Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boy did I get hosed tonight!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Boy did I get hosed tonight!!

My wife and I took a short ride on our new 2009 Ultra with 20 miles on it tonight. We went the long way around a large block and came to a red light and pulled into the left turn lane. The light turned green and traffic on our side preceded through the intersection. I looked up and my left turn light was black it had two lens and neither was lit. The oncoming cars just sat there. I look at the light again and think maybe the turn arrow is burnt out.

The only oncoming traffic was two cars one behind the other in the oncoming right or curb lane and they were just sitting there. I waited (according to an independent witness) 45 seconds and then heard a horn blow. I thought the oncoming car blew its horn and was disabled. I pull into the intersection and begin to turn left into the first lane as I leaned into it the first car pulled forward. I hit the horn righted the bike and stopped. The car a Chevy HHR kept coming so I tried to turn to my right and ran out of time.

As I'm standing there with both feet on the ground she hits my front fender a glancing blow. I was sitting at about a 45 degree angle nosed into her lane. She never swerved or even stopped until she was out of the intersection. I couldn't hold the bike up even though it was a soft hit and I gently laid it down on the crash bar on the right side. I sent my wife to the curb off the road. After talking to the occupants of the other vehicle I discover she's test driving the HHR with a salesman and I think they're talking at the light and don't notice it turn green. They continue to talk and the lady behind them blows her horn. The driver apparently looks in the rear view mirror and takes off without looking forward or she might have noticed me. She said she felt something but didn't see us or stop until the salesman was yelling at her to stop. Yeah, they drive among us.

Thank God nobody was hurt and I picked up my bike and moved it to the side of the road. A paramedic crew was passing by and stopped to check on us and then then police came. The policeman interviewed the witness and then gathered our licensees. After an eternity the officer walked up and presented me a ticket for failing to yield making a left turn. I asked if he wanted to hear my side and he said no he had an independent witness. I heard the other lady driver going off about not being able to drive home because she was driving on a suspended license.

I figured I would get it for turning left but I really thought under the circumstances I wouldn't be sited. I wonder how long you're expected to sit and wait in a situation like that? One light cycle maybe two? If she was broke down would I have to wait until she was towed away? I'm looking at the bright side, nobody hurt, light damage to the bike, salesman said just a rub on his paint and he's not wanting anything. We'll see how that goes! I hope my lesson helps someone else if you're ever in this situation.

Jim

Attached Thumbnails Boy did I get hosed tonight!!-415215147_p4i4j-s.jpg  
Old 11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry Man. Sounds like you're not letting it get you too down. Glad you and the Mrs. are both OK. The bike will be fixed and just as handsome as the day you bought it.

Many days of fun and safe rides lie ahead.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:22 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Glad it worked out for you and your Mrs with no injuries. I am also glad for the dumb **** that hit you that it wasn't someone else with a hot temper she hit because a helmet smashed through a side window can really cut up a pretty face..........

Last edited by hogdad; 11-11-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
acbobber
Cruiser

hey hognut........you think like I do. What a stupid bithc

Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Good news is those bumpers are like 50 bucks on ebay. Didn't you just pick that bike up like a day ago or something? Wow... glad you guys are ok.

Go to court and present your case to the Judge. He'll probably drop it.

Some of these comments though...

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-11-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM
geedee
Advanced

Glad to hear you and the wife are ok...Never take anything for granted...And whenever I do get someone behind me that blows their horn, I never move...if they have a problem with me being safe, hell go around....

Old 11-11-2008, 08:03 PM
acbobber
Cruiser

lp...I understand my comments may be harsh...but she kept on driving, I have no use for hit and run buttholes. My buddy got nailed this summer on his bike and the driver kept on going. A hitch-hiker who was riding with him talked him in to turing around. A hitch-hiker for gods sake!!!!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fight that citation! No way it will stick because the cop didn't see a damn thing. I don't know if you know this or not, but the party that gets the ticket is always found at fault by the insurance co., even your own. You were stopped when hit, that makes it the other drivers fault, period. You might want to get hold of the car dealer also as your witness. I would of told that cop to go have another donut, what a jerkoff.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wish I could think I would hold my cool as well as you make it sound you did. They would have taken me to jail for assult. Glad you both OK.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

You and the Mrs. walked away, so you had a good day. Anything else pales in comparison to that. I know the bike is brandy new but the damage is minor. Hug the wife and count your blessings..

Quick Reply: Boy did I get hosed tonight!!