Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solo tourpac rack question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solo tourpac rack question

I have an 09 FLHR that I put the two up tourpac rack on. Problem is I mostly ride solo and that leaves a big gap between the rider back rest and the T. pack. So I was looking at the solo, but was told I would have to lose my rider back rest. I have a corbin seat and love the set up - feel like I can ride in it all day and have. Is there a way to use the solo rack but move it back a bit so I can keep my rider back rest??

Old 11-19-2008, 10:45 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have a Mustang seat and modified my solo rack so the rider's backrest would clear the TP. This was done by moving the TP back 1¼" on the solo rack. Go here for a write-up on this mod, and let me know if you have any questions.

As a disclaimer, I can't say for sure the 1¼" spec will work for your Corbin seat, so you may need to do some calculations and measurements to make sure. Also, the '09 rack is different from my '07, which is yet another variable in the equation. I think you're going to have to read my write-up, then do your own design changes to make it work for your '09.

Last edited by iclick; 11-19-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

You should also check Corbin's website for fitment issues with their solo seats. The '08 and older Corbin Classic solos included a fitment disclaimer that the seat did not work with the HD solo detachable rack, and this was confirmed by some HDF'ers with the issue: the rack hits the back of the seat.

Don't know if this remains the case with the '09 seat/solo rack. But it's worth checking.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:06 PM
rde
Road Captain

I have a Corbin Classic Solo and backrest on my bike and there is no way I would get rid of it! I actually rode my bike to Ormond Beach to see what configuration would work with my Tour Pak. Admittedly my 08 might be different than your 09, but I couldn't get much to work with a solo seat with backrest. So I ride with a 2 up detachable Tour Pak. I actually like the look of the fender behind my seat. I added the chrome V-rail to the Classic Solo and I think it looks great.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:30 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd check the George Anderson Tour Pak Relocation kit. It'll move your tour pak back 2 1/2" and I'll bet that will give you enough room. I put this kit on my detachable unit to move the TP back for the wife. It'll do the same for the solo. Just do a search for George Anderson, or Tour Pak relocation kits. Apologies for not having his info, he doesn't have a web site, just works at home. Great product, and even nicer guy. You won't be disappointed.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:35 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's a link to some pix of it for you...

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...eorge+Anderson

Old 11-19-2008, 03:37 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

Here's his address and phone. I knew I had it somewhere. Just call him, and he'll drop one in the mail to you right away. Great guy. Many folks here on the forum have used and highly recommend his product. Hope this solves your problem. When you call he'll give you the street address....

George Anderson
Moline, IL
Home: 309-762-6291
Cell: 309-236-0952

Old 11-19-2008, 08:19 PM
bikerbehaviorist
Road Master

Thanks all!! iclick that looks great!!
First however I will look into the fitment issues thanks pingman!
I remember a lot of buzz about George Anderson's kit so maybe I should check that out too...wonder if it fits the new style racks??

Old 11-19-2008, 08:50 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I set up my solo to be my backrest. My suggestion before you modify anything try out the solo as your backrest, if you don't like it, you can then mod it. JMHO. Check out my sig, I have it set up so that I can lean a little forward and the backrest is off my back, but when cruising I can lean back and use it as a backrest. I love it for the long hauls!