Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalarts air horns???

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 10:46 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Terry, thanks for coming back and posting. The reason I asked the question, which bike you had, and which model horn you had, long or short, noting that each model has two different sized horns, a long and short one, was to clarify whether or not you had the recommended horn for your bike.

There's no excuse for the problems you had, especially the lack of resolution from MetalArts, and I hope they come back and make it right for you.

However, I still am curious which model you have. If you look at this pic of their trumpets, you'll see what I mean. There's a long trumpet model, and a short trumpet model, on their site they recommend the short trumpet one for the rubber mounted bikes like ours because of the vibration. So, I was wondering if they made this recommendation after seeing problems like yours on the longer model, or if you still bought the shorter model and still had problems, despite getting the recommended ones. There's no way to know *when* they started making or recommending the shorter horns, relative to when you purchased, so I just wanted to know which one you had...

Thanks again.

http://www.metalartsinc.com/motorcyc...00%20ls600.jpg

See how the one on the bottom has its longer trumpet is only about as long as the shorter trumpet on the top?

From their site: " We recommend short version for all FLH rubber mounted bikes because of vibration. Long trumpets for all Softails bikes and Sportsters ."

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder how those old Hogs in the 50s and 60s horns lasted so long.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:03 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

karz,
I bought it on e-bay and did speek to the seller and he said he would change his add which he hasn't and contact the manufacturer. He said he just put on the wording that is provided on the package. The relay is included to protect the horn button and wiring, and instructions are clear that on MC you need to install it with a 16 guage wire and 20 amp fuse which weren't included. I called Wolo today and he said he would let them know. He also said that most of them go for cars or trucks.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gmc
karz,
I bought it on e-bay and did speek to the seller and he said he would change his add which he hasn't and contact the manufacturer. He said he just put on the wording that is provided on the package. The relay is included to protect the horn button and wiring, and instructions are clear that on MC you need to install it with a 16 guage wire and 20 amp fuse which weren't included. I called Wolo today and he said he would let them know. He also said that most of them go for cars or trucks.
Wow, so not only is there an implication that it's plug and play, but the instructions tell you to install 16 gauge wire (incl?)and a relay that is NOT included? I could almost understand if they recommend this for certain installations and include the optional parts, but if people are marketing it for motorcycles and you have to go to a store and buy a relay and fuse, that would tick me off pretty good, if I didn't know about it ahead of time.

Thanks for the feedback. Too bad Harley doesn't use a thicker wire for the horn eh? Seems like it would save people a lot of trouble for upgrades.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:23 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by karz10
Wow, so not only is there an implication that it's plug and play, but the instructions tell you to install 16 gauge wire (incl?)and a relay that is NOT included? I could almost understand if they recommend this for certain installations and include the optional parts, but if people are marketing it for motorcycles and you have to go to a store and buy a relay and fuse, that would tick me off pretty good, if I didn't know about it ahead of time.

Thanks for the feedback. Too bad Harley doesn't use a thicker wire for the horn eh? Seems like it would save people a lot of trouble for upgrades.
The relay is included, guess they don't know how much wire you will need because people will mount them in different places, etc. It's a easy install but I did have to go get the fuse wire and xtra wire. I still think it is a pretty good deal though. They should be more clear but probable have thousands of these packaged. Hopefully they will correct in future.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:50 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by redultra02
Check out www.rivcoproducts.com
Loud air horns, good looking chrome and easy to install
+1 on the Rivcos.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:14 PM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Metalarts Flame short trumpet horn. Had it installed last year while at Myrtle Beach. It was an easy swap out. The only thing is that the bottom trumpet appears to be bent at a slightly downward angle. I wanted to bring this to Metalarts attention before the winter but forgot.
In any case.....It looks good and it sounds great.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 AM
TERRY1956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's been over a year since I have seen them but I think it was the CL model but I'm not sure. If their was a suggestion that the shorter horns would work better I guess I missed it.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:19 PM
TERRY1956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it took a year but Metal Arts finally sent me my horn back came by UPS today.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:43 PM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TERRY1956
Well it took a year but Metal Arts finally sent me my horn back came by UPS today.
Amazing. simply amazing.

Quick Reply: Metalarts air horns???