Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metalarts air horns???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,488 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by The Old Man
Well Guys ,
I got the Metal Arts horn for Christmas from the kids. It goes on easy as pie and is nice and loud. I want to warn you about one thing. Metal Arts claims 139 DB.....the horn inside the over sized cow bell is a Wollo (sp). It says on it 118 Db. Still loud as hell though. The horn itself can be had for about $55.+/- from JC whitney. The Cow bell is of high quality casting and chrome looks good, and is a perfect fit around the horn and the compressor. Mounts up well with no relays required. As far as the sound deffance, maybe they took the db reading really close. Maybe Wollo takes it at 20 ft away or some thing , who knows but overall I am satisfied with the horn.

Wolo measures from 4 feet hence the 118db. Stebel measures from 4 inches at 139db. They are they same horns made in Italy with different badges.

I have the Wolo & would love the Magnum cover only.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:33 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Rivco airhorns. They're pretty damn loud, but not as easy to install as the Metalarts.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:39 AM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the mini beast II sure looks nice.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:04 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the chrome BADBOY 519 and it is made by WOLO but you have to put a relay in on MC based on enclosed instructions but advertized as just plug in. No big deal, if I can do it anyone can. For $49.95 IMO it looks good and works great and spend the difference on other chromies.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:43 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So, I've been looking at a lot of these air horn threads, and some things confuse/concern me. I chose to post in this thread because of a couple specific posts...

First, the OP was The Old Man who asked a direct question to the metalarts poster, whether or not it's really a direct swap, or if a relay needs to be installed, etc., and the metalarts poster, who allegedly represents the company, gives an INdirect answer saying they make it easy to install and go to the website to get more info.

Now the OP comes back and says he got the WOLO horn inside the cow bell. How is it that it can direct wire and work w/out problem, if the horn inside is actually a wolo?

Since according to gmc, the wolo also advertises as being direct swap, but then comes w/ instructions to install a relay.

I've just found so many inconsistencies searching on this topic.

Then Terry 1956 posts a problem w/ a trumpet on his metalarts, where it allegedly has been 9 months where he's been w/out his trumpet on his horn, but metalarts doesn't come back and post and resolve or dispute the issue?

I've looked at bj's, howards horns, and many many links to various sites selling horns. On my 03 RKC, I thought the retro look of the metalarts short trumpets might look good on it, compared to all the other trumpets I've seen. But I'm concerned about two things:

-1 The cost vs value. For mid $200s, is it really plug an play? And if so, is the trumpet version a wolo or some other brand that claims on its direct units that it needs a relay? How is this accounted for?

-2 Short trumpets, will they hold up on my 03 RKC? Terry, did you have the long or short trumpets and on what kind of bike? I know you said the long trumpet broke, but that might mean the longer of the two trumpets, and not the model type. They recommend the short trumpets for the rubber mounted bikes like mine.

The Old Man, did you get the magnum w/ the bigger cowbell, or one of the trumpet types? I assume the magnum type based on your comments of the wolo...

gmc, did you ever contact the wolo company about the false claims regarding the need for a relay? or just install it w/ the relay and forget about it? I saw this advertised somewhere also for around $40-$50 and looks good for that money, but was concerned about the misleading statement about the need for a relay, if it is, or is not needed.

Thanks for any help here.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:23 AM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kind of strange is right....you would think metalarts would respond to something, maybe just not interested, just looking for an easy , no problem sale

Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 AM
The Old Man
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are so right about it being confusing. I did recieve it and it did come with a relay. It was stated in the directions I believe that the relay was was for custom or other application that were not HD. I did do a direct install, one nut and two wires and it works great. I did put some lock tight on the bolt treads and finding the took more time then the swap out. But if you saw my work bench you would under stand LOL. I got it with the Magnum cow bell. Looks good and the bell is a quality billet made of aluminum. Now you can buy the horn at JC Whitney for about 50 bucks but it won't have the custom bracket or the cow bell. I think that the total cost was 180.00 with shipping. The bling part of it makes it worth while to me. After all we spend more money on stupeder stuff don't we.

Originally Posted by karz10
So, I've been looking at a lot of these air horn threads, and some things confuse/concern me. I chose to post in this thread because of a couple specific posts...

First, the OP was The Old Man who asked a direct question to the metalarts poster, whether or not it's really a direct swap, or if a relay needs to be installed, etc., and the metalarts poster, who allegedly represents the company, gives an INdirect answer saying they make it easy to install and go to the website to get more info.

Now the OP comes back and says he got the WOLO horn inside the cow bell. How is it that it can direct wire and work w/out problem, if the horn inside is actually a wolo?

Since according to gmc, the wolo also advertises as being direct swap, but then comes w/ instructions to install a relay.

I've just found so many inconsistencies searching on this topic.

Then Terry 1956 posts a problem w/ a trumpet on his metalarts, where it allegedly has been 9 months where he's been w/out his trumpet on his horn, but metalarts doesn't come back and post and resolve or dispute the issue?

I've looked at bj's, howards horns, and many many links to various sites selling horns. On my 03 RKC, I thought the retro look of the metalarts short trumpets might look good on it, compared to all the other trumpets I've seen. But I'm concerned about two things:

-1 The cost vs value. For mid $200s, is it really plug an play? And if so, is the trumpet version a wolo or some other brand that claims on its direct units that it needs a relay? How is this accounted for?

-2 Short trumpets, will they hold up on my 03 RKC? Terry, did you have the long or short trumpets and on what kind of bike? I know you said the long trumpet broke, but that might mean the longer of the two trumpets, and not the model type. They recommend the short trumpets for the rubber mounted bikes like mine.

The Old Man, did you get the magnum w/ the bigger cowbell, or one of the trumpet types? I assume the magnum type based on your comments of the wolo...

gmc, did you ever contact the wolo company about the false claims regarding the need for a relay? or just install it w/ the relay and forget about it? I saw this advertised somewhere also for around $40-$50 and looks good for that money, but was concerned about the misleading statement about the need for a relay, if it is, or is not needed.

Thanks for any help here.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Relays are no big deal. I went with Howard's Hog Horn. Nice and loud!

Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased the Stoebel chrome air horn but the mounting point on the horn would never hold it on the bolt between the cylinders as gmc shows his "Bad Boy"mounted. You had to put the nut on the stud of the bike and then twist the horn around until the nut tightened up. The bracket of the horn was three-sided to slip over the nut. With the twisting to tighten it, it would invariably twist right off the stud so I was never able to mount it in it's original configuration.
Eventually, I took the horn apart and mounted the horn itself under the stock cowbell and mounted the compressor under the seat, behind the battery cover and ran an air line to the cowbell. It did require a relay due to the amps required to run the compressor. The horn has worked well for over a year and is very distinct though I did have to relocate the horn to the front of the frame due to the air line wearing through @ the motor mount between the cylinders.
All in all, I wasted the extra money for chrome since you can't see the horn under the cowbell and paying for the Stoebel (+-$80) was a waste compared to the same horn in black @ Harbor Freight for $30. The only difference being the Db rating being measured from two different distances.

If you just want the air horn and not the trumpets, the Beast or another that uses the same horn mounted in its own cover is the best bet for simplicity.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:28 AM
TERRY1956
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 03 electra glide classic that has a 95" kit and gear drive cams. My horns had one long trumpet and one short one. It was the long one that broke from the stress of the vibration I assume. I originally called Metal Arts to try to buy a replacement trumpet.
I talk to Les Brown who I believe to be the owner and told him my problem and he ask me to send it back to him and they would fix it and return it to me. That was February of 2008 and I did. I sent in the whole unit with the flame cover and have yet to get it back and it is now February 2009. I have called and talk to Les Brown 6 or 8 different times each time he promises to get them ship back to me but has yet to do so. But as far as the install mount the horn attache the two wires from original horns and awat you go.

Quick Reply: Metalarts air horns???