Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over Filled Transmission Fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 11:44 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Over Filled Transmission Fluid?

If you over fill the transmissionjust enough to make it come out / over flow, where will it hit the floor while the RK is on its kick stand? And where is it actually coming out? I had my 20000 mile service done about 1000 miles ago and now I'm getting a leak just below / behind the Primary drainplug. I had this problem at around 17000 miles and the dealer determined that it was the 'mainshaft seal'??? EXPENSIVE, mostly because I also had the chrome inner cover replaced. My memory sucks after 8pm on Sundays. The bike has been good since, and then at 20K mile service I used a very well known Indy. Nothing different showed upduring the service, and on up until 1000 miles and I'm getting drips around the same place. Put you hand up and in behind where the primary drain plug is and its wet with trans fluid. But over the last two rides here in 75 weather, it's dripping less, making me think the trans was over flowed. Checking the dip stick as per the service manual, it shows overfilled. Do I try to get the extra fluid out, and how? Or do you think it's a seal again. Also, I've noticed that my rear tire has worn at 6000 miles, and I'm a VERY easy rider (45mpg), so I'm lokingat my rear tire and it's tilting to the right of the frame while looking from behind. And my bike does have some vibration. Mabe the alignment of the belt is causing the seal to wear out? HELLPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

Old 11-10-2008, 12:40 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about the belt and wheel alignment part of your question, but I know on the bike I have that ('05 Electra Glide) on a drain and fill it takes 22 ounces on the refill. I think the book says it should hold "24 ounces" however i dont think those last 2 ounces fully drain out cuz if i put 24 ounces in then it leaks like that. If I put in 22 ounces it doesn't. On your bike you'll just have to see and watch the dipstick as you fill the tranny til you know for sure what's "FULL" for your bike on an oil change and how much it holds.

If it were my bike I'd drain it out and then refill it a little at a time and keep checking the dipstick til you determine it's full. Clean up the motor/primary area and then watch and see if you still have the leak. It still could actually be that seal that's the problem, but watch for that overfilled condition as this will give you a mess and drips like you describe.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:48 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I think if you drain in with it standing stright up it will all drain out and it will take 24oz

Old 11-10-2008, 07:01 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No reason to drain it all out. Just take out a few ounces and then bring it up to the level, if needed.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 AM
EasternSP
Banned

Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Just loosen the drain plug to the point where you can control the flow of the fluid running out with a catch pan underneith. Have some paper towels handy to clean your hands. Allow just a little bit of fluid to run out then screw the plug back in and check the fluid level.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If the trans is overfilled,it will vent oil out the vent tube and run down the location you have stated.Have someone hold the bike upright and ck the trans fluid.If it is overfull on the stick,get a suction tool and remove the excess oil in the trans through the fill opening.I bet a lot of trans output shaft seals have been replaced for a overfill condition.I made the mistake of draining the trans fluid and refilling it to the full mark on the stick while the bike was on the side stand and had the same leak as yours.Got a flashlight and saw the fluid dripping out the vent tube and followed it down the inside of the primary right by the trans shaft and drips out right behind the primary drain.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The tranny seal shouldn't blow out from a simple overfill unless the overflow tube becomes plugged allowing pressure to build within the trans. Should be an easy fix by removing some of the fluid down to the full mark or lower. The shop manual says 20-24 oz. of fluid - keep the level BELOW the full mark and check it with the bike upright and the plug screwed all the way down.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll suck some out of the dipstick fill, and also check the vent tube. Actually....one more question! The vent tube for the trans is the hose that is a 'question mark/candy cane' shape?? If that is correct, then it might be the seal because I've checked that area during the leak time and it seamed dry. But I'll take it off and blow air thru it.

Thanks again!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:16 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior

Sorry, another question. The book says to check with engine at operating temp. I had checked after riding for an hour. I let it sit for a few minutes on my lift, so it was straight up, and then checked it. It showed high and then seemed to only get a little higher as the bike sat cooling. So how do you all check the trans.... hot....warm...cooling..or cool...?

Thanks again!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:33 PM
asatguy
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
...The shop manual says 20-24 oz. of fluid - keep the level BELOW the full mark and check it with the bike upright and the plug screwed all the way down.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but my manual says to check the tranny fluid with the bike upright and the plug just resting on the threads (i.e. not screwed all the way in/down).

Quick Reply: Over Filled Transmission Fluid?