Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Clutch adjustment

Bike (09 Ultra) hitting neutral on the way from 1st to 2nd, started after I had the clutch adjusted by dealer to hit the friction zone earlier in the lever release. They just did the cable adjustment, anything else I should have them check?

Old 11-10-2008, 05:42 AM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Ask them to adjust it correctly, or do it yourself, its easy. I'd opt for the do it yourself.

Place bike verticle. Take all of the adjustment out of the cable, so that the lever has lots of play. Then remove derby cover (this is the verticle part, if not oil may run out of the derby cover hole), loosen jamb nut on clutch, insert allen wrench into bolt and loosen , then tighten bolt until clutch pressure is felt, then back off 1/4 turn, want clutch to release sooner? Loosen bolt from 12 oclock position to 10 or leave at 12 instead of 1/4 turn out, You should not have to go past a 1/2 turn. While holding bolt tighten jamb nut. Install derby cover. Remove remaining slack in cable until you have 1/16 to 1/8" play at end of clutch lever to the perch bracket. Your done, now for the fun part.... a test ride. After warm up, roll throttle on in 2nd or 3rd gear and listen for rpm's to increase without the same forward thrust....if so the clutch is slipping or you have megga HP and tire is spinning. You need to back off on the clutch pressure, adjust bolt OUT. My guess is you have it perfect.

Changing of the oil in the primary has a huge affect on how the clutch performs. As well as the transmission oil for shifting. Advise.... change both sooner then HD recommends.

Last edited by timberland; 11-10-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:13 AM
LH
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to re-read what you just posted. You don't tighten the adjusting rod an additional 1/4 turn, you back it off a 1/4 turn.................

Old 11-10-2008, 08:10 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Throw red line shockproof in the tranny, you will be glad you did.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Already have Mobil1 90/145 gear oil in there, not a problem with sound or smoothness just hitting neutral. think its the adjustment. Put the syn in as soon as I got it home, as well as oil cooler.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LH
You might want to re-read what you just posted. You don't tighten the adjusting rod an additional 1/4 turn, you back it off a 1/4 turn.................
+1 Turn the adjusting rod clockwise til it's 'lightly' seated, then back it out and lock it down.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
kupitz
Cruiser

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

My 07 EGC only does this when the temps drop below 50...would the clutch adjustment cure this or is this more oil related?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
LH
Cruiser

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Already have Mobil1 90/145 gear oil in there, not a problem with sound or smoothness just hitting neutral. think its the adjustment. Put the syn in as soon as I got it home, as well as oil cooler.
Are you having problems finding neutral when you stop or is it hanging up in neutral between shifts?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Only between shifting after I stop at a light or for any reason.

Originally Posted by LH
Are you having problems finding neutral when you stop or is it hanging up in neutral between shifts?

Old 11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
LH
Cruiser

That's just the nature of the beast ... adjusting the clutch isn't going to help but it does get better with time, and a good synthetic trans oil will help..... I use Red Line heavy shockproof.

Quick Reply: Clutch adjustment