Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008 | 12:20 PM
Phurion
Road Warrior

To convert a RK into a full dresser will cost you a little more $$, no doubt. But with that extra expense comes the extra convenience of being able to "pull all that crap off when you don't want it on there", ergo the "2nd bike". One a full dresser, the other a 'wind in yer face' solo RK, like Ken referenced.

I use to own a 2000 RK, but decided I liked the perm mounted batwing and went with a Street Glide this time around. No regrets either. To each their own.

Old 11-18-2008 | 03:14 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member

I like the ability to strip it down or load it up in a matter of minutes. Cost for lowers Deads Center fairing, tour pak, mounts and paint for me was about $3k, shop wisely and you could do better still.

Old 11-18-2008 | 04:39 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

no tour box but I have a firebagger fairing.( http://firebagger.com/ )less than $1000.00 paint and all but I was able to paint it myself so that was 1 cost I didn't have. now the truth, most of us that have added a fairing to our RK's very rarely take them back off,once you get used to having a radio and that little bit more wind cover in cooler weather its hard to justify removing it.

Old 11-18-2008 | 05:12 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by gunner11
If you are already thinking about a fairing and a tour pak on the back, then the Road King is going to get more expensive with the aftermarket parts. You'll need a color matched tour pak, that and all the install will run about 12-1500 bucks. A fairing with no radio, or speakers etc, around $500. I would say to have the basics you're looking at another 2500-3500 to add what you want. Just get a Classic, RG (add tour pak) or the way I went, Ultra. That's my $.02
Gunner is right, if you're already wondering this then the EGC will save you money in the long run - remember a E-G Classic is just a RK with a fairing with stereo and full instruments and tourpack added - sticker price is $2k more for the EGC and you get ALOT for that $2K. If you had to add those things separately later it's ALOT more expensive. You can get the detachable tourpak mounting and then it's a breeze to have it on and off. With that mount you can use a backrest for the passenger and/or a luggage rack that mounts as well. This makes for a very versatile and comfortable bike that will allow you to gobble up hundreds of miles a day without batting an eye and in cold weather that fairing is just awesome.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:08 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

3 grand sounds about right for new parts with stereo. used would be cheaper. If you get Black you can pull it off your bike in 5 years and us it on the new one. Red or other colors probably not so easy to do.

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:15 PM
Skidrow
Road Captain

It can be a little expensive but it was worth it to me to be able to take everything off and ride around town "neked".

Old 11-18-2008 | 06:20 PM
Dcrane
Cruiser
Default Road King with factory Fairing

Under two thousand if you do it your self

Attached Thumbnails Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???-p517000311.jpg   Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???-p824008611.jpg  
Old 11-19-2008 | 09:14 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior

Dead Center Fairing-- excellent with radio about 1600; HD Tourpak with paint and hardware about 800... Value added to the bike out of this world.

Old 11-19-2008 | 01:57 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member

Fairing with stereo and paint $1,500
Tourpac with detachable bracket $500
You need to shop around.... Ebay can be your friend!

Old 11-19-2008 | 04:50 PM
gunnert
Road Captain

I went the route you are talking about doing with my 1999 Road King. Cost depends on how patient you are. I was able to buy an Ultra Tour Pak at a swap meet with luggage rack, back rest, and speakers for $100.00. No, I sware I'm not lying! It was at the annual swap meet held at the Armory in Augusta, ME every year in the Feb time frame. The detachable mount was another $150.00. Custom paint was $400. To buy new from Harley you are looking at about $1500.00 with just standard Harley paint.

I went with the Hoppe fairing, $1600 and another $400 for paint.

So, you are looking at $3500-4000 to upgrade.

An over looked factor between the Road King and the Batwing bikes is the drivability. I didn't notice the great difference between the two until I built a batwing type custom bagger. The Bagger is great for touring. But, is VERY heavy in the front end compared to the Road King (I sold the Hoppe faiinging after building the bagger). The Road King feels like a sports car compared to a Cadillac with regard to handling. I like both bikes as they are VERY different.

Solution....both...lol...I can't the Road King because I'm not going to give it away...

Attached Thumbnails Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???-desk-top-computer-022.jpg  

Last edited by gunnert; 09-16-2009 at 03:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Cost to Add Fairing and Tour Box to Road King???