Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

License Plate Bracket Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:35 AM
joechief
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate Bracket Help!!

I want to mount the license plate on my Road King Custom lower, like on the Street Glide. I want a curved mount, but I do not like the Kuryaken one because the frame edge is so thick. I want something a little less noticeable. Do any of you know of any other brands, or do I have to fabricate something on my own. Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Joechief

Old 11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joechief
I want to mount the license plate on my Road King Custom lower, like on the Street Glide. I want a curved mount, but I do not like the Kuryaken one because the frame edge is so thick. I want something a little less noticeable. Do any of you know of any other brands, or do I have to fabricate something on my own. Any help would be great!!

Thanks,

Joechief
This isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you can convert your stock vertical plate mount to a laydown profile by turning it upside down and using a dremel tool to cut around 3 sides of the bolt holes, forming "tabs". As you tighten the bolts, the "tab" portion bends outward to tighten up against the rail while you get the laydown angle by pulling out on the bottom of the frame. It's hard to describe, but unbolt your plate mount and eyeball it a little bit and you'll see what I mean.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,266 Likes on 2,488 Posts

joechief,

i've looked into this since i have a roadking custom also. the problem with our bikes is that the turnsignal mounts have no holes drilled and tapped into them. the one on the street glide does.

i've found a couple of options, one, take off the light bar, drill and tap a couple of holes to mount the plate (using the stock street glide plate mount) and two, buy a street glide light bar (runs about 80 bucks) and then use the stock mount. and a third option, there was a guy on here who was making laydown plates and was gonna look into making a plate mount for the sg, don't know if he has yet. with any of these options, you are going to need a new taillight, with the white/clear window on the bottom to illuminate the plate.

actually, i had been looking at the kury curved plate holder, instead of the stock street glide mount (which only runs about 12 bucks, but is cheap....) but in the end have decided against all those options, i am thinking of going with a sidemount plate from fireman joes. this will keep the rear fender super clean. use led mount bolts to light the plate and good to go.

whatever you decide to do, come back and post about it. who knows, i may change my mind again....

Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.bruisersinc.com/Merchant2...y_Code=LICENSE

I have this one and you could cut the outside rail off and just use the backing plate which is curved. It has tabs that go under the turn signal and taillight. I thought about doing this but the rail is starting to grow on me. I looked for a simple curved one also but ended up with only this and the Kury as the only ones found. I guess it's a new product idea someone needs to produce.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:56 PM
rotorcrazy
Novice

google "Fireman Joe's". It's not exactly what your looking for but I went with this and loved it. It puts the license plate just behind your left bag right above your pipe.

Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket Help!!-imgp0999.jpg  

Last edited by rotorcrazy; 11-14-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:16 PM
joechief
Cruiser

I do like the location of your plate, but what I really like was your scooter!! What a good looking ride! I really like the leather bags with your color scheme. I took off my leather bags and went to hard bags, I wish I would had seen yours before I did that.

Joechief

Originally Posted by rotorcrazy
google "Fireman Joe's". It's not exactly what your looking for but I went with this and loved it. It puts the license plate just behind your left bag right above your pipe.

Old 11-16-2008, 09:51 PM
rotorcrazy
Novice

Thank you. That's funny because I have been debating switching to hard bags. I like these bags but as hard as I try not to, I scuff 'em up quite often swinging my leg over. Rookie move I guess. Ride safe.

Attached Thumbnails License Plate Bracket Help!!-imgp1372.jpg  

Last edited by rotorcrazy; 11-16-2008 at 09:57 PM.