Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Touring Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 PM
tommyj
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Touring Mufflers

I have an opportunity to buy a set of Harley Touring Mufflers that are listed in the accessory catalog under part number 65259-00. My questions are: are these mufflers any different from stock mufflers? ie, less restrictive. free flowing, louder, etc??? Will they fit an 09 Ultra? I have an 09 ultra and want just a little louder sound and a bit less restrictive. Thanks.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 02. is to save your money until you decide on a full stage 1 upgrade. You'll hear plenty of opinions and threads on this subject so I'd go to the search mode and read away.

The bottom line is that there are lots of options and opinions and most everyone will tell you that what they bought is the best. So put in the due diligence, try to physically see and listen to the different set-up's, and then go with whatever floats your boat.

The "cool" thing is that we're coming into Winter so you have some "Cool" time to make a decision. In the meanwhile you can have a blast with the stock set-up while you're deciding.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:57 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them on my 97 Road King and have read that they will inprove performance and have a little more rumble than stock pipes. They're not free flowing, may inprove performance slightly and have very little rumble over stock. I suggest you check out Fuelmoto for their Jackpot/ Rush modification or check out the new Vance & Hines Monster Ovals if you want a little more perfomance and rumble.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:06 PM
hdrider07
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tommyj
I have put on the Rush mufflers with the PCIII and stage 1 air intake with K&N filter. The Rush mufflers with 1.75 baffles are nice. They are a bit louder than stock but when you hit the throttle they will bark at you. I got my items at fuelmoto.com and talk to Jammie. If you are even in the Nashville area and what to hear them look me up and we can meet.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:07 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought an 09 Ultra too, in the same boat you're in. Just want a little more sound and preformance. The stealer told me no aftermarket pipes without their approval or I'll void the warranty?? Said you can burn the motor by leaning it out without proper backpressure and or tuning. I was told by another dealer that I could run any slip-on as long as I don't mess with the header system due to the o2 set-up in the header. I traded an 04 ultra with a stage one download and modified screaming eagle pipes on V/H true duals and loved the sound. So, somebody please give us 09 guys some straight poop.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They're about a 1\2 step louder then OEM

Old 11-11-2008, 08:32 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Touring mufflers are not much louder, just are built a little better with changable end caps. They are not flow through. Don't waste your money, go with a V&H basic, nice sound not too loud, they have them for the 09's with out the cats.

2. Dealer is full of BS!!!!!!!

3. The new engine managment system corrects itself to maintain the 14.1 FA ratio, you can go with tru-duals, different pipes and a K&N without hurting anything. The older bikes would run lean if you changed the exhaust or air cleaner, the new bikes run lean, and maintain the FA ratio, unless you go with a SERT or PClll.

4. Dealer is full of BS!!!!!

Last......DEALER IS FULL OF BS!!!

Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteveO
3. The new engine managment system corrects itself to maintain the 14.1 FA ratio, you can go with tru-duals, different pipes and a K&N without hurting anything.
It would be more like 14.6:1 AFR, depending on the closed-loop bias settings, but for stock that's probably about right.

If you'd take the time to download the software for the last SERT H-D sold (you should be able to readily find it on the Internet) and inspected the base-tune maps for the different-type exhaust systems, you'd see that there's no way you'd want to change from the stock "touring" exhaust to a "true dual" type without addressing the EFI programming. No way I would, at any rate.

The freer-flowing intake assembly is a whole 'nother can of worms and I would never make that change without addressing the EFI programming, either. To combine those two modifications without EFI changes would be just plain nuts. But go ahead if you want to. I reserve the right to never buy a used bike without knowing first-hand its complete history.