Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firstgear mesh jackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Trek
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firstgear mesh jackets

There are about a zillion threads about comparing jackets and I wanted to narrow the field abit, if that is ok.

I leaning towards a Firstgear mesh jacket to wear during extremely hot weather as the Ultra does not lend itself to cooling a rider. . too much fairing for those days I guess.

Anyone have a better suggestion?

Anyone have experience with Firstgear clothing?

My leather coat (expensive FX>> Harley jacket looks great, feels great, too dang hot once it gets to about 85 degrees. Doesn't flow enough air for me or my wife. And the Nylon feels safe enough with the body armor and heavy fabric, but it is not much better in hot weather, though it is a lot lighter than the leather jacket.

Thanks for your input and ideas

Old 11-11-2008, 10:16 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had other First Gear clothing, all "first rate" stuff. I've got one of the older Kilimanjaro jackets for cold weather riding. Do not feel cold clear into the twenties with just a polo shirt on, and it's water proof too. So, if their mesh jackets keep you cool as well as their cold weather jackets keep you warm.........

You gotta be east of the mountains eh? I'm on the coast and it gets in the eighties maybe two, three days a year if we're lucky!

Last edited by tima; 11-11-2008 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 PM
jlelliott
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Firstgear makes quality clothing. Through the years I have occasionally attempted to thin out my riding gear but I always seem to end up keeping every Firstgear item I have ever bought.
Their Mesh jackets are very comfortable and well built. The adjustable fairing wind deflectors on the 08 model FLHT actually do a decent job of directing air up onto the driver making the mesh jacket pretty functional.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by jlelliott
Firstgear makes quality clothing. Through the years I have occasionally attempted to thin out my riding gear but I always seem to end up keeping every Firstgear item I have ever bought.
Their Mesh jackets are very comfortable and well built. The adjustable fairing wind deflectors on the 08 model FLHT actually do a decent job of directing air up onto the driver making the mesh jacket pretty functional.
Would you say that you would be reasonably comfortable in their mesh jacket and a tee-shirt? As in: cooler in the mesh jacket and tee-shirt than no jacket and a tee-shirt?

Old 11-11-2008, 11:57 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Trek, I have a pair of Firstgear overpants and really like them. I'm a pretty big guy and their overpants are available in larger sizes. Really well made and thoughtful details.

I haven't tried their jackets yet, but I would expect them to be of equally high quality. I have an Olympia mesh jacket and really like it - the mesh jackets work really well as long as you keep moving, and I'm a big fan of the armored textile clothing in general. I wear my leather jacket fairly often, but for touring I reach for textile - more versatile, and I think the ballistic nylon with armor offers at least equal protection as leather, perhaps more.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 PM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by tima
I've had other First Gear clothing, all "first rate" stuff. I've got one of the older Kilimanjaro jackets for cold weather riding. Do not feel cold clear into the twenties with just a polo shirt on, and it's water proof too. So, if their mesh jackets keep you cool as well as their cold weather jackets keep you warm.........

You gotta be east of the mountains eh? I'm on the coast and it gets in the eighties maybe two, three days a year if we're lucky!

Yeah, I live in Spokane Valley. . .not to warm now. . .and raining. . .dang it. .

We tour a lot in the mid and southwest. I had a friend slay a deer with his brand new ultra and were it not for the leathers he had on, he would be quite dead. None of the other 7 riders in the group were wearing any protective gear, just atee shirt, jeans.

So, now we are all trying to be better about wearing gear, but when it gets above 90 it is a real challenge. . heat stroke seems to be a real concern. . . .

Old 11-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Trek
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pastor John
Trek, I have a pair of Firstgear overpants and really like them. I'm a pretty big guy and their overpants are available in larger sizes. Really well made and thoughtful details.

I haven't tried their jackets yet, but I would expect them to be of equally high quality. I have an Olympia mesh jacket and really like it - the mesh jackets work really well as long as you keep moving, and I'm a big fan of the armored textile clothing in general. I wear my leather jacket fairly often, but for touring I reach for textile - more versatile, and I think the ballistic nylon with armor offers at least equal protection as leather, perhaps more.
Thanks. I wanted to try the Firstgear as it is sold locally and I am trying to support the local thread shop and it is what they suggest picking up. THe reviews I looked at made me think that Oylmpia would be a great choice. . just no one around here as 'em in stock. Maybe they can order it though if you think it would be a better jacket pick? What ya' think?

Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM
DrE
Advanced

I have a mesh jacket made by Power Trip that also has removable armour in elbows, shoulders, and back and I have been comfortable on my Ultra into the mid 90's with high humidity...as long as I was moving. BTW I have the adjustable deflectors and they made a BIG difference when I redirected the airflow into me.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:20 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the summer on the dry side. I use a Tour Master Flex jacket. It has a total of 4 layers and works quite well. Totally stripped it has just mesh and armor. The hottest day I have ever ridden was between Victorville and Baker California. I soaked my t-shirt and wore it under the Flex jacket and was cool until it dried. It also has a quilted and rain liner when needed.

spiz

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Trek, I don't have any experience with the Firstgear jackets, but I am a big fan of buying locally even if I need to spend a few dollars more. My comparison would be "apples to oranges", but I consider the Firstgear pants to be of the same quality as the Olympia jacket, and if you like the jacket that is in your local store, I can't see where you could go wrong.

Quick Reply: Firstgear mesh jackets