Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ultra Setup Advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 414 Posts

When I bought my Ultra Classic, I thought I was going to add lots of stuff. Well, since 2005, the only things I've added are HD touring pipes, GPS and highway pegs. All of the other things I thought I wanted now seem superfluous.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:42 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it makes sense that the oil cooler mainly reduces oil temp when the bike is moving enough for air to flow through the cooler fins. Standing in traffic it would probably help a little since the oil is still being pumped through it, but probably not enough to be significant.

Synthetic oil holds up better at higher temps, which is what I want it for. It may also reduce some of the heat that is due to friction because it is a better lubricant. It could give better mileage though because of the reduced friction. But most of the heat in an engine is due to the combustion process and moving hot gasses out, so I think there would be little temp reduction from synthetic oil.

Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
rc9636
Cruiser

My dealer recommends going to synthetic at the 1K service if there has been no noticable oil consumption.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:18 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ArgyleRider
Right now, I am going to have the dealer install...an HD oil cooler and temp guage, so the bike is delivered in that condition and those mods are covered by warranty for sure.
Good move. The oil cooler is a necessity, IMO, and the OT gauge is much more useful than the stock air-temp gauge. You may not like the operation of the gauge using the HD solution for sender location, however, unless they have fixed the problems for '09. Ask them if they would install the sender in the oil pan rather than in the cooler lines, or do it yourself and do it right.

I need the HD air pump for the rear shocks as well, but can't find it in the accessory catalog.
If you have air shocks you need the pump, which should be standard on all FLH bikes. It isn't, so here it is:

Link to air pump

At the 1000 mile service point, I plan to switch to synthetic oil in the crankcase, primary and trans. Is that long enough for adequate break in? I have heard some discussion on whether to keep the transmission oil at the 20w-50 recommended by HD, or to go with the 70w-140 that I hear seems to work better. Opinions?
The 1k change point is fine, or change at 500 and 1k with fossil oil, then change to synthetic at 2k--with 5k intervals thereafter. You might want to consider something beyond Syn3, however, which is an average product at an above-average price. Some others to consider might be Mobil 1 (15w50 is fine), Royal Purple, Redline, and Amsoil.

How long are tires lasting on the touring bikes? I hear the OEM '09 rear tire is supposed go longer, but longer than what?
Depends on the rider. I hear anywhere from 6-12k, and I managed 10k for the first two D402s on my SG. I changed to an E3 last spring and am doing much better now, looking like at least 15k. Performance is excellent, too.

Other than the above, I think I am going to keep it stock for at least the first year and see how everything settles out.
I would wait for the PC-V to become available, then buy a Fuel Moto Power Package. You'll like it for the bang-for-the-buck effect it provides.

Last edited by iclick; 11-17-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ArgyleRider
I think it makes sense that the oil cooler mainly reduces oil temp when the bike is moving enough for air to flow through the cooler fins. Standing in traffic it would probably help a little since the oil is still being pumped through it, but probably not enough to be significant.
There is some cooling in traffic through convection, but efficiency obviously goes up as speed increases.

Synthetic oil holds up better at higher temps, which is what I want it for. It may also reduce some of the heat that is due to friction because it is a better lubricant. It could give better mileage though because of the reduced friction. But most of the heat in an engine is due to the combustion process and moving hot gasses out, so I think there would be little temp reduction from synthetic oil.
I saw a noticeable difference when I changed to synthetic after break-in, about 10° on the HD oil-temp gauge (fairing mounted).

Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
ArgyleRider
Tourer
Default Thank you

Thanks everyone. That is exactly the type of advice I was looking for. Now if I could just get the Sales Manager to call me with a ship date.