Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Only November!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only November!!

It's only November and it's already 40 degrees outside ,here in Pennsylvania. I can't stand it. I need to ride. Soooo, yesterday , I bundle up, jump on, and head down the road. About three miles and I'm crying. Damn it 's cold!!! Someone that is used to riding in the cold, please tell me how to stay warm without being so bundled that I can't move. What works, a snowmobile suit? I know, I'm a puss, can't stand the cold. Actually, I wear shorts all winter, even shovel snow in shorts. So I can stand the cold, just not the cold while riding.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 AM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thermals under jeans and a good pair of gloves. 200 miles this weekend, wet Sat, cold Sun. Best part it was wifey who needed a fix and wanted to take a ride. She wasn't even wearing thermals. Save the chaps for when it hits the 20s. Also, christmas is around the corner, tell santa you want some heated gear. Thats what I'm getting the Mrs., gets alittle cold in February.

Stay warm and ride on!

Old 11-17-2008, 07:58 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

87 degrees in Santa Cruz Calif Yesterday. You should move west

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
mja52403
Cruiser
Default Cold Weather Ride

I too needed a fix on Friday, so I popped out of work at noon and went for a ride. It was around 35-40 here in Wisconsin and the sun wasn't shining, so I knew I needed to bundle up.

Lower Half:
Two pairs of socks, plus a set of those heated boot soles (similar to hot packs)
Long undies, jeans, chaps, and my rain pants over the top

Upper half:
Tee shirt, long sleeved under armour shirt, turtle neck, hooded sweatshirt, leather jacket, and a nylon jacket over the top

Head:
Neck and face mask, head band over the ears, and helmet cap (closed face helmet would be much easier)

Hands:
Forget leather gloves unless they are heated. I go to the sporting goods store and find a nice pair of skiing gloves. They can't be too thick though, otherwise, holding onto a bike could be an problem. I also use hot packs in my gloves. With cruise control now, it's nice to let the right hand relax for a bit and play with the hot pack in your glove.

I put on about 120 miles in just over 2 hours. I was hoping to go a little further, but opted for a hot shower instead.

Heated gear, heated seat, heated grips, would make it much easier!!

Last edited by mja52403; 04-29-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Default Don't rub it in

Originally Posted by leon anthony
Don't rub it in. Actually I was thinking about moving south. My brother lives in South Carolina and he said it was quite warm this past weekend.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:05 AM
StreetGlider57
Road Master

Yeah it is hard to let go of the riding season. I live in Milwuakee and once the temps get into the thirty's and the low clouds come rolling in, it's time to lift her and cover her. I know riders that have heated jackets and gloves and hang in there until December but they're a rare bread. Remember, it's not the cold but the wind chill that will get to you.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Gerbings my man, Gerbings......the best thing I've bought for myself for riding comfort. I have the jacket, pants liner, gloves and socks....warm on a 25 degree ride. I have to older style socks and don't care for them much, get the newer style, more comfortable....but really-heated riding gear is the only way to go.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:40 AM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by leon anthony
Thanks but a little cold is better then sliding into the Pacific when the Big one hits>

Old 11-17-2008, 08:44 AM
ArgyleRider
Tourer

I'm sitting here, in So. Calif., with the front and back doors open and the window wide, in shorts and a tank top at 6:30 in the morning. It is 70 degrees right now and will hit at least the high 80's today. The desert is calling, or maybe up the coast to Morro Bay. Riding gear would be boots, jeans, tee shirt and gloves. Now if only they would deliver my bike!!!

Old 11-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

+1 what Casper said. I use a Gerbing jacket liner under a one piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter. Batwing keeps the wind blast off my hands which is nice in cold or rain.

Quick Reply: Only November!!