Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:19 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I would definitely make the move to an EFI controller, and the PC-V sounds like a winner to me. Stock HD's after '06 (and '06 Dynas) use narrow-band closed-loop systems and at cruise and idle when warm are set to stoich (14.7:1), which works fine in your car but manifests side-effects in an air-cooled MC. It will elevate head and oil temperatures, which can get very hot in summer months, especially without an oil cooler. I have an HD oil cooler and oil temps stay in line even though I have my cruise-range set rather lean (probably around 14.5) for better mileage. Typical oil temps are 180° when air temps are below 75°, up to about 210° while moving in summer, and as high as 230° in traffic. These are manageable and safe oil temps, IMO. When needed I can also activate my oil-cooler fans (fabricated) and the PCIII's map switch (optional with multifunction hub). My second map, switchable on the fly, produces a richer mixture designed to cool things down. The fans and switch are not necessary, but I like to tinker more than most, and they do work to some degree.

Warranty issues like this really depend on the dealer, but if a problem does not relate to an EFI modification there would be no legal way HD could deny your warranty. Any EFI mod that's installed and tuned properly will enhance the engine's longevity, and there's no way a PCIII could cause problems for the ECU since it is installed downstream of that unit. I also do all maintenance and repairs on my bike, but I've had a few warranty adjustments on my '07, none related to engine or EFI. The dealer never said anything about my PCIII that I installed and fine-tuned myself, and even discussed my tuning methods with him several times.

I'm considering a PC-V myself, as I like the ability to specify the AFR I want at any given point in the A/F chart. Jamie at Fuel Moto tells me that the software will look the same but instead of percent (AFR) and degree (timing) values used with the PCIII the PC-V will use AFR values, which to me are a much better solution. AFR values tell you much more, as with the PCIII's open-loop chart you can't ascertain the AFR starting point without putting the bike on a dyno or attaching some other type of AFR gauge. I tune by the seat of my pants using input such as heat, detonation, and surging as my gauge.

Jamie also tells me my map switch will also work with the PC-V, so I would create a gas-mileage map to use most of the time and also a second map to use when the going gets hot, like when stuck in traffic during hot weather. The downside is that the combo (PC-V and wideband module) will likely be $500 or so, and I'm not sure I'm that keen on spending that much on something that may not provide much improvement for me, certainly not in full-throttle performance. If I was buying from scratch I would definitely go this route.

One good reason beyond cooling to modify your bike from a stock setup is
performance. Just a PCIII, AC, and Rush slip-ons made a major difference on my bike. Playing with the cruise-range values on the PCIII map has also given me reasonably good mileage outside the city, 38-50mpg depending on speed and conditions. Lowest is city riding in cool weather with numerous cold starts, the highest at 55mph on backroads. By leaving Jamie's excellent tuning values intact above the cruise range I have not lost any performance in the process.

Jamie told us that the PC V is only able to work on the 09's, not earlier years.

Old 11-17-2008, 02:29 PM
RHillbilly
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

the 09s wont burn your leg when rear cylinder gets to hot it shuts down the rear cylinder

Old 11-17-2008, 04:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,378 Likes on 2,547 Posts

I'm considering a PC-V myself, as I like the ability to specify the AFR I want at any given point in the A/F chart. Jamie at Fuel Moto tells me that the software will look the same but instead of percent (AFR) and degree (timing) values used with the PCIII the PC-V will use AFR values, which to me are a much better solution. AFR values tell you much more, as with the PCIII's open-loop chart you can't ascertain the AFR starting point without putting the bike on a dyno or attaching some other type of AFR gauge. I tune by the seat of my pants using input such as heat, detonation, and surging as my gauge.
according to the dynojet website:

Originally Posted by dynojet
(Note: PCV’s will only be available for 2009 model year motorcycles)
planning on a new bike are we ?

i thought the pcv sounded like a good thing too. wish they would make it for older bikes.....

edit: oops, see someone already beat me to the punch...

Old 11-17-2008, 04:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by brihvac
Jamie told us that the PC V is only able to work on the 09's, not earlier years.
I talked with him last week and he told me it would work on earlier models except '08s. He said the '07 and earlier FLHs would use the same PC-V as newer Dynas (i.e. no TBW). We talked at length about replacing my PCIII with the PC-V and wideband module. I just emailed Jamie for verification and will post his answer later.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
zoood
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly
the 09s wont burn your leg when rear cylinder gets to hot it shuts down the rear cylinder
That makes as much sense as removing a skillet from an open flame on the stove. The skillet is still hot!

Old 11-17-2008, 04:25 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I talked with him last week and he told me it would work on earlier models except '08s. He said the '07 and earlier FLHs would use the same PC-V as newer Dynas (i.e. no TBW). We talked at length about replacing my PCIII with the PC-V and wideband module. I just emailed Jamie for verification and will post his answer later.
I dont understand then why it wont work on the 08 then. The 08 and 09 are TBW

Old 11-17-2008, 04:43 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've made a decision to get my bike back to 100% stock, mufflers and all.

My reasons are this:

1. I really don't want to jeopardize a paid for 7 year factory warranty. I just cant justify screwing with that.

2. The Monster Ovals while nice, are a tad louder then I expected them to be and I really don't consider them good for touring / long distance and on top of that, the baffles seem to be pretty big (something over 2" in diameter, maybe 2-1/4 or so, I didnt measure exact) and I am sure they are allowing the bike to breath better just because of less restriction. On a lean set bike, that means it's only going to run "leaner" still and that is not good for the motor, especially if no other modifications are going to be done to correct that.

3. I really was not disappointed at all with the stock 2009 factory HD mufflers and I was actually impressed with there sound when I first got the bike. Definitely quieter then the MOs and more stereo "friendly," so definitely livable too.

I will add an HD Oil Cooler and am switching to 100% syn-thetic in all three holes this coming weekend. The MOs will come off the bike at that time too. I'll enjoy the bike as is and add some chrome goodies with the money I get for the Monster Ovals, which will go up on ebay soon. I'll post a link for anyone interested in the mufflers. I love the bike so far, I really do and I don't want to have to worry about overheating, melting it down or warranty denial either. It was made to run lean from MOCO and I will do what I can to help keep the temperature reasonable with the afore mentioned changes (cooler and oil).

Thanks to all who shared your opinions in this thread and for putting up with my tirade earlier about the warranty issue.

The MOs for anyone interested are made for 09 Touring HDs and are chrome with black tips, which I reversed to slash "up" to better match the slant of the bags...

(Just got done ordering up the 09 CVO Road Glide passenger compact backrest from Zanottis, so I'm already feeling even better about my decision)

Last edited by RODEO; 11-17-2008 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by skratch
according to the dynojet website:

planning on a new bike are we ?
Nope. That's not in the cards at all.

i thought the pcv sounded like a good thing too. wish they would make it for older bikes...
I just talked to Jamie on the phone. The PC-V for '09-only FLH bikes will be introduced soon, if not available now, and those for '09 Dynas/Softails coming about three weeks later. The '09 Dyna and '07 & earlier FLH are identical, so they should work. That's the poop from Jamie, and he did say they would be testing to verify backward compatibility. I guess until this happens there's a chance there will be a problem, but it looks favorable for us older-bike owners at this time.

The '08 models will apparently not be compatible with the PC-V, however, at least not at this time.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:04 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RHillbilly

Probably beacuse the pipe isn't there anymore. Stick your leg under the bike and it most certainly will. The '08 does the exact same thing when cylinder head temp reaches 380 deg f. Same temp as the '09. Can maually do it on '08 if ya want. The tune on the '09 is only different because of the different exhaust and finsl drive ratio change. They are tuned to the same constants. No difference.

Old 11-17-2008, 05:21 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I've made a decision to get my bike back to 100% stock, mufflers and all.

My reasons are this:

1. I really don't want to jeopardize a paid for 7 year factory warranty. I just cant justify screwing with that.
I'm not trying to put the hard-sell on you for ECM mods, but I really don't think this is a problem, as I haven't heard anyone complain about a dealer refusing warranty service because an ECM controller was installed. I would talk to someone at your dealer that you trust and ask him about it. What might worry me is the warranty status after the factory warranty, which I assume is issued by a third-party vendor. They may be more hard-nosed than HD or their dealer network about what gets approved and what doesn't. Read the fine print in your warranty documentation and see what they say. If they don't make any stipulations about ECM controllers I would think you would be cleared to do it without fear of being hassled.

One other aspect to this is that a PC-V alone is an open-loop system and a quick-install just like the PC-III, and if you ever did need warranty service you could simply unplug and remove the PC-V and O2-sensor eliminators, reconnect the O2 sensors that were never removed from the head pipes, and you're back to stock. That would take maybe 15 min. to remove and maybe 20 min. to re-install. OTOH, the PC-V with WB module would be more of an ordeal to retrofit to stock. The WB O2 sensors would not be compatible with the stock ECU and would have to be replaced with the stock narrow-band sensors. These things sometimes don't remove easily and threads can be damaged, so I wouldn't want to be doing it repeatedly.

2. The Monster Ovals while nice, are a tad louder then I expected them to be and I really don't consider them good for touring / long distance and on top of that, the baffles seem to be pretty big (something over 2" in diameter, maybe 2-1/4 or so, I didnt measure exact) and I am sure they are allowing the bike to breath better just because of less restriction. On a lean set bike, that means it's only going to run "leaner" still and that is not good for the motor, especially if no other modifications are going to be done to correct that.
Consider Fuel Moto's Jackpot mufflers, which are IMO perfect for FLH bikes where a nice tone remains without so much volume that you can't hear the stereo or your ears ring after a long ride. Performance is stellar on these too with a PC and AC.

3. I really was not disappointed at all with the stock 2009 factory HD mufflers and I was actually impressed with there sound when I first got the bike. Definitely quieter then the MOs and more stereo "friendly," so definitely livable too.
OTOH they are very restrictive and will affect peak HP and low-end TQ as well. Jamie's dyno runs show a 13HP and 17TQ increase comparing an '09 stock RK and an '07 RK with the power package (PCIII, AC, and Jackpots). The '09 with the PP should be equal (or near) to the '07.

I will add an HD Oil Cooler and am switching to 100% syn-thetic in all three holes this coming weekend. The MOs will come off the bike at that time too. I'll enjoy the bike as is and add some chrome goodies with the money I get for the Monster Ovals, which will go up on ebay soon. I'll post a link for anyone interested in the mufflers. I love the bike so far, I really do and I don't want to have to worry about overheating, melting it down or warranty denial either. It was made to run lean from MOCO and I will do what I can to help keep the temperature reasonable with the afore mentioned changes (cooler and oil).
The cooler and synthetic oil is definitely the way to go regardless of whether you are stock or modified. I feel that any TC engine needs an oil cooler. Good luck with your bike regardless of how you fit it to your taste.

Quick Reply: Downside of New HDs running LEAN?