Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend's 08 CVO Road King won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 10:17 AM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Friend's 08 CVO Road King won't start

We had to cut a trip short out in New Mexico because of my friend's 2008 CVO anniversary road king. He only has 5k miles on it and had all the recalls done. We were going on I-40 and he lost power. The throttle grip would not rev up and the rpms stayed low. His engine light came on and he coasted into a weigh station (thank you Lord). After repeated tries, it then would not even start. It has been at the dealer now for 2 weeks and they are going to "order more parts". Any of you had this problem? He had the fuel cell thing replaced and the seals but this was weird. You could run the throttle wide open but nothing would happen besides it just idled with low rpms. Fortunately my trusty 05 ultra got us both back to the truck to go pick it up. Any help would be appreciated if you experienced this problem. Thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It went into a Throttle Actuation Control management. There are three modes.

P1510 Limited Performance: Enables near normal operation of vehicle, guarding against inadvertent wide open throttle conditions, typically this code is the result if one of the TGS or Tp sensors, or one of each, has failed.

P1511 Power Management: Provides more limitation on driveability, due to failure of the TCA, without a TGS, MAP or airflow faults. The TCA is deenergized and the throttle plate returns to it's idle detent position. The ECM monitors the operation of the TGS and adjusts spark advance and cylinder shutoff/rev limiting, allowing the vehicle to reach traffic speed (limp-home).

P1512 Forced Idle Mode: Provides extreme limitation of driveability, due to failure of both TGS, TGS validation error, or failure or one TGS and brake switch. The TCA is de-energized and the throttle plate is forced to a faast idle position providing enough torque to operate at a high idle speed.

Pull the codes from the speedo. Ask the Dealer what codes were present. One of these three codes will be present. Should be a simple fix. had a few early 08's with bad TGS. Only early ones.
P1512

Old 11-17-2008, 11:28 AM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks a lot. I'm going to send this over to my friend and he is going to contact the dealer.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:37 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

The connector under the seat that goes into the ecu.

Have them COMPLETELY examine it. These symptoms have been caused on a bunch of bikes because that connection was never correctly made at the MOCO or at the dealer before delivery.

It happened to me.

It can either be that the connection is not latched closed or the pins can be damaged.

Have them make that simple connection a top priority.

hope this helps.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:24 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guttmans was the first thing I thought of but Toe Knee can be right to. I can tell that you did have a DTC due to engine light. My first check is always battery and connections: be suprised how many times it's something so simple as that. Don't hate the MoCo: new bikes always seem to find clitches (as long as they are correcting them)! Good Luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:28 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's a TGS?