Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Glide or Not to Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 09:06 PM
ppicker
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Glide or Not to Glide?

Recently had my Road King stolen, thinking to replace with a Road Glide? I've heard some negative comments re: power, fairing vibration, lack of wind protection. Any advice appreciated. I loved my Road King, but always liked the idea of listening to tunes while runnin down the hi-way.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:15 PM
kmvallee
Cruiser
Default Road King

Ahhhh, just get another Road King?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

The only "negative"complaints you'll ever hear about a Road Glide are coming from guys who DON'T own them and never did. There's a term for that and it's called JEALOUSY!

The 2009 FLTR is perhaps Harley Davidson's BEST Touring bike Ever!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why not rent one for a day and decide?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:44 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

well you can get get another road king and throw on a ugly vetter fairing from a 70's honda and look almost the same and you would at least have only 1 headlight on the front.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, just get it over with and buy a Ultra. You know you wanna be a geezer!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 PM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about a "SUPER" Glide? Just kidding! The Road Kings are beautiful bikes. I sure wouldn't mind one in my garage. I just can't get past that fairing on the SG. It is still a fine machine if that's your style. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 11-17-2008, 10:19 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

It's hard to find a RG owner that isn't fiercely loyal to it. They swear by em. I've only ridden one once. It was my brothers. I didn't particularly care for it. Just a personal thing. FWIW, he sold it and got a Road King... I'm sure you won't find any RG owners on this forum that have done that. They seem to love em to death. Not sure if it's because they are that much better bike, or they just feel obligated to justify their decision on purchasing one in the first place. If you look at the numbers of what sells, it's got to be close to 30 or 40:1 conservatively, for batwing type baggers vs Road Glides. (Don't really have a clue about the ratios, it would be nice to know, I'm just guessing here) Does that mean anything? Well, maybe it means that there are fewer folks that are whole lot smarter than all the rest of us. On the other hand.......you do the math.
RG owners, don't bother bashing me, I'm just stating the obvious. I really don't know, and I'm not professing that I do, so save your flame-outs for the rookies that are just landin' here. I really don't need em.....

Old 11-17-2008, 10:35 PM
Byron
Advanced

The RG is a great ride. It is a plus that it looks differant that all the others. Also the fixed fairing is lighter in the steering and also better in any cross wind since the wind doesnt push your steering arround.

Byron

Old 11-17-2008, 10:43 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
It's hard to find a RG owner that isn't fiercely loyal to it. They swear by em. I've only ridden one once. It was my brothers. I didn't particularly care for it. Just a personal thing. FWIW, he sold it and got a Road King... I'm sure you won't find any RG owners on this forum that have done that. They seem to love em to death. Not sure if it's because they are that much better bike, or they just feel obligated to justify their decision on purchasing one in the first place. If you look at the numbers of what sells, it's got to be close to 30 or 40:1 conservatively, for batwing type baggers vs Road Glides. (Don't really have a clue about the ratios, it would be nice to know, I'm just guessing here) Does that mean anything? Well, maybe it means that there are fewer folks that are whole lot smarter than all the rest of us. On the other hand.......you do the math.
RG owners, don't bother bashing me, I'm just stating the obvious. I really don't know, and I'm not professing that I do, so save your flame-outs for the rookies that are just landin' here. I really don't need em.....
Funny thing - at least around here, dealers don't have Road Glides at the end of the model year. Heck, my local dealer rarely has one on the floor at all. When I bought mine, he had two in back to be prepped - both already sold. I lucked out and he already had one coming in the color I wanted (already built and loaded, in fact) and I snapped it up. My wife says it was meant to be. He ALWAYS has a good supply of batwings. I asked why, he said that's all the RGs he can get. No dealers in CA will trade him RGs for any other bike, either.

I know there have been a few (VERY few) RG owners sell and go to RKs, and even a few to UCs. Some guys decide they don't want a fairing, others get tired of standing out in a crowd.

Road Glides (like Corvettes, Scotch whiskey, and beautiful women) aren't for everybody. That's fine with me - somebody has to drive those Grand Caravans, drink that Pabst Blue Ribbon, and keep those other women happy! <GRIN>

Quick Reply: To Glide or Not to Glide?