Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 02:56 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Slip ons, xied's, synthetic in all holes............what heat?

Old 11-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dealer installed my Vance and Hines slip-ons, SE A/C and tuned it with the SERT on the Dyno at my 1k service. They did before and after runs on the Dyno and my bike showed about a 16% increase in hp and tq plus runs noticably cooler. I am using Syn3 and run an HD oil cooler, but still put on RJs heat shields because in higher temp summer days you can still feel the heat. You have to remember that running cooler means lower mpg....can't really get around that. The MoCo tunes the bikes lean from the factory to meet epa requirements, not because its good for the bike. It's my belief that getting it to run cooler will extend the life of the engine. My dealer has no problems with warranty work on my bike because of the mods, not that there has been a need yet. Virtually all of the bikes owned by HD employees at my dealership have more or less the same mods I have, if not more. Any dealer that says adding a PC or tuning your bike with a SERT voids your warranty is blow smoke up you a$$, first of all the dealership can't void your warranty, only the MoCo can, then there is the Magnison Moss act that says a company has to prove the mods you made caused whatever damage you are trying to get repaired under warranty. I know you don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with your dealer, but most will honor any warranty issues and not try fight you on it, especially if you have them do the work.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a bike stock, if you only add mufflers you shouldn't have to do anything else, but if you add a free flowing intake you really need something to get more fuel into the mix, and the downloads from HD are a waste of money because they are still trying to keep the A/F mixture within epa regs. EXIDs, PC V, SERT, or V&H fuel pack will all do the job and I can't help but believe that a cooler running engine will run a lot more trouble free miles than one that is trying to melt you pipes every time you go for a ride on a hot summer day.....just my opinion.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
autoxr
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Windup08
The dealer installed my Vance and Hines slip-ons, SE A/C and tuned it with the SERT on the Dyno at my 1k service. They did before and after runs on the Dyno and my bike showed about a 16% increase in hp and tq plus runs noticably cooler. I am using Syn3 and run an HD oil cooler, but still put on RJs heat shields because in higher temp summer days you can still feel the heat. You have to remember that running cooler means lower mpg....can't really get around that. The MoCo tunes the bikes lean from the factory to meet epa requirements, not because its good for the bike. It's my belief that getting it to run cooler will extend the life of the engine. My dealer has no problems with warranty work on my bike because of the mods, not that there has been a need yet. Virtually all of the bikes owned by HD employees at my dealership have more or less the same mods I have, if not more. Any dealer that says adding a PC or tuning your bike with a SERT voids your warranty is blow smoke up you a$$, first of all the dealership can't void your warranty, only the MoCo can, then there is the Magnison Moss act that says a company has to prove the mods you made caused whatever damage you are trying to get repaired under warranty. I know you don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with your dealer, but most will honor any warranty issues and not try fight you on it, especially if you have them do the work.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a bike stock, if you only add mufflers you shouldn't have to do anything else, but if you add a free flowing intake you really need something to get more fuel into the mix, and the downloads from HD are a waste of money because they are still trying to keep the A/F mixture within epa regs. EXIDs, PC V, SERT, or V&H fuel pack will all do the job and I can't help but believe that a cooler running engine will run a lot more trouble free miles than one that is trying to melt you pipes every time you go for a ride on a hot summer day.....just my opinion.

+1 on that!!

I think you will have more trouble free miles if you get the bike running properly.Moco has to get these bikes to pass emisions to sell them.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:45 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

I'm glad I didn't purchase any warranty!

Back on topic though, on my daily driver, I felt the same way, no power upgrades until my warranty is done. That way the dealer can't weasel its way out of a repair. With my bike, I consider it a luxury item. If something happens to the motor, it's not gonna cost anywhere near the cost of a rebuild on my 6.0 liter in my Silverado SS. Also, take this into consideration, if you get the PC V, AC, and have it dynoed, why would anything go wrong? I say do what you originally wanted and not worry about it until it happens which will probably never happen in seven years.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:48 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Apparently, XIEDs are NOT an option for the 2009 Touring Bikes:

"The 2009 FLH's are not compatible with any of the IED family of products. We have not certified the 09 FL's for any of the IED product line. The ECM software load HD is using in the 09 FLH's is completely different than earlier model FL's and HD seems to have changed the wiring harness. The results we have seen for these bikes are not to our high standards. If you have an 09 FL and purchased XiED's please contact us. We will be looking for an 09 specific FL upgrade in the future, but for now riders will need to explore other upgrade options to alter their fuel mixture."

http://www.nightrider.com/parts/

Last edited by RODEO; 11-15-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Windup08
Any dealer that says adding a PC or tuning your bike with a SERT voids your warranty is blow smoke up you a$$, first of all the dealership can't void your warranty, only the MoCo can, then there is the Magnison Moss act that says a company has to prove the mods you made caused whatever damage you are trying to get repaired under warranty.
While that may be, you must remember that they've got some pretty deep pockets to let you take it all the way to the Supreme Court, too. So while you might win in the end, you'll be out a bunch more than the cost of a new ride just to get there if you disagree with them about a warranty issue.

There's nothing wrong with keeping a bike stock, if you only add mufflers you shouldn't have to do anything else, but if you add a free flowing intake you really need something to get more fuel into the mix, and the downloads from HD are a waste of money because they are still trying to keep the A/F mixture within epa regs. EXIDs, PC V, SERT, or V&H fuel pack will all do the job...
Several points there merit further discussion. There's truly nothing wrong with keeping a bike stock (or adding approved mufflers/intake and getting the appropriate (approved) ECU flash). In fact, it's a legal requirement, both on your (the owner) part and on the part of anybody who wrenches on it for you! If you so much as put mufflers on which don't bear an EPA stamp, one which matches the EPA code on your frame, then you've legally created a new model vehicle and must submit it for EPA approval. The bikes are approved only in stock (or with some SE parts) form. You cannot alter anything which deals with emission of either sound or gases. These laws have been on the books for years already. Maybe they've not been very diligent enforcing them, but I'd look for them to step that up a notch or two in the near future.

Making fueling changes to cool these motors down and still operate them on public roads is unjustifiable in any way, legally. It's not a warranty issue in and of itself, but if the Moco says you've released them from warranty obligation because of the way you did it, what are you going to do? Are you going to go to court and admit to the judge that you've broken Federal law?

I disagree that the downloads are a waste of money. Sure, there's some adaptability in the EFI, but it ain't enough to cover what needs to be done when making breathing equipment changes. And the download doesn't really do anything for the closed-loop area except to help keep the adaptive routines centered in their ranges. The bulk of what the download does (and for the air breather, primarily) takes place in open-loop ranges where the bike was not too lean from the factory and will once again be not too lean now with the freer-breathing airbox.

Old 11-16-2008, 12:44 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

This looks like a neat gauge to have on your bike! At least you can monitor for dangerous conditions then.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rsrgauge.htm

Closed Loop and O2 Sensors

You drive down to the Harley dealer in your late model car or truck. It starts instantly, works perfectly for years, and it has narrowband O2 sensors. You buy your expensive Harley and want to take off the sophisticated Delphi Closed-Loop Narrowband system and put on a completely new system with Wide Band Sensors or, even worse, you want to put on a Power Commander that eliminates the O2 sensors. Is there some logical disconnect here?

You decide you want to tune your efi so it runs at 13.2:1 instead of 14.7:1. There goes 11% of your fuel economy. The fact is your engine will have the most complete burn @ 14.7:1 and that is where it should run for the best economy and drivability, just like the car and truck you went to the dealer in. Programming and strategy for closed loop tuning is not the same as it would be for carburetion.

If you install some device that installs between the factory OEM sensors and the ecu/ecm and sends a phony signal to the ecu the gauges will simply display the phony signal. That's headed back to electric carburetor instead of a sophisticated closed loop system. Remember that vehicle you drove down to the dealer in.

For a discussion of closed loop issues you can look at our RSR Fuel Injection. We addressed these issues way back in 1990"

Old 11-16-2008, 01:13 PM
streetglidebob
6th Gear

Saturday night special is right. If it isnt broke dont fix it. If the MOCO thought that this hot running wasnt acceptable they would do something about it. I do not think that this has been a concern long enough to really now the long term effect on engine life. Air cooled engines will get hot when there is no airflow in traffic. With modern synthetics oil temps of even 300 degrees will not harm the oils effectiveness. Just because your legs are on fire does not mean your motor is in danger.

Old 11-16-2008, 02:32 PM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Got an email from Steve Mullen . owner Night rider. he should have something in Jan for the baggers. Doc

Old 11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
and It was about 235 degrees last time out. (Air temp was mid 50s)
235? da_n! dat seems high to me, seeing as how my FXDL ran 211 on the hottest days and the hardest rides.
Sounds like the dealer needs to do an install after you finish the bolt-ons for the Stage 1

Quick Reply: Downside of New HDs running LEAN?