Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 09:30 AM
Chas63
|
Tourer
Default Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???

I'm still kicking around the idea of which Harley to get and what features I want on it. A used bike is certainly a possibility.

Of the various models, I think I like the Electra Glide Classic the best. But, I've seen some Road Kings that I like too.

That brings up my question. If I bought a Road King and then decided that I wanted a fairing and/or a tour box, approximately what would it cost to add them?

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:14 AM
robzuc97
Road Master

I would check with the dealers to verify compatability of a fairing with the RK before buying. Not a RK which is more silimilar to the EG in design, but my FLSTC will not support a fairing (let alone a tool bag) on the front end and their is a warning in the manual about adding a fairing.

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:21 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

If you are already thinking about a fairing and a tour pak on the back, then the Road King is going to get more expensive with the aftermarket parts. You'll need a color matched tour pak, that and all the install will run about 12-1500 bucks. A fairing with no radio, or speakers etc, around $500. I would say to have the basics you're looking at another 2500-3500 to add what you want. Just get a Classic, RG (add tour pak) or the way I went, Ultra. That's my $.02

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:30 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master

I bought the eg classic, and IMO there are too many problems with faring brackets, and the latch set up, on the tour pack is no good, their made in china (the latches).all of the above has broken on mine

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:30 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man

In my opinion it would be well worth the extra cake to be able to pull all that crap off of there when I'm not using it. That $3500 buys you a whole 2nd bike.

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:38 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Talking

Originally Posted by ken thompson
In my opinion it would be well worth the extra cake to be able to pull all that crap off of there when I'm not using it. That $3500 buys you a whole 2nd bike.
Hmm, Let me see if I can figure out why.......?

Old 11-18-2008 | 10:42 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by HDSAE60
I bought the eg classic, and IMO there are too many problems with faring brackets, and the latch set up, on the tour pack is no good, their made in china (the latches).all of the above has broken on mine
Funny, I haven't had any of the problems you mention, maybe we each care for our bikes different, or the Ultra is just that much better. What do you think/

Old 11-18-2008 | 11:14 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member

OK, I've got the King with detachable fairing, and detachable tour pak. As to your question, right around $2500. I was able to find a like new Dead Center fairing, and then just had to match my flames. Tour Pak @ 20% through Mason City HD and detachable rack around $600... So you can shop the net, Craig's list, EBay, HDForum Classifieds, and find some pretty good deals. And like said earlier, you can strip it all down to nothing, and just ride around town... Although I'm finding the batwing comes off less and less the longer I own it....

Old 11-18-2008 | 11:58 AM
HDSAE60
Road Master
Default I think

Originally Posted by gunner11
Funny, I haven't had any of the problems you mention, maybe we each care for our bikes different, or the Ultra is just that much better. What do you think/
only time will tell

Old 11-18-2008 | 12:02 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I can tell you its not cheap. If you think that your doing this to increase the value of your bike, its not going to happen. A Road King is still a Road King just with more doo-dads on it. How ever if you don't want to trade your RK, and want to keep it. Its 50/50 in what it takes to build it into a heavy cruiser or just buy one out right.

If you want to go the build it on your own route, and do it on the cheap, then don't expect it to look like it came off an assembly line from MOCO when your done unless you go to the expense to paint and detail everything so it does.

Its all what ever you want to make of it. IMHO, its not that bad an expense in relationship to a new Ultra Classic. And its something to do to the bike to customize it the way you want so its not totally lost in an event parking lot with like models.

If your wanting to get a RK and think that your going to save money doing a conversion, you may find that its less expensive to just get a used EG or UC already how you want it and use the add on budget for other things like "Power" upgrades to the engine!!

Quick Reply: Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???