Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Yeah you are crazy,------------ but it's a GOOD kinda crazy. Go for it, you'll not be sorry.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
IRready
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To answer your question... yes. Now go buy what you want.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:46 PM
krusr
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had my RK for 9 years now and while I won't say there aren't better I will say mine has served me well and I have few complaints.

Krusr

Old 11-20-2008, 07:48 AM
bartb1200
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 04 road king to a 09 S/G and love it

Old 11-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

People gave me all kinds of crap for trading my decked out '07 Fat Boy in on an '08 Street Glide. But I am really glad I did.

I had all the detachable stuff on the Fat Boy (bags & windshield), but the only time I took them off was to take a picture of it..........and I drooled all over the Street Glides every time I saw one. I really liked that Fat Boy but it was either drive a Corvette (Fat Boy) or drive an Escalade (Street Glide).

Old 11-20-2008, 08:22 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

save yourself from another trade next year and get the RG now.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:07 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it is common to 2nd guess a choice in Harleys, especially after the first purchase, only because they have so many models that are desirable. I have an 06 SG and find myself sitting on the new E-Glides every time I go to my dealer. But I know also that if I own an EG I wound be looking at the Ultras. Under the skin they're the same motorcycle.

The RK is different because it has the classic look, almost like the EG's of the 60's and early 70's. The SG in comparison is very much like the other Glides except that has a lower profile - including a shorty windshield as standard. Being lower is the most distinctive feature of the SG at first glance, its low center of gravity also makes it easier to ride in the city. It's "less is better" approach to trim is also something that seperates it from the other Glides.

Regarding trading in your RK and taking the loss on your RK and the changes you've started is a tough call. I started a thead titled "Dress up or Trade up" and the verdict was you'll lose a lot of $$$ on the trade so if your happy with what you have, then dress it up. However, if after only 1500 miles you're already wanting the SG, I go for it. It is a great bike for both in town and touring. You don't what to be looking at every SG that goes by wishing had one of those instead.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crazy?
-$4000 for 1500 miles = $2.60/mile, not including gas and maintenance!
Yikes!
You could probably convert your current bike with a custom paint job for $6000.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Ignoring the money issue, I say keep the RK for a while. The RK is a great bike. It's not as if you are wanting to go from a Dyna or Softtail to a Touring bike. I can understand the logic there. But you have a great bike that does everything the SG does just as well if not better. You will get more looks on the RK than the SG because it is a very cool bike.

Saying that, I presently looking to trade my RKC for a SG soon. But, I experienced the RKC and love it. I put on 8000 miles on that bike in roughly six months and I love that experience so much I want to try another Harley experience. When I bought the RKC a year ago, I planned on keeping that bike for at least five years. Now because I've enjoyed that bike so much, I see myself getting a different model ever year or two just broaden my enjoyment of these bikes.

That is why I say keep your RK a year or so. Experience it enough to say you have been there and done that. One thing is for sure, there are going to be plenty of SGs a year from now when you are ready. Experience the Rk for awhile.

Beary

Old 11-20-2008, 10:18 AM
Drew_72
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going from an '08 Sporty to an '09 RKC... I can't wait. I love the classic look, and am excited about the added functionality I will get with the RK. I don't currently do a lot of touring, but certainly plan on doing much longer rides on the new steed.

On looks alone, if I were to get a bike with a fairing, it would be the Road Glide... though I like the looks of the Street Glide as well. I hope I don't "outgrow" my RK too quickly, as I think it is the best looking bike Harley makes.

ride safe
Drew

Quick Reply: Thinking of a new SG... Am I crazy!