Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will PCIII destroy ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 03:12 PM
classic cruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will PCIII destroy ECM?

My dealer told me that having a Power Commander on my bike will eventually wreck my ECM (computer). Has anyone had experience with this? I like the way my bike runs with the PCIII on but I am not in favor of installing a new ECM someday. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Will PCIII destroy ECM?

This has been brought up several times on the forum. I have not seen anything to indicate that this is true. What I have seen is several PCIIIs go out without you knowing it and the bike will just run bad.

Old 04-06-2006, 03:20 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Never heard that one. I've had PCs on my last two bikes without a problem.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:32 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I agree with most of the posts here, that PCIII should not damage your ECM. The only risk you have is that the PCIII module has to sit on your bike, thus could be subjected to vibration, heat, water, etc. Another choice you have would be to go with the Screaming Eagle Race Tuner. With this, there is no module to mount on the bike, and it works directly with you stock ECM. The price difference is pretty comparable. But, PCIII may be a bit cheaper.

ORIGINAL: classic cruiser

My dealer told me that having a Power Commander on my bike will eventually wreck my ECM (computer). Has anyone had experience with this? I like the way my bike runs with the PCIII on but I am not in favor of installing a new ECM someday. Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

The SERT is my choice too. I had a Power Commander go out on my bike and since it was out of warranty they would not make it good. When the PCIII goes out you go back to your stock ECM. That can be really bad if you don't recognize the problem immediately.

Old 04-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Topper
Road Captain

I run the SERT, my buddy just bought a RG and wanted to save some money and go with the PCIII (also due to the fact the SERT is on backorder) and this was from the horses mouth (Who happens to sell both units)...............

The SERT actually programs the ECM to run within certain peramiters, where a PCIII sends false signals telling the ECM how the bike should run. Also said with the unit having to be mounted on the bike, it could be subject to weather, etc...... Thus if it can't send signals, you may be $hit out of luck on a backroad somewhere.

If a Stealer has the PCIII in stock and could profit right then, yet tells a man to wait on the SERT to come in (Approx. 2 weeks), that in itself, should say a good bit about which one to go with. I personally could care less which you go with, the SERT is about $100 more in most cases, about the same as a tow bill if the PCIII went bad and left you stranded.

Not looking for a flame, SERT vs. PCIII, the above came from a Service Managers mouth, not mine, and I am not a wrench by any means, but really trust this Service Manager, he runs the SERT on his SG also.

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2006, 06:40 PM
sedbiker62
Road Captain

Topper, no flame intended here but I have a Harley Davidson service manager telling me that SERT OR PCIII will void warranty. This Bloomington Indiana dealership is recommending Vance and Hines Fuelpak. I've got yet another dealer in Louisville KY telling customers to go with the SE race fueler. Chances are you could ask 10 different dealers the same question and get a different answer everytime. Unless a person is experienced with tuning or has deep pockets for the dyno time and tech time, my opinion is that the SERT is overkill for the average rider. PCIII is marginally more user friendly, but still requires a laptop interface and dyno time. The SE race fueler requires dyno time to be tuned correctly. The Vance and Hines Fuelpak is plug and play, does not need computer interface, easy to install and would meet the needs of the average rider. Just an observation.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

ORIGINAL: Topper

I run the SERT, my buddy just bought a RG and wanted to save some money and go with the PCIII (also due to the fact the SERT is on backorder) and this was from the horses mouth (Who happens to sell both units)...............

The SERT actually programs the ECM to run within certain peramiters, where a PCIII sends false signals telling the ECM how the bike should run. Also said with the unit having to be mounted on the bike, it could be subject to weather, etc...... Thus if it can't send signals, you may be $hit out of luck on a backroad somewhere.

If a Stealer has the PCIII in stock and could profit right then, yet tells a man to wait on the SERT to come in (Approx. 2 weeks), that in itself, should say a good bit about which one to go with. I personally could care less which you go with, the SERT is about $100 more in most cases, about the same as a tow bill if the PCIII went bad and left you stranded.

Not looking for a flame, SERT vs. PCIII, the above came from a Service Managers mouth, not mine, and I am not a wrench by any means, but really trust this Service Manager, he runs the SERT on his SG also.

Good Luck!

Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM
Mitt
Cruiser

Holy $hit BatMan -

PCIII - SERT -V&H Fuel pack - SE Race Fueler ... Give me a "F-ing" break which is the best friggin tuner for Christ sake ??? Forget the cost parameters - ease of use, reliability, and effectiveness are paramount and to that end which is the best ? I don't want to spend +$300 and find out I got HOSED ...

Old 04-06-2006, 07:35 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn,t know this stuff I have pc 2 that has 40 k and 4 years old. .Tomorrow im going to trailer my striped RG for a pc 3 and dino tune .Just so long as she gets me home Ill be ok.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/7535A9CC3F344D1AAE9CF68661F1DAFB.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-06-2006, 08:09 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer [sm=bs.gif]

Quick Reply: Will PCIII destroy ECM?