Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking if the dealer suggests it and installs it (SERT) then he would pretty much have to take care of any warranty issues related to it or not. I didn't go in there and ask them what they thought or tell them I wanted one, they told me I NEEDED one!! I don't care what it says on the box, them SOBs had better take care of it if I ever have a problem!

Old 11-15-2008, 10:14 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

the sert is bs why can't they just flash it? the screamin eagles come from the factory set up without a sert. I still wish I had a carb.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:19 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that is the real answer (for me anyway) to take the bike in to have the ECM "reflashed" back to stock conditions, after the mufflers and air filter are on there. (Will replace the stock air filter element only with a K&N element). If factory lean is good for MOCO and keeps my warranty intact, it's good enough for me too.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:40 AM
OldDog
Cruiser

Sat Nite; I've got an 09 on the way; due Dec. I'm wrestling with the same issues. I agree that stock will make any warranty claims easier. The other side is the reported head temps over 1400. In the aviation world, running that hot is a guarantee for short jug life. In a well balanced air cooled engine, 75 rich (or lean) of peak is usuallly the best. (of course, lean of peak is not practical in a variable throttle app, too bad; it's worth 15% on fuel). The FuelMoto setup accomplishes this mix. I'll risk the possible warranty issues over 75+ degrees.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:47 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Elementary question but here goes:

If MOCO makes the bike to run lean and hot, then how long is the warranty period if the jugs or motor craps out because of said heat generation? What period of time is covered under warranty for instances of engine failure due to heat that they themselves set the bike up for?

Old 11-15-2008, 11:00 AM
HDDOC
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Most of the dealers here I have seen are saying its aright to add slip ons and also promote rush pipes and they say it does not void the warrinty, many have opted for the oil cooler and slip ons and have not had problems set up like this. I would think when nightrider comes out with a plug in 02 inrichiner, I would think it would not show on the stock ecm , other than maybe a lean code stored. which is also possible on a stock bike. Doc

Old 11-15-2008, 11:06 AM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
If factory lean is good for MOCO and keeps my warranty intact, it's good enough for me too.
If you're happy with toasting your leg at a light or being stuck in traffic in the summer, that's your call. Go with what makes ya happy!I don't believe MoCo woulda made the bike run so lean as to effect the jugs (or heads) and cause warranty issues. Never heard of anyones scooter melting down due too the factory tune. Just 3rd deg. burns on your leg...LOL
I couldn't wait....

Old 11-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Javawave
Tourer

I wish there was a black and white answer. I want the PC III just to cool off the bike, but I cant have the warranty voided if I have issues. so for the time being I am leaving it stock. the wife will just have to deal with the heat on her right leg. It doesnt effect me when riding. Only sitting still.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:23 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Javawave
I wish there was a black and white answer. I want the PC III just to cool off the bike, but I cant have the warranty voided if I have issues. so for the time being I am leaving it stock. the wife will just have to deal with the heat on her right leg. It doesnt effect me when riding. Only sitting still.

There IS, thats just the trouble. It's called your "Warranty Statement" and it supercedes all the "hear say" and "skuttlebut" being tossed around on these boards. Have a problem and the written warranty will override all else. Sure, I'd like my bike to run cooler too, we all would but not at the expense of voiding your warranty right?

Do what is doable to reduce the heat, add a HD Cooler not an aftermarket brand (even though they're probably better) and switch to Syn-thetic Oil if you haven't already. Add an oil temperature gauge, either on your fairing or get the dipstick digital for spot checking the temperatures. If I find that the bike is running too lean or getting too hot with my slip ons, I will revert back to the stock mufflers then. That way, when I get tired of the heat and decide to sell the bike I will at least have a transferrable warranty to offer a new buyer..

Last edited by RODEO; 11-15-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:31 AM
Javawave
Tourer

I have already went to the syn. I didnt notice a big difference on it. I never noticed much difference on my previous bike either. thats a whole different thread for me..lol. I guess I have decided to live with the heat also. I dont believe they are running so hot that they are hurting the motor and from what I have read and people I have talked to the oil cooler will not help the issue at stand still. thats the only place I have an issue. While riding it is tolerable, and thats where the oil cooler would be the biggest help. So... long story short, I am leaving mine stock. (at least for now.lol)

Quick Reply: Downside of New HDs running LEAN?