Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra classic owner finally tries gw

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM
c50plus
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ultra classic owner finally tries gw

To give you a good perspective I will start by saying that I was a Honda (VTX) owner
prior to owning my Ultra Classic. It took a bit of courage to switch to the dark side but I have not regreted it and I am in love with my 08 Ultra. However, I kept wondering if I should have test driven a Gold Wing.

Friday night I was hanging out at my motorcycle club ( 50% GW owners and 50% HD owners)
A lot of folks were admiring my bike ( I wonder why? ) . I proceeded to explain all the technology my Ultra has to a guy who was very interested but another guy kept saying his GW has the same thing in a mucking way everytime I mentioned a feature in my Ultra. I finally turned around and told him I do not give a rats about what anyone else rides. He proceeded to invite me to ride his GW and I accepted the invitation. His GW owner friends sorrounded me and said be careful after this you may one to won one.

What did I think. Wow, wow, wow. I am so happy I got a HD Ultra Classic. The GW really disappointed me in every way and I used to be a Honda guy ( I still like the VTX ) . The GW rode like a Toyota Corolla but even worse it also sounded like a Toyota. I think a Corolla would be more fun to drive.

In the past I could not understand why so many folks rode HD if they were so bad. Now that I am an HD owner I know why we choose this brand. I am not even going to try to explain it. You know all the reasons. I will never again hesitate and wonder if I should have gone Goldwing.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also came off a VTX. I test rode a Goldwing as I always thought I'd end up on one some day.

Well the comfort on the GW just didn't cut it for me. My legs were cramped and my knees were killing me in just the short 20 minute ride I had.

The bike was very smooth, handled great, and had power but the comfort factor was not there for me.

I know I made the right choice getting my Ultra.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:27 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honda makes good cars. Other than that I was taught if you don't have anything nice to say............

Old 11-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by wassup8687
I also came off a VTX. I test rode a Goldwing as I always thought I'd end up on one some day.

Well the comfort on the GW just didn't cut it for me. My legs were cramped and my knees were killing me in just the short 20 minute ride I had.

The bike was very smooth, handled great, and had power but the comfort factor was not there for me.
I came to the same conclusion after riding GL1800 for five years. Knees cramped and the seat was too shallow and not dished right at all. I couldn't get comfortable. I was considering getting a custom seat but they run over $1,000 and I was afraid of throwing good money after bad. Windshield buffeting for me and my passenger was a problem inspite of different windshield heights. The motor makes awesome power though.

But there was something else. I know is sounds dumb, but sometimes I'll just sit (beer in hand) and study a motorcycle parked in my garage. I find the Harleys, Airhead BMW's, and some others visually interesting. The plastic covered Goldwing wasn't one of them, it was just a bike.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Thx, I have sat on one and felt same way comfort wise, would like to test ride one, but for some reason the Honda people wont let me do it, maybe something about me pulling up on a Harley but I really dont think they let anyone test ride them. Strange

Old 11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Old Gray Beard
Cruiser

Two very different animals but for what it's worth even my fat ragged old butt looks good on a glide
And the in itself is enough reason for me to ride the glide lol

Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Javawave
Tourer

I test rode one. They are nice bikes. I like the styling of my Ultra better. I will give the wing the edge on the engine. the 1800 is a power monster. I am happy with the Ultra. I think I made the right choice.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:14 PM
spizzyman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gold Wings are great bikes and there is no need to bash them. They are getting dated in this current config due to production moving to Japan next year. I imagine the 2010 design should intro some new stuff and that should be interesting but I am just getting my 03 broken in and won't be in the market for a new bike until HD completely redesigns the Ultra and all the 09 owners race to trade them in. LOL.

spiz

Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
hotshot
Tourer

Thank goodness for a Honda dealer that were jerks, or I might have bought a GW.... instead I went to Horn Lake and rode the Demo Team Bikes.... fell in love with the Harleys, especially the Road Glide, Street Glide and the Ultra. The wife wanted the Ultra, she got what she wanted and I did too.

I have very good friends that ride GW's and love them. I had one in the 90's and it was a good bike, but the Harley just handles much better, especially at slow speeds.
The GW does have it over the Ultra on power, but who really needs more power? Mine goes faster than it should.

I'm happy with my choice.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Ok you weenies...! I own 1 of each; an 05 GW and an 06 UC ( confession time!). What do i love? GW - smooth, power (love to crack that throttle and fly), great comfort on long mileage days, 500+ mile stuff. By the way, i'm 5'6" tall and i know comfort is relative!!!
UC - it's a Harley. I like the sound of acceleration, i like the "feel" of the Harley, i like the classic Americana of Harley, i love the HOG, dealer network and HOG activities.
My wife says that the GW is like riding a nice family sedan and the HD is like riding a tractor!
But, in my dreams i ride a Harley!
God Bless our Vets!

love you Jim Carothers, you're a great American and a great Marine!! God Bless---AB Class of 99 NSMC

Quick Reply: Ultra classic owner finally tries gw