Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downside of New HDs running LEAN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iclick, you missed a lot as there are a few other thread floating about HD voiding warranties arbitrarily once an EFI modification has been noted. Check and you will find them... Thanks though!

Old 11-17-2008, 05:40 PM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know of a few riders who buy a bike brand new they don't change anything but the fluids and wash and clean it once and a while they ride just like the rest of us .but there are the rest that must tinker .because thats what they like to do.used to do it myself
what i'm really trying to say is make the bike your way .no matter what it is .after all it is yours you earned it and are paying for it .good luck in what ever you decide to do to make it your way. but ride the hell out of it thats what they are made for.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
I've made a decision to get my bike back to 100% stock, mufflers and all.

My reasons are this:

1. I really don't want to jeopardize a paid for 7 year factory warranty. I just cant justify screwing with that.

2. The Monster Ovals while nice, are a tad louder then I expected them to be and I really don't consider them good for touring / long distance and on top of that, the baffles seem to be pretty big (something over 2" in diameter, maybe 2-1/4 or so, I didnt measure exact) and I am sure they are allowing the bike to breath better just because of less restriction. On a lean set bike, that means it's only going to run "leaner" still and that is not good for the motor, especially if no other modifications are going to be done to correct that.

3. I really was not disappointed at all with the stock 2009 factory HD mufflers and I was actually impressed with there sound when I first got the bike. Definitely quieter then the MOs and more stereo "friendly," so definitely livable too.

I will add an HD Oil Cooler and am switching to 100% syn-thetic in all three holes this coming weekend. The MOs will come off the bike at that time too. I'll enjoy the bike as is and add some chrome goodies with the money I get for the Monster Ovals, which will go up on ebay soon. I'll post a link for anyone interested in the mufflers. I love the bike so far, I really do and I don't want to have to worry about overheating, melting it down or warranty denial either. It was made to run lean from MOCO and I will do what I can to help keep the temperature reasonable with the afore mentioned changes (cooler and oil).

Thanks to all who shared your opinions in this thread and for putting up with my tirade earlier about the warranty issue.

The MOs for anyone interested are made for 09 Touring HDs and are chrome with black tips, which I reversed to slash "up" to better match the slant of the bags...

(Just got done ordering up the 09 CVO Road Glide passenger compact backrest from Zanottis, so I'm already feeling even better about my decision)

This is my opinion, You are jumping the gun. BIG TIME