Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for advice on 09 Ultra Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 07:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts
Question Looking for advice on 09 Ultra Purchase

Last weekend I had a woman playing with a cell phone pull out in front of me doing about 50MPH. To avoid hitting her, I took the softer choice and headed for the ditch. To cut it short, she never saw me nor did she ever stop. Got thrown over the handlebars about 30 feet but much to my surprise, a few bruises and bumps, sore shoulder and neck, but otherwise I'm fine.

Now, I just got the estimate on my 06 RK Friday about 6PM. $12,000 damage (yep you guessed it, frame damage). Feel certain the insurance co is not going to repair it and just total it. Insert hard earned tears here. I loved my bike and invested lots of time and money into it to get it the way i wanted. Irresponsible, stupid $&^%&* people **** me off!

I'm looking at the 09 Ultra as a replacement. I don't want the stock sluggish performance as come with most HD bikes (unless SE). I do not want to go with a big bore kit as I don't need that. Simply cams, stage 1, and pipes.

Looking for suggestions from those who own 09 Ultra's (or the likes) on what cams and what pipes to go with. I love the thunderheaders slipons that were on my RK. I'm thinking true duals this time though.

Tell me what you folks suggest please....

Old 11-16-2008, 07:14 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't purchase any extended warranty because if you do Stage 1, your factory warranty (or extended) will be voided by MOCO.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:20 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Fine choice. I love my 09 Ultra.

It is kinda slow out of the box. Nothing really new there. I have an 07 SG which is like 100 pounds lighter with nice pipes and a stage 1 to compare it to. It's faster.

SO.... I took the tourpak and all the grandpa chrome stuff off the 09 and it got a little quicker. I'm still waiting for D&D to release their FatCat for the 09s. I'm also waiting for the new powercommander. I have a Ness Big sucker but have not installed it. So for the past 3K miles I've been putting up with stock pipes and all. I actually like the way it runs and sounds. Still putting the FatCat on when it is available...

Wish I had more to add. Still waiting.

lp

Old 11-16-2008, 07:27 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I went with the D&D Boss slipons, SE AC, traded the 07 RKC in on it. Got the ABS option, the bike has more umph that the 07 did new, gear ratio changes I think. Get the pipes and ac before deciding on the cams, if you do get cams check out the HQ 500 or 575.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:28 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,856 Likes on 1,602 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Don't purchase any extended warranty because if you do Stage 1, your factory warranty (or extended) will be voided by MOCO.
Not trying to bring hate or anything but this is not really true in every case. I know you are only bringing this to the table because you were told this....

I have extended warranties on all my bikes with a stage 1 or powercommander installed. I have never had any problem with the dealers around here (Charleston, SC) honoring their warranties. I've brought bikes in too. One for a Head that was kaput, the other for new spoke rims and tires. All in all about $3K in warranty work.

Talk to your dealer.

lp

Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

i'm very familiar with the tactics these service centers play with people. I'm not concerned about the warranty aspect, just looking for advice on what to do with this new ride. I don't want to do what i did with my RK in respect to going through 5 sets of pipes before i found the best ones for my setup... Wanna do it right from the start so I don't have to do it again, and again, and again.

thanks folks

Old 11-16-2008, 07:53 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bummer about your old bike, but glad you're ok. I traded an 07 Ultra for an 09, and it does seem to be a bit quicker due to the gear ratio. I had the dealer do a stage 1 with download, and added Kerker slip ons. It runs ok by me, but I know I won't win any races. You are kinda limited on exhaust right now, there's not much out there.

I've decided to run it like this for a while until I have better choices of pipes, then at some point I will probably do a stage 2 with a SERT and dyno. But for now I am very happy with the way she runs.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:00 AM
sniperduce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voiding the warranty with stage 1 type of upgrades must be a regional thing. Isn't true at my dealer in Oklahoma. They asked me at the 1K service what pipes and fuel manager I was considering adding. They told me everyone eventually will add them and they do many time when they sell them before delivery. They also know I have the 5 yr HD warranty because I told them I wouldn't buy it if they wouldn't honor it later if I added pipes, etc.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:19 AM
americanthunder
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a buddy with a 09 black pearl ultra and he had a D&D fat cat installed at the time of purchase and the only thing he wasn't able to get yet was the ghost pipe for the 09