Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 SG Solo Tour Pack w/ backrest

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 07:40 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 SG Solo Tour Pack w/ backrest

Hi All,

08 Street Glide, if I want to mount a king tour pack w/ backrest for solo riding, do I need to change to a solo seat, or can I mount the tour pack "on top" of the passenger pillion using stock 2up?

My plan is to use the backrest of the tour pack as a rider's backrest, is it feasible?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Solo seat only, at least that's what the HD catalog fitment info says at page 393.

As for using it as a backrest, I have and find it okay, but I don't ride with a rider backrest and the TP is off the bike 99% of the time. If you regularly use a rider backrest, you would find the TP backrest higher on your back, not at the small or lower portion of your back.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:28 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad you mention the backrest will be quite a bit higher. Oh well, there goes that project. Let see if I can come up with a plan B.....

Old 11-13-2008, 07:00 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Thumbs up

Not to dis Harleypingman... But...You give up too easily...!!! There have been a ton of threads on here about this subject.. IT IS POSSIBLE.. There are some slight mods to get it in the right place etc. But there are guys on here that have Beautiful setups.. And you can use you quick disconnect sissy bar/ backrest connection..

I still want to do that.. I have seen them before on HD_Forum members bikes and they look cool and function great..!!

Hang a bit and refresh if you need, someone who has done this will see your post and help you.. Good Luck..

The only thing that stands between a person
and what they WANT TO DO TO THEIR BIKE is the will to try it
and the faith to believe it possible!. --Unknown

Last edited by captsam54; 11-13-2008 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

+1 on the "don't give up" point. You can buy RK Standard solo seats on ebay for under $100 with the passenger pillion, and even less for the solo seat alone. That's what I have used for about 40K miles and will sortly replace because the embroidered "V" logo is showing wear.

As for the height of the backrest, it's not uncomfortable--just different and higher than the rider backrest.

Also, you can mount the TP w/o the backrest and use a Mustang solo seat with the Mustang backrest--I can't recall at the moment whose bike that is, but it's a black SG with a matching chopped TP--you could use a King TP the same way.

Here's a pic of my bike with the HD Road King Standard solo, HD detable TP rack, and box:

http://

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Forum member "iclick" has done this and did a write-up on it.
Either search his threads or PM him.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:49 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BadPiggy
Forum member "iclick" has done this and did a write-up on it.
Either search his threads or PM him.
AHH that's the best one I have seen.!!. Nice guy too.. very helpful.. I couldn't remember his handle/username..

Old 11-13-2008, 01:14 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by captsam54
AHH that's the best one I have seen.!!. Nice guy too.. very helpful.. I couldn't remember his handle/username..
Two years after completing that project the setup is still working very well. I noticed that Harleypingman has his solo seat backrest installed with the TP backrest, but that wouldn't work with my chopped TP with mustang backrest installed, as it pulled the TP backrest down to far which interferred with the seat backrest. I thought about modifying the TP backrest to fit, but decided the existing setup was quite good enough. Anyway, my earlier test revealed that it was too far forward for my taste anyway. As for modifying it, I also wasn't sure the lack of adjustment on the TP backrest wouldn't cause problems, but Harleypingman could answer that for his setup using the King TP.

For anyone else interested, here is the link to that write-up.

As you noticed in my write-up I had to modify the rack so the TP could be moved back 1¼", as otherwise the backrest adjustment screw was too close to the TP and would make contact at times.

Last edited by iclick; 11-13-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:42 PM
captsam54
Road Master

iclick... Ha.. I knew you would see it.. thanks.. now there is also George Anderson.. I believe his name is.. who makes the adjustable rack that makes it all work correctly.. (George is not on the HD_Forum but there are posts about his rack and where bto get it..)..

3/4 life crisis.. that should be what you need..

Last edited by captsam54; 11-13-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:33 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Thank you very much for all your replies and ideas. My goal is trying to keep the stock 2 up seat, AND mount the TP as rider's back rest.

Even though I ride solo all the time, I can send my stock 2 up seat to Allen (MeanCity Cycle) to have it modify. But looks like I need to buy a solo seat before I can even mount the TP right up against the rider seat back anyway. That what I meant by plan B.

Happy rides and safe travels to all.

Quick Reply: 08 SG Solo Tour Pack w/ backrest