Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackets

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
tuxster
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jackets

After ordering a SG for spring delivery I went looking for my old riding gear. It's been a while since I last rode, my daughter is 14, yup thats about how long ago since I last saw my motorcycle jacket and boots. Ok they probably would not fit anyway, being I am more muscular or is that just molson muscle?
A lot has changed since I rode last. I now see kevlar on the list of materials on some stuff. My question is, should I be looking for a tried and true leather jacket or one of these space age types that offer waterproof, windproof kevlar protection?

What do you have?

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser
Default re

I have one of the tour master mesh jackets, it comes with a waterproof/windproof liner and a quilted liner. zip in both and you are toasty warm. Use just the jacket when it is warm enough. I like it because it has reflective piping on the sleeves and a reflective triangle on the back. I feel comfortable riding in it. Does it look "Harley" no, but it makes me feel good and visible.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:05 PM
itileman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a fabric HD Switchback jacket which is great for summer, especially here where it's hotter than hell during the day and drops into the 50's and 40's at night.
Sucks for cold weather. The FXRG jacket is top shelf but spendy. I also have an Alpine stars leather jacket with armor and it has some kevlar panels. Not so good for cold, though. Likewise with my kevlar chaps.
You're north of me, so I'd advise leather with a liner and some form of neck collar. If you don't want armor, from what I've read here and other places, Fox Creek is about the best for the $. Get good raingear for over it.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:56 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

It's almost impossible to stop with just one jacket given the wide range of weather conditions. My current rack consists of...

- HD Legends leather jacket (mid-weight; good to the 50's)
- Olympia AST textile jacket (waterproof, liner, 3/4 length, for touring)
- Olympia Mesh textile jacket (good for hot weather, two liners, waterproof, short length)
- Gerbing's Heated Jacket Liner (cold weather, electric)
- HD jean jacket (seldom wear, good for... ?)
- HD Overpass rain jacket and trousers (good waterproof, lightweight, good for summer)
- Firstgear textile overpants (waterproof, armored, quilted liner for winter)

So have a ball! You'll find that there are a lot of choices!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
sherman1125
Intermediate

Fox Creek Leather.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:06 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you fit into the same stuff you did 14 yrs ago you sir are an anomaly. I don't fit into last years clothes.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:07 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned

Originally Posted by tuxster
After ordering a SG for spring delivery I went looking for my old riding gear. It's been a while since I last rode, my daughter is 14, yup thats about how long ago since I last saw my motorcycle jacket and boots. Ok they probably would not fit anyway, being I am more muscular or is that just molson muscle?
A lot has changed since I rode last. I now see kevlar on the list of materials on some stuff. My question is, should I be looking for a tried and true leather jacket or one of these space age types that offer waterproof, windproof kevlar protection?

What do you have?
How about waterproof high quality leather check out Hugger.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:30 AM
HoggerCom
Intermediate

Schott 141, hands down, my favorite. Not too much "attitude", but still bad ***, fits like a glove, very heavy but buttery soft, American made, looks great even when around town without the bike, zip in lining for cold weather riding, and it will probably outlive you.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
tuxster
Intermediate
Default Kevlar?

I went to the dealer and tried on a FXRG leather. This is one heavy jacket and price is a little steep.

This kevlar sounds light and strong. Does anyone have one?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

like PJ said you will need a multitude of jackets

I have the following

1. the leather orange and black HD perforated jacket -- good for mild to warm not good for cold weather under 50 -- it does have a lining

2. nylon HD jacket which is surprisingly(sp) warm good for cold or warm

3. leather shirt which is good for cold days when the sun is shining

4. very heavy leather jacket which is only good for the coldest of weather

Quick Reply: Jackets