Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 RG headlight bezel

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008 | 05:01 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master
Question 09 RG headlight bezel

I read on here last night where a guy ordered an 09 CVO bezel to replace his clear lense cover on his 08 RG. Lookin at my non-CVO 09 RG it appears to have a bezel behind the clear cover. I can't figure out xactly how to get this clear one off to get a better look behind it. I know his looked real good without the clear cover and I would like to go that route. Can I get some info on removing it. I understand that I don't have the hardened light lenses but figure "I'll buy it when it gets busted". Thanks.

Old 11-10-2008 | 06:33 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

ok ya'll. the CVO thread i mentioned states that the cover jus pops off. BS. I've been out in da shop pullin, squeezin and cussin and it hadn't done anything but wiggle. Help?

Old 11-10-2008 | 06:58 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

I have found that I can remove my cover without tools. There are four tabs (two top, two bottom) on the lens cover that fit into slots in the fairing. To remove the cover, stand in front of the bike and place all four fingers of each hand under the "lip" of the cover where it joins the bottom of the fairing, and pry upward, bending the bottom of the cover until the bottom tabs pop out of the slots in the fairing. The pull the cover gently and slowly from the fairing allowing the top tabs of the cover to pop out of the slots on the fairing at the top of the cover. The cover won't break, so you can distort it slightly to help it out. Replace the cover by inserting the tabs at the top into the slots in the fairing and then snapping the lower tabs into their associated slots with a gentle tap with your fist.

After you've done it once, you'll see how it fits together.

Old 11-10-2008 | 07:11 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Pastor John
I have found that I can remove my cover without tools. There are four tabs (two top, two bottom) on the lens cover that fit into slots in the fairing. To remove the cover, stand in front of the bike and place all four fingers of each hand under the "lip" of the cover where it joins the bottom of the fairing, and pry upward, bending the bottom of the cover until the bottom tabs pop out of the slots in the fairing.

After you've done it once, you'll see how it fits together.
Dude!!! I still have indentions in my fingers and it didn't budge. I did get the whole fairing to flex upwards though. I'm only 165lbs. so I guess I'm just not man enough. Is there a tool for this?

Old 11-10-2008 | 07:24 PM
07yellowglide
Road Warrior

if your still trying....I have used a very thin screw driver wrapped in a cloth so it didn't scatch the paint and used it to loosen the top part of the plastic around the insert area.....push down on the tab until you see some movement then go to the other side and lossen the other tab on top..........the first time is the worst I think they have some kind of glue or sealent also holding it in place....

Old 11-10-2008 | 07:42 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

"yellowglide", glue. yes it seems it's glued. I hate to have to use a screwdriver but I'll give it a shot.(with cloth)

Old 11-10-2008 | 07:57 PM
07yellowglide
Road Warrior

I think it is some kind of clear sealant........just look on the top of the lense and you should see the tabs (2) on top...2 on bottom.........located about 1.5 inches from each edges.....
work the screwdriver in on the tabs and press down and work your hand on the edge and try to pull out.....if you see movement go to work on the other side.......after the first time they pop out pretty easilly after that.................

good luck

Old 11-10-2008 | 08:05 PM
FLoTR
|
Road Master

Thank YG. I'll try it 2morrow. gotta watch 2.5 men

Old 11-10-2008 | 09:32 PM
LPFRAY
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gtad1
ok ya'll. the CVO thread i mentioned states that the cover jus pops off. BS. I've been out in da shop pullin, squeezin and cussin and it hadn't done anything but wiggle. Help?
HEADLAMP: FLTR 7.12
HEADLAMP ASSEMBLY
Removal
1. Remove outer fairing. See 2.41 UPPER FAIRING AND
WINDSHIELD: FLTR.
2. Move outer fairing assembly to bench area.
3. Remove headlamp harness connectors.
NOTE
Wrap electrical tape around blade of screwdriver to prevent
damage to tabs of transparent lens cover.
4. From inboard side of outer fairing, release top of transparent
lens cover from slots in fairing by gently depressing
two tabs with blade of screwdriver. Depress two bottom
tabs and remove lens cover from fairing.

Also you can just do the screwdriver trick from the outside as well, just slide it into a slot, never notice any glue

From the 09 Service manual