Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Motor Mount

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:01 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Front Motor Mount

I was wondering if any of you guys have replaced the front motor mount? I have heard that they can go bad in as little as 2000 miles...I have 9600 miles on my bike is it something I should check out? Just wanting to know your thoughts on it .. or if anyone has experienced this... thanks

Old 11-19-2008, 08:09 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by youngrider
I was wondering if any of you guys have replaced the front motor mount? I have heard that they can go bad in as little as 2000 miles...I have 9600 miles on my bike is it something I should check out? Just wanting to know your thoughts on it .. or if anyone has experienced this... thanks
Noticed and new vibrations?
If not, then I wouldn't sweat it.
If it breaks, you'll know it.

Not only that, HD upgraded the mount...you didn't state what year bike you have so I can't tell you which mount you have.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:37 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't seen too many go bad under 2k. War stories. They have re-designed the mount and extended longevity. Most go in 20-30k on normal riding.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM
OldDog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with Gutman. Only thing that I can add is to keep oil off of it when you pull the filter. A good soaking will shorten the life. Drag sells a handy gizmo tray that will catch the oil; or a piece of cardboard works just fine.

Old 11-21-2008, 11:53 PM
youngrider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my bike is an 08...I know what you mean about the oil and thats why I wont take it to the dealer for an oil change anymore...I added a fbi spoiler and I noticed my garage floor had oil on it from my bike...so I look around and noticed that when they change the oil they let the oil from the filter just run down the front of the motor ...so my whole spoiler was full of oil...nice huh...So I have heard guys use tinfoil under the filter to prevent this ?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:57 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I soak mine at every oil change. I changed the original at 30-40k miles figuring it was shot. It actually still looked good. If oil were so bad on rubber, you reckon they would make oil lines out of it? I would think not. My Ironhead still has the original oil lines on it. They are still in great shape.

Old 11-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by youngrider
my bike is an 08...I know what you mean about the oil and thats why I wont take it to the dealer for an oil change anymore...I added a fbi spoiler and I noticed my garage floor had oil on it from my bike...so I look around and noticed that when they change the oil they let the oil from the filter just run down the front of the motor ...so my whole spoiler was full of oil...nice huh...So I have heard guys use tinfoil under the filter to prevent this ?
Totally different animal than the ones being complained about....