, just pull the passing lamps off! Or pull the fairing off and ride w/o anything. All kinds of options... You've got the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!