Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will PCIII destroy ECM?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 08:14 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will PCIII destroy ECM?

Short answer is if you want a quality HD product go with SERT, if you want a quality aftermarket product go with PCIII-it will NOT damage you EMC.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mitt

Holy $hit BatMan -

PCIII - SERT -V&H Fuel pack - SE Race Fueler ... Give me a "F-ing" break which is the best friggin tuner for Christ sake ??? Forget the cost parameters - ease of use, reliability, and effectiveness are paramount and to that end which is the best ? I don't want to spend +$300 and find out I got HOSED ...
The SERT allows the most tuning. The SERT is a genuine Harley Davidson part and will not void the warranty unless you install it yourself and screw up your motor because you set it too lean. Hell, a chrome mirrow will void the warranty on your paint if you drop it on your gas tank while installing it.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
foghat
Advanced

I bought this EFI Controller. Points of adjustment Thundermax (1900), PCIII (279), SERT (159). This replaces the stock Harley ECM and is a much better processing unit. Does not trick stock ECM like the PCIII it replaces it. Price $429.00 Check it out. Do what you want but I think this is the way to go. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Thundermax EFI Controller

Old 04-06-2006, 08:29 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: sedbiker62

Topper, no flame intended here but I have a Harley Davidson service manager telling me that SERT OR PCIII will void warranty. This Bloomington Indiana dealership is recommending Vance and Hines Fuelpak. I've got yet another dealer in Louisville KY telling customers to go with the SE race fueler. Chances are you could ask 10 different dealers the same question and get a different answer everytime. Unless a person is experienced with tuning or has deep pockets for the dyno time and tech time, my opinion is that the SERT is overkill for the average rider. PCIII is marginally more user friendly, but still requires a laptop interface and dyno time. The SE race fueler requires dyno time to be tuned correctly. The Vance and Hines Fuelpak is plug and play, does not need computer interface, easy to install and would meet the needs of the average rider. Just an observation.

Steve[sm=icon_rock.gif]

ORIGINAL: Topper

I run the SERT, my buddy just bought a RG and wanted to save some money and go with the PCIII (also due to the fact the SERT is on backorder) and this was from the horses mouth (Who happens to sell both units)...............

The SERT actually programs the ECM to run within certain peramiters, where a PCIII sends false signals telling the ECM how the bike should run. Also said with the unit having to be mounted on the bike, it could be subject to weather, etc...... Thus if it can't send signals, you may be $hit out of luck on a backroad somewhere.

If a Stealer has the PCIII in stock and could profit right then, yet tells a man to wait on the SERT to come in (Approx. 2 weeks), that in itself, should say a good bit about which one to go with. I personally could care less which you go with, the SERT is about $100 more in most cases, about the same as a tow bill if the PCIII went bad and left you stranded.

Not looking for a flame, SERT vs. PCIII, the above came from a Service Managers mouth, not mine, and I am not a wrench by any means, but really trust this Service Manager, he runs the SERT on his SG also.

Good Luck!
If the Power Commander did eat your ECM or your engine, do you think DynoJet would still be selling them? Come on, give me a freekin' break.

The PC is not going to damage your ECM. Our local dealer installs PC units and not SERTs. Probably because he gets a better profit margin.
However, they put a buttload of them on brand new bikes.

Technically no matter what you use you should put the bike on a dyno to properly tune it for your bike. You can come very close with the canned profiles / maps, but nothing will beat one done specifically for your bike.

Old 04-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>&g t;>>>>
The SERT is a genuine Harley Davidson part and will not void the warranty
Doesn't the SERT have the crossed flags which indicate closed course only?
Otherwise known as Not For Street Use

Old 04-06-2006, 11:05 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bruce00

ORIGINAL: Terry1955

<<<<<SNIP>>>>>>&g t;>>>>
The SERT is a genuine Harley Davidson part and will not void the warranty
Doesn't the SERT have the crossed flags which indicate closed course only?
Otherwise known as Not For Street Use
Don't most of the mods we've done to our engines and exhaust have the same prohibition?

Old 04-07-2006, 10:12 AM
Mitt
Cruiser

What is the official name of this SERT unit - as I tried to look it up online and the Harley website did not recognize it as a part or accessory - what gives?

Is there a secret handshake I need to know about ...??? LOL [sm=burnout.gif]

Old 04-07-2006, 10:43 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior

Screamin Eagle Race Tuner

Old 04-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

Mitt if you go to the HD site you have to look for it under the SE parts catalog NOT the regular HD catalog that we usually look at.

Old 04-10-2006, 03:30 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: foghat

I bought this EFI Controller. Points of adjustment Thundermax (1900), PCIII (279), SERT (159). This replaces the stock Harley ECM and is a much better processing unit. Does not trick stock ECM like the PCIII it replaces it. Price $429.00 Check it out. Do what you want but I think this is the way to go. Others will disagree I'm sure.

Thundermax EFI Controller
I live relatively close to Zippers and have been to the shop many times. Quality stuff. A friend of mine has the Thundermax on his EG Classic and loves it. Wish they'd had the damn thing available when I got my PCIII (not that I'm unhappy with the PCIII ).