Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passing Lights Fogging Up

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passing Lights Fogging Up

Anyone have a clue why my passing lights fog up? I am sure that it is cutting down the brightness of the beam. I have checked to make sure everything is secure and tightened. I can not figure how moisture is getting into the housing.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Harley has not learned how to make a weather proof light or guage yet. Give them another 30 years or so for that technology. We'll keep spending money with them.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 AM
wideopen1967
Tourer

Actually the "weatherproof" is part of the problem. When you open the housing up to change the bulb humidity gets inside, creating the fog, and because it is sealed the moisture has nowhere to go.

Take the lamp assembly inside, pull the bulb. let it sit near a heat source for a few hours drying the inside out. Replace the bulb, install the lamp assembly. problem solved.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:30 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by wideopen1967
Actually the "weatherproof" is part of the problem. When you open the housing up to change the bulb humidity gets inside, creating the fog, and because it is sealed the moisture has nowhere to go.

Take the lamp assembly inside, pull the bulb. let it sit near a heat source for a few hours drying the inside out. Replace the bulb, install the lamp assembly. problem solved.
+1. That's the best way to clear it out.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:11 AM
russl179
Road Warrior

Good deal...thanks!!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 07:35 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think that is the problem. Mine are fogged up a little and i never touched them and it is not moisture. Seems to be burnt on the lenses like smoke. I did read an article on how to clean them but forgot what liquid he used inside the lenses. When mine get a little worse i will look it up. Check around because this seems to happen often.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

What I did was take it apart, let it sit ine the sun get warm and dry out the lens, reassembled and put a coat of silicone around the bulb socket, no more fog, think it was coming from riding in the rain and washing the bike.

Originally Posted by wideopen1967

Old 11-18-2008, 08:19 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I agree

Originally Posted by captjon37
I don't think that is the problem. Mine are fogged up a little and i never touched them and it is not moisture. Seems to be burnt on the lenses like smoke. I did read an article on how to clean them but forgot what liquid he used inside the lenses. When mine get a little worse i will look it up. Check around because this seems to happen often.
I agree with you. I've never touched mine either and they look fogged up. Mostly at the top. If you find out what it is, let me know. It just may be moisture, I don't know.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:38 AM
IBHarley
Road Master

I read an article saying that Halogen lights give off a gas that causes the fogging but I cant find it now ,I was wondering if someone could verify it

Old 11-18-2008, 09:05 AM
rickoshay45
Road Master

I cleaned mine using plain vinegar. Stay away from anything with alcohol, it destroys the reflective coating.

Quick Reply: Passing Lights Fogging Up