Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner vs. Mean City Mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Conehead
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sundowner vs. Mean City Mod

Anybody have a Sundowner on their 09? Trying to decide to buy the sundowner or send the stock seat to Allen. I really need to move down a bit so I can be flatfooted, I know MCC can fix it but not sure about the Sundowner. Any opinions between the two?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Conehead
Anybody have a Sundowner on their 09? Trying to decide to buy the sundowner or send the stock seat to Allen. I really need to move down a bit so I can be flatfooted, I know MCC can fix it but not sure about the Sundowner. Any opinions between the two?
The 09 seats are designed totally different from previous years. When you take the seat off you can see from the bottom of the seat that it has risers molded in it now. What this does is raise the seat pan height. My thoughts of why this was done is to save money. The old seats up to 08 had 4"s of foam and some had more. The new seats have 2"s and a few have 2 1/2-3"s of foam in them at the thickest point. So going lower is really tough. We just worked on a 09 Roadie seat this week and with the memory foam modification we were able to lower the ride height 1". The other issue with the 09 seats is the width. They are 1/2" wider than the 08 seats which are 1/2"s wider than the 06 and older so if your coming off a 06 or older the seat is 1" wider. I don't know who designs HD's seats but they really suck at it imo.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

I got an 09 RKC with the Sundowner 2-up seat. The problem is that I never rode it with the stock seat. I had them install the Sundowner before I took deliver of it. What I can tell you is that I have a 20-30" inseam, and I can very easily flat-foot it. And the seat is very comfortable. And the passenger pillion (the reason we got the seat) is alot wider than the stock one.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:03 PM
russl179
Road Warrior

No offense intended, but you would be crazy to spend $300 on a Sundowner when Allen can give you the best seat for about 1/2 the cost. Why pay more for less quality? MCC rocks. We spend zillions to customize our bikes to the way we want them, let Allen customize a seat for you. I wish I could give this guy more business....I am that impressed with his character, professionalism, and skill.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:05 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The point of cost for Sundownere Vs MCC mod is a good one, but we all know that when it comes to bikes, logic and good financial sense sometimes go out the window.
I sat on several 09 Ultras with the stock seat, including the one that I bought. I could touch the floor with my toes while sitting or get flatfooted by standing. I put the Sundowner Deep Bucket on the bike before leaving the dealer, and I was comfortably flatfooted sitting. It probably made about a one inch difference in seat height. And I like the Sundowner enough that I doubt I'll do anything more to it.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by russl179
No offense intended, but you would be crazy to spend $300 on a Sundowner when Allen can give you the best seat for about 1/2 the cost. Why pay more for less quality? MCC rocks. We spend zillions to customize our bikes to the way we want them, let Allen customize a seat for you. I wish I could give this guy more business....I am that impressed with his character, professionalism, and skill.
You obviously didnt read Allen's post 2 above you

Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 PM
cowboybob56
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by BadX
The 09 seats are designed totally different from previous years. When you take the seat off you can see from the bottom of the seat that it has risers molded in it now. What this does is raise the seat pan height. My thoughts of why this was done is to save money. The old seats up to 08 had 4"s of foam and some had more. The new seats have 2"s and a few have 2 1/2-3"s of foam in them at the thickest point. So going lower is really tough. We just worked on a 09 Roadie seat this week and with the memory foam modification we were able to lower the ride height 1". The other issue with the 09 seats is the width. They are 1/2" wider than the 08 seats which are 1/2"s wider than the 06 and older so if your coming off a 06 or older the seat is 1" wider. I don't know who designs HD's seats but they really suck at it imo.
Can the aforementioned "post" be cut out, or are the owners of 09 and later doomed to extremely expensive seats to get a comfortable ride? Is this the reason behind MCC now doing aftermarket seats. My Original E'glide 07 MCC altered seat is worth the cost of any of the aftermarket seats available.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Conehead
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BadX
Allen, Can anything be done about the width, it stands to reason if you can lower it and shave some off of the sides one may be able to get flatfooted.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:32 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that MCC did my seat on my 08 and while they left the position mostly stock the seat is much more comfortable now. Not to mention the heated seat is awesome!

Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 AM
roadking1893
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get flatfooted on my 07 RKC I switch shocks at times i still had to be on my toes. this is because the stock force me to be all the way back on the seat, I sent my seat to MCC for the memory foam and move me forward and lower an inch. WOW what a diff now I am where I need to be on my bike the moment I get on it. Even more while I am riding I don't hunt around on the seat to fine a sweet spot. I highly recommend sending them your seat and see what they can do to customize it to your frame.

Quick Reply: Sundowner vs. Mean City Mod