Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 07:31 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dumb Question........... What does XIED mean? Thanks

Old 11-23-2008, 07:41 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are various IED models. I forget what I E and D are supposed to mean, but they are voltage dividing networks which get inserted between the O2 sensors and the EFI computer, to make it seem like more fuel is needed, thus provided. Some of them drop the voltage too much even though lots of folks seem to like the results. We'll see what they're saying after some time with them in service.

Oh, it seems the engineers at Delph/H-D have found a way for the '09 bikes to thwart that method of "breaking the law".

Old 11-23-2008, 07:54 PM
Boom Daddy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

xied = extreme inline enrichment device, it is a resistor inline with the o2 sensor wires. I have them and I plan on getting a pc3, but not to start a pissing match or anything....it is after all an internal combustion engine and like all, your plugs are the window to what is happening inside...@ 5K mine look fine.

Old 11-24-2008, 03:40 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Not a pissing match, but when you say your plugs look good, is that when doing a proper plug chop, or are you pulling them when in the garage, after you've ridden the bike there? The open-loop areas, if they're too lean, (unless grossly so,) will get their evidence on the plugs covered up during the closed-loop running after the open-loop stint. Furthermore, the color of the readily-visible center electrode insulator isn't really what you're wanting to inspect. It's the presence/thickness of the soot ring down at the base of that insulator.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is that after a keys trip where I broiled my leg, I went with the 02IEDs and the results were amazing Lowered the temp a bunch and made it where I could go into 6th gear at 65 mph without feeling like I was lugging. I have 15,000 on them and it was the best $69.00 I've ever spent on any bike part. (oh yea, stock intake and mufflers)

Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

I have 13.8 XiED's on my 08 EGC and it cooled her down noticeably with no loss of mileage and better throttle responce + it takes off much better in 6th gear at lower speeds.
I have to laugh though, my dealer tried to sell me a set of Rush slip-on's before I left the showroom saying it is the "only" muffler that you dont need to do any kind of fuel management too. I did buy a set of 1.5" later on from a fellow HD forum guy and after running a dianoctics [sp] it show no lean codes but if you really open her up it will on both front and back 02 sensors. Never check codes without the Xied's before but it does make one wonder.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:53 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

go to link below. if that doesn't work do a search for "nightrider IED" and look for the thread with over 3000 posts. "glens" is not a fan but he may well be right. I am not an engineer so I don't know and I wouldn't even begin to argue with him about it. But, there are a whole lot of people that have been very happy with the IEDs, and have used them long enough to make an informed decision. Call and talk to the designer of them, Steve, he is an engineer and a heck of a nice guy.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ght=nightrider

Old 11-25-2008, 10:57 AM
harley1425
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Combustion
If you decide that Xieds are the way you want to go, then send me a PM. A friend gave me his when he sold his bike, but they will not work on mine (09 Touring). I'll let them go CHEAP! Thanks.

They will work on the 09. There is no differance between and 09 and 08 as far as the engine is concerned.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:08 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley1425
They will work on the 09. There is no differance between and 09 and 08 as far as the engine is concerned.
Not true! They will not work on '09 according to Nightrider, something changed as far as the ECM is concerned.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike5511
"glens" is not a fan but he may well be right. I am not an engineer so I don't know and I wouldn't even begin to argue with him about it... Call and talk to the designer of them, Steve, he is an engineer and a heck of a nice guy.
It's not so much that I'm not a fan of them. Some of the iterations stretch the envelope a bit too much for my tastes in any case. But for someone with an otherwise correct tune for their parts the standard IEDs would be an excellent investment (if they had no other means of tuning already).

They are a very simple voltage dividing resistor network. This is basic electrical knowledge and has to have been done for quite some time already. Heck, I considered doing it on my own last summer before ever hearing of nightrider. But I didn't want to splice into my wiring harness and the leads for the sensor are what it "breathes" through so I didn't want to mess with them either. I'd spent a couple hours trying to trace down OEM connectors with no satisfaction. Steve has done all this and I guess sells them for a reasonable price. But he certainly didn't invent anything. At any rate, I'm not an accredited engineer and when he found that out he pretty much cut all communication with me. He may have since offered me a set of something he was considering, for my evaluation, but I declined since I already have tuning aids.

The thing that fluffs my feathers about this whole thing is the way they're being heralded and used to do more than they should in a couple of ways. What it boils down to is that they are not all you need, or want, really, if you've changed the way your engine breathes compared to what the EFI is programmed for. And this includes the Fullsac, et. al. "crossover eliminator" kits, different or modified airboxes, etc. Changing things even that much necessitates a programming change in the EFI system. If you use parts for which there is a factory download and opt to go all-in like that, then supplement it with a set of standard IEDs. If you use anything else you need to get a little more custom with your EFI changes, and in any event, the recent TTS Mastertune stuff is undeniably the way to go, all by itself.

Quick Reply: XIED questions