Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra classic owner finally tries gw

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 PM
REALBOB
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too just had a VTX 1800 for my last bike; before that two GW's. They are all power monsters and good bikes. I was tired of the VTX because for 5 years all I did was to ad custom mods to the bike. It was rare that I was able to enjoy the raw power of these bikes. This is why I was so disappointed in the power of the UC. OTOH, the ergonomics of the UC as well as the slow speed handling won me over and, the accessories of course.

08 FLHTCU black on white pearl

Old 11-10-2008, 10:36 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spizzyman
Gold Wings are great bikes and there is no need to bash them. They are getting dated in this current config due to production moving to Japan next year. I imagine the 2010 design should intro some new stuff and that should be interesting but I am just getting my 03 broken in and won't be in the market for a new bike until HD completely redesigns the Ultra and all the 09 owners race to trade them in. LOL.

spiz
Uh, I don't see me trading mine in for quite some time. Guess you haven't ridden one yet eh? There is a big difference but what do I care what you think??? I'm as happy as a guy on a new '09 can be!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:49 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

I owned an 84 Aspencade (Goldwing's Ultra) for ten years. I rode it on long hauls, short hauls, commuted to work. Some weeks I never drove my car.Yet in all that time, the only thing I could add to the bike was a couple of plastic GW emblems on the rear of the saddlebags. I put 143000 miles on it. It had the 1200 cc engine and had good power. I crashed that bike into a idiot who decided to do a u turn from an offramp back onto the on ramp. Didn't ride again for seven years. It had been over 20 years since I last owned a Harley ( a 1979 Electra Glide).

In 2001, summer, I decided I missed riding and visited a HD dealer in Rosemead, CA, and bought a 99 Electra Glide Standard. The very moment I started it up, climbed aboard, and rode out onto the street, I felt like I had come home at last. Three weeks later, we bought a 2002 Ultra and the old feelings of euphoria when riding became daily events.

I think there are Harley riders, born to ride a Harley, and the others who haven't yet tried one. I ride with a Nomad owner who had a 93 Ultra. He still misses it.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

I've owned 21 Harleys and 4 Goldwings over my riding days....
have a 07 EGC and a 07 GW Trike now....the trike is the "OUR" bike and the EGC is the "ME" bike....
Yeah the wing does have gobbs of power and is smooth as a baby's butt....but I'm even cramped on the wing. kills my knees and hip...but gotta keep momma happy, she loves the trike, but she also said she would like a UC trike just as well.....
me, HD guy, through and through....something about them old paint shakers....love the lines, looks, paint, chrome etc......well crap, you all know this stuff.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:31 PM
spizzyman
Road Master

Originally Posted by tima
Uh, I don't see me trading mine in for quite some time. Guess you haven't ridden one yet eh? There is a big difference but what do I care what you think??? I'm as happy as a guy on a new '09 can be!
Wow, guess I didn't see that comin. My statement was about future improvements, not anything negative about 09 owners. BTW, I have ridden an 09. It was a nice bike, then I bought what I now own.

spiz

Old 11-11-2008, 04:41 AM
Bad Pig
Road Master

I have no desire for a GW.....I'm a Harley guy through and through. call it loyalty. so what are the winger's excuses gonna be next year when they can no longer say that they are made in the good ole USA. how many Americans are there gonna be unemployed?......just my .02

Old 11-11-2008, 08:38 AM
wingman05
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too owned a 2005 Goldwing prior to purchasing my 2008 Ultra Classic. The Goldwing was powerful, smooth, almost turbine like, but the seating position was cramped and my legs, even with extending the seat back almost 2 inches, had my legs up aginst the faring. I sold it to a gal who had just set a record for the most miles ridden by a lady in a twelve month time frame (over 125,000 miles) who wanted a wing with ABS. I would still have it if Harley had not offered ABS on their 2008 touring line as an option. ABS (on a BMW) saved my life a few years back riding in congested New Jersey, and I wouldn't ride in this part of the country without it.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:59 AM
tima
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by spizzyman
Wow, guess I didn't see that comin. My statement was about future improvements, not anything negative about 09 owners. BTW, I have ridden an 09. It was a nice bike, then I bought what I now own.

spiz
Have two friends that got me into the HD. One with a '03, the other a '04. They're nice bikes but for the price and improvements I went with an '09.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:51 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

I test rode the new Gold Wing when it went to the 1800 platform. Two or three reasons I didn't go with it. 1. No feed back to let me know how fast I was going. I looked down at the speedo on the empty road I was on and I was doing 120+... Scarred the crap out of me. I didn't realize I was even going that fast. Thought for sure I'd get myself in trouble without any feedback as to my speed. (If this sounds crazy, then think about when you're dong 85-95 on your HD, and ask yourself if you have to look down at the speedo to see if your speeding) 2. No legroom, not able to maneuver my feet to different positions, very uncomfortable after just a short 40 minute ride. and 3. I really had a hard time with the looks of the thing. After riding a Harley for so many years, it seems that you just kind of fall in love with the "look" of them. Any stop for a break, lunch, gas, and you find yourself "looking and admiring" your bike. Just didn't get that charisma with the Gold Wing. Then of course there was the sound of it. I know I don't need to explain that. I'm sure they are great bikes for the right person. Just didn't work for me.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at the Goldwings, but who needs an airbag....
The 2,000 cc engine is bigger than what they put in there civics..
It did have a lot of cool buttons and gadgets..
And of course, who of us hasn't at least thought of reverse on a Harley.

But when all is said and done, I made the right choice with my 2009 Ultra.

Quick Reply: Ultra classic owner finally tries gw