Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!

Due to a flaw that I noticed on my inner fairing when I picked up my new SG, the dealer is replacing the inner under warranty. I managed to talk them into letting me take the replacement innner to my painter before they swapped them out. So for $100, I am getting my inner fairing color matched. Sweet.

But my buddy, who owns an 08 duplicate of my bike cant stand me to one-up him, so he thought about taking his apart to get painted while mine was being done. He waffled about taking his baby apart, even after looking at the procedure in the service manual. However, his brother had no such qualms, so on saturday, the 3 of us set out to removing his inner fairing.

It took about one hour to get it all the way down, and ready for paint. We removed the headlight, and blinkers. I took the ignition apart and removed the inner fork cap (the part with the switches) while they took the windsheild, and outer faring off. All the wiring connecters inside the faring snapped apart with minimal fuss. The support rails came out, with just a little bother getting at the bolts on the side of the radio. About the worst part was getting the clutch lever apart to pull the cable out. My manual is for an 06, and the clutch lever is a bit different than they show.

The speakers and gauges came easily out after the inner was removed from the bike.

All parts, clips and fasteners went into labeled ziplock bags to eliminate confusion upon reassembly. All in all, a much easier procedure than I thought it would be. If you are seriouosly jonesing for a color matched inner, but you dont want to climb the mountain of doing the labor yourself, you should rethink that. With a couple helping hands and the service manual, its really a piece of cake.

Tim

Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been contemplating on doing mine with a little hesitation because of the unknown. Maybe I will tackle it this winter! Thanks for the encouragement.

Aaron

Old 11-12-2008, 10:53 AM
bazam9s
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cowracer..would've been great if you got some pics on the removal / install...I'm planning on this project this winter. Have met a guy on another forum who custom paints near me and said $100 also and I'm good to go. ...I'm hate working on electrical but it seems more like unplug-plug

Thanks for the push

Old 11-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

we took pictures, but I dont have the camera with me. Hopefully we will put it all together this weekend, and I'll snag the camera then.

Tim

Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you get it painted for $100. I thought the paint is that much? If anyone has some left over Fire Red Pearl and Black Pearl I would be interested if it's enough to do the inner fairing and the side covers.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd sure like to see the finished product, so post up some photos upon completion... Thx

Old 11-12-2008, 11:56 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Pics would be great. Thanks for the writeup.

Old 11-12-2008, 11:59 AM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is one of my winter projects. Having a painted inner fairing really sets off the bike from all of the rest.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

As bad as some of the HD instructions are with the accessories we buy, the instructions in the Service Manual for removing the inner fairing are good. Very straightforward, no special tools required (other than a T27 Torx to get the outer fairing off), and the only "electrical" involved is unplugging gauges, etc. For the money, it's the best cosmetic mod because you get to enjoy it while you ride.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a new take off 09 Roadglide fairing from Ebay which is out at the painters right now being painted gloss black. As soon as I get my new Khrome Works sweepers +2 shipped to me and have them powdercoated black along with all the necissary items, New Throttle grip sensor grips ,oil temp gauge kit, 40w fork oil for the 15k oil change it will be done to my 08 Roadglide. Hell Im thinking of powdercoating the console on top the gas tank black now

Cant wait to see the painted fairing installed

Last edited by FLTR2008TRIKE; 11-12-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!