Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts
Default MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.

I just received my December issue of Motorcycle Consumer News which has a nice evaluation of the 09 Road Glide. The caption reads "Best Harley FLTR Ever". For those that don't subscribe to this magazine, here are a few lines from their conclusion:
"While our initial impression was that the new Road Glide was a very satisfying ride over a variety of roads, our appreciation of its new frame and swingarm turned to awe when we had the opportunity to ride the '09 Road Glide back-to-back with an '07 Road King. We fully expected a noticeable difference but not to the extent we experienced." They also liked the increase in lean angle, throttle control, and nimble handling compared to the Suzuki C109RT.
They were also impressed with the Harmon Kardon sound, HD's self canceling turn signals, and said "the ride is extremely good considering the suspension's short travel (just 4.6"/3.0" front/rear." "The rider's seat is very comfortable for long distances and the passenger portion is also very good."

From David Searle's test log:
"I can't forget riding a 2007 CVO Ultra on the 101 Freeway north of San Luis Obispo. Cruising straight down the highway on a calm day, it wandered all over the lane, unable to hold a steady line as I struggled to keep the chassis underneath the weight of it's heavy fairing and windshield. I didn't experience any scary chassis weaving, but I made sure I didn't go fast enough to find out if it would happen, either. It was gorgeous, no doubt, priced at nearly $35,000, but no amount of high style could ever justify such inferior Dynamics.
This new Road Glide is light years ahead of that older FL model. From the first few feet of travel, the chassis reassures you that it will respond to your commands. The engine smoothness is uncanny, too, apparently another benefit of the improved engine mounting setup. It actually enjoys twisty roads now, and the small lift in the floorboards makes an amazing difference to the lean angles you can use. But I suppose what impressed me most, was how compliant its suspension was on our favorite bumpy canyon roads. No excuses this time!"

Old 11-09-2008, 02:54 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They don't have to convince me!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Whoop de frikken do! A Suzuki rider doing a test ride of one of the finest bikes made (Ugliest too). I Love the 09 but I also loved my 07 RKC, never had a problem with the chassis holding weight or dancing around, put Avons on the bike and it did not even follow groves in the road.

PS Thanks for the info

Last edited by masterblaster; 11-09-2008 at 03:59 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:53 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Ridewva;4093586]

From David Searle's test log:
"I can't forget riding a 2007 CVO Ultra on the 101 Freeway north of San Luis Obispo. Cruising straight down the highway on a calm day, it wandered all over the lane, unable to hold a steady line as I struggled to keep the chassis underneath the weight of it's heavy fairing and windshield. I didn't experience any scary chassis weaving, but I made sure I didn't go fast enough to find out if it would happen, either. It was gorgeous, no doubt, priced at nearly $35,000, but no amount of high style could ever justify such inferior Dynamics.
QUOTE]

WTF is this guy talkin'about? Sounds like he was running severely underinflated tires. I have ridden Touring bikes in the desert Southwest. the Sierra Nevada's, all through the Southeast, New England, & Canada, and have never experianced "failure to hold a steady line".

Old 11-09-2008, 04:42 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Why is it that a "good review" of a new Harley Davidson motorcycle soon turns into a "slam" by other HD owners who don't like it one bit?

Does it hurt your feelings that new bikes might be improved some? Is it not common knowledge that HD had touring frame problems for YEARS and the internet it ripe with people making "fix it" kits to help the older bikes track straight? There are several threads above addressing just this problem so acknowledge it please. Sure, take any review with a grain of salt but c'mon guys, get over it! Lets see, 98 mph, minus the inaccuracy = what, about 92-93 mph?? So what does that prove anyway?

Smells like "sour grapes" to me....

(People wouldn't be buying and installing all those kits if the problem was imaginary or "non existant" and also note that they aren't simply buying AVON tires as the fix either.)

Last edited by RODEO; 11-09-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:48 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 498 Likes on 259 Posts

Lies lies lies... it's all a bunch of lies, do NOT buy a Road Glide... they are ugly, and women will scorn you, your friend will turn their backs on you, and stray dogs will pee on your tires.....
You will have nothing left to live for, except riding, riding, and more riding, and who wants THAT crap????
(just kidding... it's a JOKE people)

Old 11-09-2008, 04:57 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

No joking about it, it is one fugly bike. But its a nice riding fugly HD, very nice riding whether an 07 or an 09, the 09's are a little better with the beefed up frame and gear ration changes but the not a major break through vs the 07, The guy lost all credibility with me comparing to a Suzuki. JMFUO

No sour grapes here as I owned/have both year touring bikes and rode both year RG's, stock and CVO.

As said before thanks for the info Ridewva.

Originally Posted by skootchnc
Lies lies lies... it's all a bunch of lies, do NOT buy a Road Glide... they are ugly, and women will scorn you, your friend will turn their backs on you, and stray dogs will pee on your tires.....
You will have nothing left to live for, except riding, riding, and more riding, and who wants THAT crap????
(just kidding... it's a JOKE people)

Old 11-09-2008, 05:07 PM
turbo54
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lean angle

Thats new information to me. I have drug the floor board more then ounce on N M winding doads. Im looking forward to my 09 RG sunglow red special order it should be mine dec.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with every comment except for the seat its not friendly for a big guy like me

Old 11-09-2008, 05:21 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by msh134
i agree with every comment except for the seat its not friendly for a big guy like me
Must be different for everybody because I'm 275 and I'm loving this factory seat. Normally that's one of the first things I consider changing and the thought hasn't crossed my mind because its working nice for me.

Quick Reply: MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.