Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 11:53 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by AaronOregon
I have been contemplating on doing mine with a little hesitation because of the unknown. Maybe I will tackle it this winter! Thanks for the encouragement.

Aaron
Aaron, How about a New Year's Eve special on your brace for those of us that missed out on the first one?

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny - this thread is right where I'm at now. I pulled and painted my inner/cap over the last week using Harley's rattle can Vivid Black.
I haven't used Lacquer paint for quite a few years and forgot how forgiving it is.
I've final wet sanded it with 2000 grit paper and now I'm polishing it out with Maquires #3 and #7. All I can say is wow! Can't wait to get it together now.
Been wanting to do this for years to match my CVO guages. Although now that I've seen Matrix Cycle Works gauge inserts I'm thinking about changing?
Anyway - I was hesitant too, but now I'm glad I did it!

Old 12-13-2008, 01:13 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow....I will tell you what, one thing leads to another on these projects! I decided to have the inner fairing painted, so if I'm gonna paint that I might as well paint a new rear fender extension to match the extended bags I have right, and get new pipes to match the hole size. And if I am going to tear the front end apart I might as well put new Cyclesmith bars on, powdercoat the lower fork legs black and get new chrome "cow bells". And if I'm gonna have all that bling I better stick new 18" wheels and tires in behind them, which requires new rotors and a flush mount axle kit. Well why put the fairing back on without going to an amplified antenna (because of having to remove the rear one for the new fender), and sticking a new Clearview windshield on. Now after all this..........I am the one you will see standing on the corner holding my sign up needing food!

Aaron

Old 12-13-2008, 01:41 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I bought a new take off 09 Roadglide fairing from Ebay which is out at the painters right now being painted gloss black. As soon as I get my new Khrome Works sweepers +2 shipped to me and have them powdercoated black along with all the necissary items, New Throttle grip sensor grips ,oil temp gauge kit, 40w fork oil for the 15k oil change it will be done to my 08 Roadglide. Hell Im thinking of powdercoating the console on top the gas tank black now

Cant wait to see the painted fairing installed

If you put 40W fork oil in there, the forks probably will not move much....What do I know!!!

You may want to go to 15W (SE Heavy) on a touring bike but that's just my opinion...

Old 12-13-2008, 03:21 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Any issues with getting the ignition back together? Stealer says its a bitch and wants 80 bucks just to change the lower cap. Anybody got pics on how to remove and replace ignition switch?
100_0356.jpg

Attached Thumbnails Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!-100_0356.jpg  
Old 12-13-2008, 03:57 PM
AaronOregon
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Super easy! Just leave it in 12 o'clock position, reach under at the 7 o'clock position and lift up on the little release pin and turn the actual key placed in the ignition to the left at the same time. It will pull straight out. Once out, don't mess with it and put it all back in, in reverse order.

Aaron

Old 12-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Funny - this thread is right where I'm at now. I pulled and painted my inner/cap over the last week using Harley's rattle can Vivid Black.
I haven't used Lacquer paint for quite a few years and forgot how forgiving it is.
I've final wet sanded it with 2000 grit paper and now I'm polishing it out with Maquires #3 and #7. All I can say is wow! Can't wait to get it together now.
Been wanting to do this for years to match my CVO guages. Although now that I've seen Matrix Cycle Works gauge inserts I'm thinking about changing?
Anyway - I was hesitant too, but now I'm glad I did it!
Hey Scorpion! I've got some Mequires #3 and #7 from when a guy painted my car a long time ago. I haven't been able to determine (I've long forgotten by now) if the #3 or the #7 is coarser grit. Can you help me with that? Didn't know which one to use first. Can't seem to feel it in my fingers. Thanks!
Jerry

Old 12-13-2008, 04:53 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by hdvrodsg
If you put 40W fork oil in there, the forks probably will not move much....What do I know!!!

You may want to go to 15W (SE Heavy) on a touring bike but that's just my opinion...
I already have Screamin Eagle racing fork oil since the black front end was installed new before I bought it. After 15k miles with a trike kit I have learned that the front end of a bike with a trike kit takes a lot more abuse then riding 2 wheels up. I want to try a heavier oil to see if the oil will last longer.
I do ride a little aggresively and put more stress on the front end.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:17 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Arron this is exactly what I am thinking. Except the food part.

Wow....I will tell you what, one thing leads to another on these projects! I decided to have the inner fairing painted, so if I'm gonna paint that I might as well paint a new rear fender extension to match the extended bags I have right, and get new pipes to match the hole size. And if I am going to tear the front end apart I might as well put new Cyclesmith bars on, powdercoat the lower fork legs black and get new chrome "cow bells". And if I'm gonna have all that bling I better stick new 18" wheels and tires in behind them, which requires new rotors and a flush mount axle kit. Well why put the fairing back on without going to an amplified antenna (because of having to remove the rear one for the new fender), and sticking a new Clearview windshield on. Now after all this..........I am the one you will see standing on the corner holding my sign up needing food!

Aaron

Old 12-13-2008, 05:34 PM
DamifIknow
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts

Super easy! Just leave it in 12 o'clock position, reach under at the 7 o'clock position and lift up on the little release pin and turn the actual key placed in the ignition to the left at the same time. It will pull straight out. Once out, don't mess with it and put it all back in, in reverse order.

Aaron
Thanks for the help. I'll try it next weekend..

Quick Reply: Painting inner fairing - Don't be Afraid!