Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Runamuck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info guys, thanks.
If I only want the intercom can I do it with the chopped tour pak or does it have to be the king?

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Runamuck,
The way I understand it, the factory intercom ties into all of the switches that are built in on the speakers that attach to the Ultra tour pak. I do not think it will work without those. I chose the factory option because of the ability for my wife to be able to adjust volume, change chanels, and have a ptt cb button for chatting with other riders. If you do not care about this, then I would go with the Autocom. I have used Autocom on all of my other bikes. They have a good product and it is well made. I wanted to take advantage of being able to use all of the factory hand conctroles that come on the RG. Hope this helps.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:08 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

I have updated the original 1st thread to add the following. I finally got my bike over to the dealer to "flash" my radio after installing the cb/intercom/tourpak system. The cost was $90.00. Everything works fine and I am very satisfied with the sound and vox. I do want to point out that I went with the J&M high output headsets. They seem to be well made and perform flawlessly.

Thanks, hope this ended up being helpful.
Draft1

Old 12-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

IIRC, HD is offering '09 CB antennas that do not require a loading coil as on previous CB antenna installations. I suggest you confirm whether the '09 antenna requires the loading coil or not, and check to see if you are using the loading coil when you shouldn't be--it may effect your transmit function adversely if there is a mismatch, ultimately damaging the CB. And, in any event, I'd have the antenna tuned using an SWR meter just to be 100% sure.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Since this excellent thread was originally started in late 2008, HD has introduced a kit, Boom Audio Music and Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09, which allows you to retain your tank console (by mounting the rider headset connector independent of the console) and have passenger CB/Intercom w/o tour pak mounted controls. Here's the write-up on the kit installed on my EG:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tra-glide.html

Just another option to consider.

Carl

Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
cmezz
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been thinking of adding an intercom to my '09 RG, thanks for the list.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cmezz
I've been thinking of adding an intercom to my '09 RG, thanks for the list.
When I added the CB to my '09 Road Glide, I planed to add the intercom later. I first bought the CB off eBay that had been taken off of a '09 Ultra. After I installed the CB, I went to add the Intercom. I found that the Intercom had already been programed into the radio. It must be installed in the CB already. It saved me about $60. I didn't need the download to activate it. If you are looking for the CB or intercom, look at eBay and I bet it is already in all Ultra CBs that are being sold.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:20 AM
hksigman
Road Master

save this for later mod....

Old 01-09-2011, 11:31 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by sifularson
Great post. I'm sure it will help a lot of Road Glide owners like myself who are attempting to make their bikes into 'Ultra" Road Glides.
....... dam Steve, ..... lookin' @ that sig pic, i'd say you've done a heck-of-a-job converting your RG to an Ultra ! ....

Old 01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
....... dam Steve, ..... lookin' @ that sig pic, i'd say you've done a heck-of-a-job converting your RG to an Ultra ! ....
LOL. The easiest way to convert is to buy a new Road Glide Ultra.

Quick Reply: Rg ultra conversion done diy and parts list