Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 11:34 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Talking Only REAL answer to heat issue

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by 05 Ultra; 11-15-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 222 Posts

Interesting thread here. Like you SNS, I have an 09 with interest in not wanting it to wear out prematurely due to excess heat.

Let's say your stock, lean burning motor needs valves and guides replaced after 4 years and 36K. Will HD say; "that's a normal wear condition and is not a manufacturing defect therefore not a warranty claim?" Or will they say we'll rebuild it for free since you bought our 7 year warranty? I honestly don't know but could imagine either being said.

Then there's the "what to do about slip-ons and airbox upgrade"? I'm in information overload on this one, especially since some of it contradicts other.

"Slip-ons, nothing needed, it'll adjust for them automatically"
"Slip-ons and airbox, nothing needed, it'll adjust for them automatically"
"Slip-ons and airbox, need download"
"Download? No good, just puts it back to the stock too lean condition"
"Download? Good, plugs nice tan color now instead of almost white"
"Download? Forget it, no good save your money and get sert, PC5, etc.
"Sert, PC5? Forget it, no need for just airbox and slip-ons (stage 1)"

Old 11-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Javawave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the ones from Kury on the bike. They help some. I dont know if the HD ones are better or not.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:18 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I believe my factory EFI will remain "stock" as I am not going to jeopardize my 7 year warranty, no way, no how.
HD built this bike to run lean, and lean it shall run....
I'm keeping mine stock also. I did go to syn oil and noticed a big change and then at the end of this summer added the Jagg 10 fin horizontal cooler and notice another heat decrease. I don't ride 2 up so the power I'm getting is fine with me. Plus I plan to do a trade in about another 1-2 years.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:25 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wonder if anyone has actually checked on a dyno what the afr on stock pipes is and what it is with slipons ?that that would be the answer.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:20 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how about XIED's in line add on to the Oxy sensors to trick AFR and make bike a little ritcher ? Can be easily removed before bringing to dealer... works for me...

Old 11-15-2008, 02:22 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Just a WAG here , but since they are under Federal Emissions Mandates , the MoCo , could easily say , to something that you do , such as a plug and play fuel pak or whatever , that you violated Federal Law by tampering with it , and you would have no grounds to stand on ...

On the other hand , if it is something , they did , I think they should stand behind it ..

Old 11-15-2008, 02:24 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
how about XIED's in line add on to the Oxy sensors to trick AFR and make bike a little ritcher ? Can be easily removed before bringing to dealer... works for me...
I'm curious about them as well , I want them , but I dont want to swap them out when I go the dealer , and they be able to tell from the ECM , that something was changed .. I'd bet that some type of signature is left in the ECM they could "see"

Old 11-15-2008, 02:29 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
Just a WAG here , but since they are under Federal Emissions Mandates , the MoCo , could easily say , to something that you do , such as a plug and play fuel pak or whatever , that you violated Federal Law by tampering with it , and you would have no grounds to stand on ...

On the other hand , if it is something , they did , I think they should stand behind it ..
I believe it says that in the manual about modifying the exhaust. I know that when I bought my bike I signed a waiver about the dealer not being responsible if I change the exhaust. It had to do with the state and emissions

Old 11-15-2008, 02:53 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pled55
wonder if anyone has actually checked on a dyno what the afr on stock pipes is and what it is with slipons ?that that would be the answer.
This is the question that needs to be answered!

Quick Reply: Downside of New HDs running LEAN?