Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

OK, so the newer HDs are set up from MOCO to run "lean".

So, knowing that certain modifications to the EFI will void your warranty, lets assume I dont do anything to the EFI and let the bike continue to run lean. (I added mufflers alone) What is the downside of the bike running lean??

Heat correct?? Anything else? If I add a cooler and otherwise the heat issue is manageable, is it safe to not alter the EFI and ride as is (thus keeping warranty intact)??

I myself don't think Iwant to do the rest of the Stage 1 Modification if it will void my 7 year paid for warranty.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:59 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special

So, knowing that certain modifications to the EFI will void your warranty, lets assume I dont do anything to the EFI and let the bike continue to run lean. (I added mufflers alone) What is the downside of the bike running lean??

Heat correct?? Anything else? If I add a cooler and otherwise the heat issue is manageable, is it safe to not alter the EFI and ride as is (thus keeping warranty intact)??

I myself don't think Iwant to do the rest of the Stage 1 Modification if it will void my 7 year paid for warranty.
If it voids warranties why do all the dealers want you to let them do it?

Old 11-14-2008, 09:02 PM
pled55
Road Master

since you have put the monsters on and had a chance to ride it for a while .how much hotter is it ? how does it run ?and have you checked your plugs? any detonation?or anything else that may indicate a problem.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:06 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by pled55
since you have put the monsters on and had a chance to ride it for a while .how much hotter is it ? how does it run ?and have you checked your plugs? any detonation?or anything else that may indicate a problem.
I haven't looked at the plugs. What should I look for? The bike runs strong and I think I noticed an increase in power even, no popping at all. I cant judge the heat yet, haven't had it out enough. Have the Oil fill digital thermometer on there, and It was about 235 degrees last time out. (Air temp was mid 50s) Am going to switch to syn oil soon and am adding a HD cooler too. I'm thinking this may be enough to keep the bike stock and keep my warranty intact??

Old 11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

SNS, Sounds like you and I are going through the same issues. I have only added the Rush 2.0's and nothing else, the bikes runs great and no decel popping or other issues. Seems like it runs fine but I have felt some heat on occasion, I too am going with the synthetic in about 200 more miles. I will tell you I spoke with the dealer yesterday and asked specifically about the new PC V and was told unless it was a HD Tuner it would void my warranty. I know there are a million opinions on these issue but I kinda need to listen to the dealer that is going to do my service? They are going to charge around $550. for the SERT and that includes the dyno through the full range. I am really not sure what I am going to do at this point??? Let me know what you are hearing, feel free to PM me and we can compare notes. Doug

Old 11-14-2008, 09:23 PM
pled55
Road Master

well the last bike i had an 05 rkc i checked those stock and they were white .then i went and added a stage one set up and they got a little color but were still on the white side so i really don't know what to think as far as changing just pipes as i haven't done anything to this bike yet . it may take some more riding time to get a true assessment on everything. keep us posted

Old 11-14-2008, 09:32 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Conehead
SNS, Sounds like you and I are going through the same issues. I have only added the Rush 2.0's and nothing else, the bikes runs great and no decel popping or other issues. Seems like it runs fine but I have felt some heat on occasion, I too am going with the synthetic in about 200 more miles. I will tell you I spoke with the dealer yesterday and asked specifically about the new PC V and was told unless it was a HD Tuner it would void my warranty. I know there are a million opinions on these issue but I kinda need to listen to the dealer that is going to do my service? They are going to charge around $550. for the SERT and that includes the dyno through the full range. I am really not sure what I am going to do at this point??? Let me know what you are hearing, feel free to PM me and we can compare notes. Doug
Sounds good. I'd hate to throw away a 7 year "paid for" warranty. Maybe I'll see what the Syn. Oil and cooler addition does to the temps. Anyway, can wait till spring or summer to see what really developes heat-wise. can always let the dealer do the HD SERT as long as it validates the warranty..... I just now ordered up Redline Syn Oil as well as tranny and primary Syn oil too and I will install my oil cooler as soon as my 7/16" hex socket arrives..

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds good. I'd hate to throw away a 7 year "paid for" warranty. Maybe I'll see what the Syn. Oil and cooler addition does to the temps. Anyway, can wait till spring or summer to see what really developes heat-wise. can always let the dealer do the HD SERT as long as it validates the warranty..... I just now ordered up Redline Syn Oil as well as tranny and primary Syn oil too and I will install my oil cooler as soon as my 7/16" hex socket arrives..
This is gonna vary from dealer to dealer. The dealer I bought my 07 Nightrain from told me the SERT would void my warranty. He said thats why all the Screamin Eagle parts say "for off road use only". He said any screamin eagle part might void the warranty. So, who do you believe

Old 11-14-2008, 09:38 PM
wiedman
Stage II

Ask the dealer to see the sert box it says right on the box that the unit has warranty implications

Old 11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Doug,
Ck your PM

Quick Reply: Downside of New HDs running LEAN?