Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 RK Dislikes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 06:22 AM
WildBill2566
|
Road Master
Talking 2009 RK Dislikes?

Well the weather here is pretty awful at this time of year so only managed 450 miles so far.

There have only really been two things I would have had different on the bike;

#1 The stock HD seats always seem to be poor on comfort. Easy though not cheap cure, I now have a LePera Maverick seat on her. Had this seat on my 07 RK classic and I know the wife and I can manage 600 mile trips in reasonable comfort. Why on earth don't HD put a decent seat on in the first place.

#2 I love the look of the wheels, but the location of the valves is poor. I have ordered some 90 degree valve extensions and hopefully that will help. The rear is always going to be difficult and I can't see HD could easily make it better, but that front.................

Still all in all I have to say its the best HD I have ever ridden, and has some nice updates, and I suppose that if thats all I can find to moan about then things are not so bad.

Old 11-16-2008 | 07:32 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

thanks for the reveiw. I am looking at the 09 RK or RKC now. Did you consider the Road King Classic at all??

Old 11-16-2008 | 11:06 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member

I agree on the valve stems, but my stock Ultra seat has always been comfortable. Just luck it and my azz go together

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:00 PM
jkelley
Tourer

I just boutht the road King Classic. I had the dealer swap the wheels and tires from a standard because I do not like the whole spoke deal. I agree on the valves. Man I love the ride....

Old 11-16-2008 | 04:16 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by WildBill2566
Well the weather here is pretty awful at this time of year so only managed 450 miles so far.

There have only really been two things I would have had different on the bike;

#1 The stock HD seats always seem to be poor on comfort. Easy though not cheap cure, I now have a LePera Maverick seat on her. Had this seat on my 07 RK classic and I know the wife and I can manage 600 mile trips in reasonable comfort. Why on earth don't HD put a decent seat on in the first place.

#2 I love the look of the wheels, but the location of the valves is poor. I have ordered some 90 degree valve extensions and hopefully that will help. The rear is always going to be difficult and I can't see HD could easily make it better, but that front.................

Still all in all I have to say its the best HD I have ever ridden, and has some nice updates, and I suppose that if thats all I can find to moan about then things are not so bad.
with the crown of the rim being the location of the valve stem, are those new 90 deg valve stems all rubber?

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:03 AM
WildBill2566
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by gtad1
with the crown of the rim being the location of the valve stem, are those new 90 deg valve stems all rubber?
No they are plated brass, but I'm not going to leave em on. I am hoping I can connect the extensions to the air line first and then screw the extensions onto the stems to adjust air pressures.

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:08 AM
WildBill2566
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by KBrown53
thanks for the reveiw. I am looking at the 09 RK or RKC now. Did you consider the Road King Classic at all??
I had an 07 classic amd loved it but ended up putting on alloy wheels and had a hankering for the hard bags. I also wanted the bigger front tyre, so I went with the standard. It will be cheaper to get the leather bags for the standard if I want em. I did have the dealer fit cruise for me though, which is oem on the classic. I also wanted the license plate positioned below the rear light as I think it looks cleaner.

Old 11-17-2008 | 03:30 AM
Mad Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by WildBill2566
No they are plated brass, but I'm not going to leave em on. I am hoping I can connect the extensions to the air line first and then screw the extensions onto the stems to adjust air pressures.
I'm using one WildBill and unfortunately I think you'll find you have to screw it onto the valve stem first. I've found too that I have to over-inflate just a tad as you do loose some airpressure when you screw the brass valve on and off. Once it's on it's okay as it has an internal self contained valve too.

Old 11-17-2008 | 11:23 AM
KBrown53
Road Captain

WildBill
do you know if pre-2009 RKC leather bags will fit right up to the 2009 RK Standard?? I am thinking of getting the RK Standard, buying a set of RKC stock leather bags off ebay and have both sets of bags.

thank you.

Old 11-17-2008 | 11:44 AM
AzDesertTroll
Road Captain

Just bought the 09 RKC last Sunday and have put just under 800 miles on it. It is my first HD after many years of drooling on show room floors. The seat is the first thing that is going to get changed when I get back from my next tour in the sandbox. Two days ago I did a 565 mile ride with a group and my hind parts are still a little sore. The lack of comfort in the seat is kind of a downer, but having to change it out is really not that big of a deal because I had planned switching to a solo seat arraignment anyways. I am also kicking around the idea of getting some hard bags to change out with the leather ones, but that is still up in the air.

Quick Reply: 2009 RK Dislikes?